PDA

View Full Version : Fish oil question

Swamp Dog
04-15-2013, 06:31 PM
What does it mean when my fish oil burns through a styrofoam cup the way the Alien Chestburster's blood burns through the hull of a ship?

Nope didn't research, feel free to give cheeky answers, but at least tell me if it's a good thing or not.

Terrimonas
04-15-2013, 06:35 PM
What does it mean when my fish oil burns through a styrofoam cup the way the Alien Chestburster's blood burns through the hull of a ship?

Nope didn't research, feel free to give cheeky answers, but at least tell me if it's a good thing or not.

It's otherworldly possessed by the essence of barracuda. A lot of oils do that.

quank
04-15-2013, 06:36 PM
What does it mean when my fish oil burns through a styrofoam cup?

sounds like you got the uncut version :(

Swamp Dog
04-15-2013, 06:36 PM
It's otherworldly possessed by the essence of barracuda.

Cheeky answer: check
But you did not fulfill the last of my request.
Negged
Next

Swamp Dog
04-15-2013, 06:39 PM
sounds like you got the uncut version :(

I really have no idea if it's a good thing or not. The youtube vids I've seen are giving conflicting reports, based on what they are trying to sell.

Terrimonas
04-15-2013, 06:42 PM
I really have no idea if it's a good thing or not. The youtube vids I've seen are giving conflicting reports, based on what they are trying to sell.

All it means it that one non-polar compound is dissolving another. Congrats, you have oil in capsules.

Swamp Dog
04-15-2013, 06:44 PM
All it means it that one non-polar compound is dissolving another.

Soooooo

I'm gonna need a liver right?

quank
04-15-2013, 06:46 PM

Wow, just watched that youtube video. didn't know that was out there. i should try that with my fish oil from the dollar store.

Swamp Dog
04-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Wow, just watched that youtube video. didn't know that was out there. i should try that with my fish oil from the dollar store.

I'm telling you, just like Alien blood.
It seems that I've read or heard that the good stuff does not dissolve styrofoam, yet as I've said. some claim that the good stuff eats right through styrofoam.
What do?

Terrimonas
04-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Soooooo

I'm gonna need a liver right?

Sounds like this video is spreading nonsense.

Terrimonas
04-15-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm telling you, just like Alien blood.
It seems that I've read or heard that the good stuff does not dissolve styrofoam, yet as I've said. some claim that the good stuff eats right through styrofoam.
What do?

Fish oil in ethyl ester form will dissolve styrofoam. So does fish oil in natural triglyceride form. EE just does it faster.

Swamp Dog
04-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Sounds like this video is spreading nonsense.

Somebody try it with Orange OxiMega. I know it's good quality.

Swamp Dog
04-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Fish oil in ethyl ester form will dissolve styrofoam. So does fish oil in natural triglyceride form. EE just does it faster.

That's it. Is the natural triglyceride form supposed to be better utilized?

Swamp Dog
04-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Apparently TG's are more easily utilized by the body.

powercage
04-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Unfortunately they are also quite a bit more expensive to hit equivalent epa/dha.

And like I said, even medical establishments use EE

Neopragmatist
04-15-2013, 10:05 PM
also remember that most, if not all, natural triglyceride forms are re-attached forms and not true TG forms. It goes through the same process as conventional ethyl ester forms go through (typically molecular distillation) that uses solvents like ethanol (or hexane) to break down the oil to make it more malleable. additional process is then used to re-attach the fatty acids. higher bioavailability? probably. but ethyl ester is more cost effective if budget is a concern.

Swamp Dog
04-16-2013, 05:07 AM
Thanks guys. From what I understand, EE's are a way to concentrate the EPA/DHA. It seems that the body has to go through a complicated process to break them back down into TG's.

Terrimonas
04-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys. From what I understand, EE's are a way to concentrate the EPA/DHA. It seems that the body has to go through a complicated process to break them back down into TG's.

Ethyl ester fish oil is not broken down to triacylglyerols. In the GI tract, hydrolysis of EEs yields all free fatty acids, while hydrolysis of each "natural triglyceride" generally yields 2 free fatty acids + 1 2-monoacylglycerol or 3 fatty acids + glycerol but predominantly the former.

Once absorbed and in the enterocytes, the free fatty acids from both types of fish oil are re-esterfied to triacylglyerols. The glycerol backbone is provided by either the 2-monoacylglycerol or from de novo synthesis depending upon the fed state and substrates present. "Natural triglyceride" fish oil can be self-sufficient in providing the glycerol backbone because of the 2-monoacylglycerol. To re-esterfy the fatty acids from EEs, 2-monoacylglycerol is either "stolen" from normal fat hydrolysis or the glycerol backbone is provided from de novo synthesis.