PDA

View Full Version : With my diet do I need supplements? HELP NEWBIE HERE!

Weston1985
04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Okay so I am 5'7 and I weigh 195 lbs down from 200 a week ago and my goal is to be around 150 to 155. I have gone from consuming beer and pizza to eating extremely healthy and my question is simple: with my diet do I even need supplements? I am trying to burn fat and put on a little bit of muscle so please any advice will be greatly appreciated. To give you an insight on my diet here is what I consumed yesterday:

Breakfast:
Protein Shake (strawberries, AMP extreme 60 whey, yogurt, flaxseed, milk, honey, cinnamon)
2 cups of green tea (about half an hour after the shake)

Snack:
Orange and 2 hard boiled egg whites

Lunch:
Deli meat- roast beef
Raw carrots

Snack:
Raw broccoli and peanut butter

Dinner:
Caesar salad
Grilled salmon

Just guess but that is probably about 1500 calories.

I also consume about four 12 ounce glasses of water, not counting the water in the green tea. I suppose you can consider the AMP Whey a supplement, but do I need something other than that? My workouts consist of an intense body weight exercise circuit for 20 minutes 3 times a week (I'm covered in sweat and my heart is pounding afterwards) and I go on walks with my dog every single day for about 1.5 miles uphill. Again my goal is to drop body fat and get down to 150 lbs while gaining a little bit of muscle. I have considered taking grape seed extract but I wasn't sure. Is there a consensus supplement I could be taking to speed up the burning of fat???

Big.Jazayrli
04-19-2013, 01:12 AM
If I were you I would spend some serious time reading in the workout program and nutrition sections of the forum.. quite frankly you need some help in these departments!

Aside from that, once you've got yourself sorted, I'd throw in a thermogenic like ErgoShred (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ergogenix/ergo-shred.html) to help you along the way.

eekLV
04-19-2013, 02:28 AM
About the grape seed extract - when you cook your meat just add a couple tbs of each of unrefined extra virgin olive oil & unrefined grape seed oil - then you get the polyunsaturated fat plus the monounsaturated fats. Extracts are not all that great.

And even though you go uphill with your dog walking, make sure it is at least a brisk walk.

Also boost up your water to minimum of 80 oz a day - even up to 1 gallon.

|ceman
04-19-2013, 05:45 AM
If I were you I would spend some serious time reading in the workout program and nutrition sections of the forum.. quite frankly you need some help in these departments!

I agree with this big time. Your diet is really sketchy and will result in a lot of muscle loss, which you don't want. It's great that you've removed the junk food, but it's time to dial it in a bit more and get serious about nutrition.

At this point I do not think you are ready for any supplements and should focus on proper nutrition.

Weston1985
04-27-2013, 10:58 AM
About the grape seed extract - when you cook your meat just add a couple tbs of each of unrefined extra virgin olive oil & unrefined grape seed oil - then you get the polyunsaturated fat plus the monounsaturated fats. Extracts are not all that great.

And even though you go uphill with your dog walking, make sure it is at least a brisk walk.

Also boost up your water to minimum of 80 oz a day - even up to 1 gallon.

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I probably drink at least 80 oz a day if you count the green tea, water in the shakes and now I have a shake right before bed (mix of whey and Casein with water) so now that is 2 shakes a day, one in the morning and one before bedtime. I will go check out the nutrition section of the forums but really what more could I do? Any examples? I feel like right now I am basically eating all day and its all really healthy stuff, what would you change specifically about my diet? I don't eat this exact stuff every day but its pretty close, meaning I sub out veggies and protein so for example last night for dinner I had a NY steak and green beans (to replace the salmon and salad) so I change it up but that is the kind of food I eat everyday. Thanks in advance for any replies.

EDIT: Oh and I have always cooked everything in extra virgin olive oil. So basically every dinner has a good amount of olive oil in it. Beyond a salad every veggie I cook is done in olive oil.