PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition vs Training

ronin152
04-27-2013, 09:04 PM
How important is one relative to the other? I have heard phrases like 80% of your gains are from nutrition or you make your gains in the kitchen. If this is the case, does it really matter if you are doing 3 as opposed to 4 sets or x number of reps vs another #. As long as you had a pretty balanced routine and were making constant progress, your diet being in check would be more important?

phoxyphysique
04-27-2013, 09:10 PM
For me personally, I have noticed a HUGE difference after I cleaned up my eating and its all scheduled out now. I have been lifting since I was 14, had a kid at 19, at 24, after hearing the whole eating better thing and trying here and there and never seeing any amazing changes even with implemented cardio etc.. I swear I havent seen a greater improvement in strength or bf% loss EVER. So out of every person I have ever talked to that does shows, that are personal trainers everyone, they said its in what you eat, for ME thats the case. However everyone responds differently to things. :)

desslok
04-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Like most things in life, its as good as the weakest link.

ghepardo
04-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Nutrition and Training, broken down in simple sentences:

Without Training
Nutrition: Can lose WEIGHT, and can gain WEIGHT+BODYFAT (without training)

With Training
Will Lose More Fat, while Lifting
Chance to get Muscle Pounds while training

So, while not training,then is ok to choose nutrition over training
But, If you're bulking, or preserving muscle you'll have to choose Training AND Nutrition

determined4000
04-27-2013, 09:54 PM
75% nutrition
75% training
30 % not trying to fix arbitrary %s on meaningless things

AJL1
04-27-2013, 10:04 PM
There is no X% training, Y% diet. It is 100% training and 100% diet.

Think about that...

acoptar
04-27-2013, 10:48 PM
personally its 60% eating, 40% exercise

to get shredded you have to be on point, its not calories in and out. Its eating a specific way, specific foods to reach a specific goal. Skin wrapped around muscle with nothing inbetween. You just cant reach that eating cheeseburgers to match calories.
And on the other hand;
Without weight lifting you are going to have some under developed muscles, for example, look at many peoples rear delts (generally poorly developed), if you arent forcing a breakdown and repair of target muscles, what body are you hoping to achieve?

Makween
04-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Who gives a ****? Both are important.

tara19
04-28-2013, 01:05 AM
100% of both.

AlwaysTryin
04-28-2013, 03:07 AM

to get shredded you have to be on point, its not calories in and out. Its eating a specific way, specific foods to reach a specific goal. Skin wrapped around muscle with nothing inbetween. You just cant reach that eating cheeseburgers to match calories.
And on the other hand;
Without weight lifting you are going to have some under developed muscles, for example, look at many peoples rear delts (generally poorly developed), if you arent forcing a breakdown and repair of target muscles, what body are you hoping to achieve?

Care to explain what you're trying to say

DatMurse
04-28-2013, 03:24 AM

And on the other hand;

i make 400 calories burgers when i am cutting.
extra lean ground beef, 100 calorie sandwich bun and 2% cheese

digistp
04-28-2013, 04:35 AM
extra lean ground beef
Gotta have that 80/20. Delicious fat. Though I understand on a cut.

bs-stunting
04-28-2013, 05:02 AM
75% nutrition
75% training
30 % not trying to fix arbitrary %s on meaningless things

Hahaha bingo!

OP, why not just give both nutrition and training and everything else you do in your life 100%? I for one don't step into the gym and say "Hey, today I only have to give 30% as I know my nutrition will cover the other 70% today."

KobiDC
04-28-2013, 05:04 AM
Why does it matter? Both should be as consistent as possible IMO. :)

motiva8
04-28-2013, 05:11 AM
Mediocre diet + good training program > medicore training program + good diet.
You see plenty of people in the gym who are absolute idiots nutrition wise, don't count calories at all etc. Yet still manage to get decent results albeit at a slower rate.

That being said obviously aim for both, it ain't all that hard.

DatMurse
04-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Gotta have that 80/20. Delicious fat. Though I understand on a cut.
I think extra lean ground beef is tastier than regular. tbh.
i dont know why, my brother is the same way

ironically my favorite steak is a ribeye

MAGnitude
04-28-2013, 11:15 AM
For me personally, I have noticed a HUGE difference after I cleaned up my eating and its all scheduled out now. I have been lifting since I was 14, had a kid at 19, at 24, after hearing the whole eating better thing and trying here and there and never seeing any amazing changes even with implemented cardio etc.. I swear I havent seen a greater improvement in strength or bf% loss EVER. So out of every person I have ever talked to that does shows, that are personal trainers everyone, they said its in what you eat, for ME thats the case. However everyone responds differently to things. :)

define 'eating better'?

cjowns76
04-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Mediocre diet + good training program > medicore training program + good diet.
You see plenty of people in the gym who are absolute idiots nutrition wise, don't count calories at all etc. Yet still manage to get decent results albeit at a slower rate.

