PDA

View Full Version : Post workout mix - protein shake + BCAA + Creatine?

MrMakAttack
04-16-2013, 06:13 PM
I recently went to the vitamin shoppe and picked up some supplies. The guy that runs it is very knowledgeable on supplements and is a body builder. They were having a buy one get 1/2 off sale on any Body Tech or Vitamin Shoppe brands. At his previous suggestion, I take Assault by Muscle Pharm for my PWO. I also drink a glass of water with Dymatize Elite XT protein powder. After workout, he suggested taking a bit more creatine mono and some BCAA. My question is, what should I mix my creatine with? I'm on a low carb keto diet so drinking fruit juice isn't really an option. My Dymatize powder has sucralose in it. Is it okay to mix my creatine, BCAA and protein powder all together with some ice cold water? Will I be negating any effects by doing this?

BTW, for those who haven't tried it, BCAA powder tastes like SHT. It managed to overpower the flavor of my protein shake :(

Thoughts on mixing these 3 things post workout?

Also, should I take creatine in my offdays when I'm not lifting?

tmd17
04-16-2013, 06:36 PM
The guy is also a good salesman. BCAA's with your whey protein???

mordag
04-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Creatine you need 3-5g daily, take any time
Bcaa can be taken during workout
Protein shake can be taken any time since it is only there to hit protein macro

No need to mix all 3 post workout

52Lewis20Reed
04-16-2013, 06:46 PM

This

serp1114
04-16-2013, 06:50 PM
I remember your post from a few days ago. Like I said then you have only been working out for a month and a half all that stuff is not needed at this point. Protein, fish, and a multi is all you need right now. Perfect your workout routine and perfect your diet and then get into other supps. Supps are not magic they are there to just supplement your diet.

MrMakAttack
04-16-2013, 07:35 PM
The guy is also a good salesman. BCAA's with your whey protein???
No, he didn't tell me to mix that. The back of the BCAA bottle said I can mix it with a protein shake. I was just wondering about mixing creatine with a protein shake as Dymatize doesn't really have much sugar in it I don't think.

Thanks Mordag. It was just easiest that way for me. I'm really trying to watch my calories and carbs so that seemed to be the best/easiest way.

This

I remember your post from a few days ago. Like I said then you have only been working out for a month and a half all that stuff is not needed at this point. Protein, fish, and a multi is all you need right now. Perfect your workout routine and perfect your diet and then get into other supps. Supps are not magic they are there to just supplement your diet. I understand what they are for. I have a good diet I follow. I change my routine up alot. I wouldn't say I have a specific workout routine I follow, but I'm careful not to work the same muscle group 2 days in a row.

I have the protein powder. I can't take fish oil as I burp it up. I am taking a multi. What is wrong with taking creatine now as opposed to waiting? Won't I make the most significant gains if I combine it with the initial beginner muscle growth I'm going to get?
Anyhow, I appreciate your skepticism regarding whether I really need these....but as of right now, you have been one of a few people to tell me I don't need any of it. I know I can make big initial gains without any of this stuff...but if I'm going to get it into it, I want to make sure I do everything I can (that is SAFE and legal and works) to get the most out of what I'm doing.

So yea, just not sure if the protein mix will be a good delivery agent for the creatine. Mixing them together is easiest for me timewise and calorie wise.

MrMakAttack
04-16-2013, 07:38 PM
If I could drink fruit juices or higher carb drinks, I would mix the creatine with that...but I can't really drink those on this diet. I have read you need electrolytes or sugar of some sort to help deliver the creatine to the muscles.

MrMakAttack
04-17-2013, 05:39 AM
Bump: Looking for more opinions....

snorkelman
04-17-2013, 06:36 AM
Bro, you are getting scammed. There is NO REASON to take both free form BCAAs and whey at the same time. Stop doing that.

Also, you DO NOT need to take creatine with any juice. It is simple to take, just mix with any liquid of your choice. You really cannot screw that up.

MrMakAttack
04-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Bro, you are getting scammed. There is NO REASON to take both free form BCAAs and whey at the same time. Stop doing that.

Also, you DO NOT need to take creatine with any juice. It is simple to take, just mix with any liquid of your choice. You really cannot screw that up.

Do you mean "at the same time" in that I'm mixing the BCAA into the protein shake or that I don't need BCAA at all if I'm taking Protein powder? I only mix because the BCAA tastes like crap and since I'm on a low carb diet, I can't mix it with anything sweet. No way do I want to take it with water!

As for the creatine, I believe it says ont he bottle to take it with a fruit juice like grape juice because the sugar causes and insulin spike and make the creatine absorb better... Does that not sound right to you?

