PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition Update

sks179
04-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Hi everyone!

I apologize for this novel, only read if you're interested. It's lengthy...

So, I recently posted a thread about my initial nutrition layout.
I'm 19, male, 6ft tall, weigh about 220 and am about my BF% is 30% (at least when I last checked and I was 230, I don't look much better, but I'm toning a bit- I don't have a measuring thingy). Anyways, I had posted before about eating 1600 calories and my Macros were 90g Protein, 190g Carbs and 50g Fat. These were rough estimates because it varied by 20 grams a day.

ANYWAY- I got a lot of great answers and found out 1600 calories a day would mess me up. I was led to a great thread made by Emma about calories and nutrition. So I've tried to follow it. I calculated my BMR as around 2200. I'm doing Lee Labrada's 12 Week Lean Body Program. So I either do weights, 30 min of cardio/interval or both- at least SOMETHING each day. Other than that, I'm a student so I sit a lot. I walk to and from class, but it's not far. I suppose that makes me slightly active. So multiply 2200 by 1.3 and you get 2860. If I wanna lose weight, subtract 500 and I get 2360 (about 2400). So I've been trying to eat that many calories a day. Because I don't always have access to a scale/measuring cups, I do the best I can, but I set my goal to 2200 calories just to make sure it's okay to go a bit over.

My new Macros are 193g Protein, 165g Carbs and 86g Fat. So It's split up 35/30/35. I've looked it up, and apparently it's not all that great to set it up by percentages. You should go by weight, BF% and lean muscle mass, etc. So this is what I'm doing. I mean, for me, it's tough to get that much protein. I usually end up with around 160g Protein and end up with a little more Fat and Carbs to make up for it. It still equals the same calories. My goal is to lose weight- and to get into shape in general. I'm obese/overweight and I want to get my weight down. I know building more lean mass helps tremendously with burning fat. And I'd love to have abs and whatnot- who wouldn't? But right now I just wanna lose the weight. Baby steps.

Before, I used to eat a bunch of processed, crappy foods. I could easily put away 3000-4000 calories of bad foods/soda. I entirely cut out soda and try to eat only natural foods, complex carbs, lean proteins, etc. Tons of vegetables. I drink 10 8oz cups of water a day. I don't sleep much, but that's college. The thing is, I feel like I'm ALWAYS full. I eat about 650 calories for breakfast, another 650 for lunch, 400 for dinner and I have 2 350 calorie snacks between meals (there could be slight fluctuations, but not that bad). I used to binge and only eat 2-3 times a day. But now I feel I'm constantly eating. I know it's fewer calories and better quality foods, but I feel like I'm not really going to lose much weight like this. But I just need to stick with it, right? Anyways, if you could just give your input, I'd appreciate it. Tell me if this is alright and if I'll lose weight. People in the last thread, while I am VERY thankful for the advice, recommended 3000 calories. If I tried to do that healthily, I don't think I'd be able to do it... That's a lot of food.

The first week, I dropped 7 lbs eating 1600 calories a day. This week, I've been eating 2200 calories, and haven't changed weight wise. I notice more muscle on me and I'm not as squishy. But a week probably isn't long enough to notice much, right? Eh, it's a 12 week program, so I have time. Gotta make the most out of it. But was jumping from 1600 to 2200 overnight a big deal? Did I mess up my metabolism? I don't understand these things. There's so much conflicting stuff out there... :'(

BlueRev
04-11-2013, 10:29 PM
1600 calories?
Just because you lost all that weight does not mean it was good weight.
Water/muscle

Stick with the 2200, Give it time. Takes years.

sks179
04-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Years?? Haha! I guess if I'm gonna do this, I better do it right. It's a lifestyle change. Thanks! Do you know if it was okay to go from 1600 to 2200 calories overnight? Should I have gradually increased? Anyways, I weighed myself this morning and was 217.6lbs. So I guess I'm still losing, just 1-2 lbs a week. So that's good.