That being said obviously aim for both, it ain't all that hard.

Word.

Yeah, I see this as well. However, its just evidence to everyone being individual. I see people come into the gym and work their ASS off, but still can't lose weight/gain weight probably due to a horrible diet and lack of nutritional understanding.

For me its like what you stated. Back when I wasn't counting calories or anything like that I still made plenty of progress.

It's not that hard to do both. Seriously counting calories takes up maybe 5 minutes of my day. Finding a good program isn't too difficult either. Currently running 5/3/1 and love it.

phoxyphysique
04-28-2013, 12:50 PM
define 'eating better'?

Eating better.. I eat as soon as I get up, carb up with oatmeal and protein from eggbeaters.. then from there I go directly to the gym, two hours(its the max I get with them watching my kid) As soon as I am done with my workout, protein shake with 2 scoops (50g of protein from mine) then 2 hours later I eat again, chicken, green beans or broccoli and yams.. I have my food weighed out because I am getting ready for a competition.. Then two, maybe 3 hours I have chicken and broccoli, and another 2 or 3 same meal.. then 2 hours later my last protein shake, 2 scoops of casein (48g of protein).. I drink 1.5 to MAYBE 2 gallons of water a day. I have been eating like this for a solid week now and I tell ya I have never seen a bigger difference.. My abs are coming in, my cuts are coming out.. Pretty happy so far. When I start carb cycling that will be fun lol Good luck to you!

DatMurse
04-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Eating better.. I eat as soon as I get up, carb up with oatmeal and protein from eggbeaters.. then from there I go directly to the gym, two hours(its the max I get with them watching my kid) As soon as I am done with my workout, protein shake with 2 scoops (50g of protein from mine) then 2 hours later I eat again, chicken, green beans or broccoli and yams.. I have my food weighed out because I am getting ready for a competition.. Then two, maybe 3 hours I have chicken and broccoli, and another 2 or 3 same meal.. then 2 hours later my last protein shake, 2 scoops of casein (48g of protein).. I drink 1.5 to MAYBE 2 gallons of water a day. I have been eating like this for a solid week now and I tell ya I have never seen a bigger difference.. My abs are coming in, my cuts are coming out.. Pretty happy so far. When I start carb cycling that will be fun lol Good luck to you!

broscience at its best

digistp
04-28-2013, 01:42 PM
broscience at its best
Truth. Though, if he likes a boring diet and it works for him, more power to him; everyone's different.

James_bean
04-28-2013, 01:45 PM
You are correct to assume 80% nutrition and 20% training, obviously one without the other limits how far we can go but for example someone looking to lose weight who had a very good knowledge of macros and micros IMO would do better with just a little activity than someone doing alot of activity and having a diet all over the place.

bs-stunting
04-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Truth. Though, if he likes a boring diet and it works for him, more power to him; everyone's different.

Haha it is a female. She either has her hair cut baller status short, or pulled back so insanely tight she is legally blind.

And I agree with ya. At the end of the day, everything can label something "broscience", but if it works great for a person, who am I to hate on it. Like you said, everyone is different and that is what keeps the world fresh and sketchy.

digistp
04-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Haha it is a female. She either has her hair cut baller status short, or pulled back so insanely tight she is legally blind.
O.o my bad

DivaJana
04-28-2013, 03:03 PM
As long as you had a pretty balanced routine and were making constant progress, your diet being in check would be more important?

Until you are advanced enough to benefit from the tiny details, Just do that^^^ and stop worrying about nonsense.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

WonderPug
04-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Eating better.. I eat as soon as I get up, carb up with oatmeal and protein from eggbeaters.. then from there I go directly to the gym, two hours(its the max I get with them watching my kid) As soon as I am done with my workout, protein shake with 2 scoops (50g of protein from mine) then 2 hours later I eat again, chicken, green beans or broccoli and yams.. I have my food weighed out because I am getting ready for a competition.. Then two, maybe 3 hours I have chicken and broccoli, and another 2 or 3 same meal.. then 2 hours later my last protein shake, 2 scoops of casein (48g of protein).. I drink 1.5 to MAYBE 2 gallons of water a day. I have been eating like this for a solid week now and I tell ya I have never seen a bigger difference.. My abs are coming in, my cuts are coming out.. Pretty happy so far. When I start carb cycling that will be fun lol Good luck to you!Food for thought:

The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern. -- Alan Aragon (http://alanaragon.com/aarr.html)