Here is a thread about BCAA and protein powder saying I should take both...just wasn't sure if I was wasting it by taking it with my protein powder. I mix creatine and BCAA with my protein powder for two reasons: convenience and taste. I just want to make sure I'm getting the most from each one of these supplements I am taking....

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4178123&page=1

Valhallabound86
04-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Do you mean "at the same time" in that I'm mixing the BCAA into the protein shake or that I don't need BCAA at all if I'm taking Protein powder? I only mix because the BCAA tastes like crap and since I'm on a low carb diet, I can't mix it with anything sweet. No way do I want to take it with water!

As for the creatine, I believe it says ont he bottle to take it with a fruit juice like grape juice because the sugar causes and insulin spike and make the creatine absorb better... Does that not sound right to you?

Here is a thread about BCAA and protein powder saying I should take both...just wasn't sure if I was wasting it by taking it with my protein powder. I mix creatine and BCAA with my protein powder for two reasons: convenience and taste. I just want to make sure I'm getting the most from each one of these supplements I am taking....

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4178123&page=1

Sugar with creatine will help saturation timing slightly, but after that point it will not make any difference whatsoever.

Protein is already comprised of BCAAs, thus free-form amino acids will be a drop in the bucket comparative to what you are already consuming. BCAAs are more beneficial during training, especially if working out in a fasted state.

xsx4u
04-17-2013, 06:58 AM
Not sure if taking BCAA after workout will help you much if taken along with protein which probably already have some in it. Been taking BCAAs before workout and creatine + protein post workout - seems working good. As for creatine you can take it pretty much anytime time just keep it to like 5g a day with water or whatever feels best to you

snorkelman
04-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Okay, listen up. I don't give a rat's ass what the label says. In fact, I would not buy a product from that company again on principle due to that label misinformation.

Some people believe that you need to ingest creatine with juice (grape juice is a favorite myth) or some other sugary drink. However, sugars are not needed for uptake because the creatine transporter is not insulin-dependent, but rather is a sodium-chloride dependent transporter. That being said, a large amount of insulinotropic substrate will enhance creatine accumulation by stimulating Na-K ATPase pump activity, but this is only even relevant during loading (if you choose to load).
You should realize that timing of creatine is completely a waste of time, except for a very narrow situation which is limited to someone during a <7 day initial loading period who wants to enhance creatine uptake faster than the traditional loading period due to needed athletic performance in <7 days. During maintenance phase, it makes no sense to try and enhance creatine uptake.

As for BCAAs, you must not realize that ALL protein contains BCAAs. The bulk (nasty-tasting) BCAAs that you seem to have are called free form BCAAs (FFBCAAs). When you consume FFBCAAs, they can pass through the intestinal lining into the bloodstream, after which they can travel throughout the body. Protein (whether it is whey or casein or beef or chicken or fish or egg, etc.) is first broken down by digestive enzymes and then becomes single amino acid molecules, which pass through the intestinal lining into the bloodstream, after which they can travel throughout the body.

So, if you are taking protein, when it breaks down you will have FFBCAAs.

Fbeckenbauer
04-17-2013, 07:06 AM
You don't need BCAAS at all, there's a niche who believe that when cutting and fasting they don't need to increase their protein but instead only take BCAAs and it will prevent the catabolism which would occur had they not taken the 3 of the 9 essential amino acids in protein. What started of as someones opinion was copy pasted and became a fact on this forum.

MrMakAttack
04-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks everyone. I have heard my Protein mix doesn't have that many BCAAs in it which is why the mgr of the vitamin shoppe suggested I get some. I was taking the BCAA post workout because he said it was good for recovery. Well, I naturally though recovery means AFTER i workout. Glad to hear that isn't the case. Looks like I can mix the BCAA with my PWO (should help tone down the flavor of the BCAA some) and a little extra creatine mono. Posty workout, a little more creatine and some protein powder sounds like it will do the trick.

So total, I would probably be taking 7.5gm of creatine during a workout day and then the recommended dosage (rounded tsp) of the BCAA.

You guys have been really helpful and i learned alot. +1 reps to all.

serp1114
04-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Aren't you taking mp assault.....if so which tub do you have the one that says 1/2 scoop is one serving or 1 scoop....if it is the 1/2 one you can take a full scoop of that and get all the creatine and bcaas you will need PWO.....honestly no need to take 7g of creatine on workout days all you need is 3-5 everyday and you will be good. I have honestly never taken free form bcaas before so I can't give you advice on them. If you want a solid cost effective protein with a good profile go with ON gold standard whey it has all the goodies you need, taste is so so it is priced very nicely.