PDA

View Full Version : Life vegetarian might turn to meat

VegetarianBB
04-07-2013, 05:25 PM
As the title says I've never had neat before I'm considering eating meat for better performance in the gym. Thoughts? WhAt are the pros of eatingeat over a vegetarian diet

DatMurse
04-07-2013, 05:31 PM
As the title says I've never had neat before I'm considering eating meat for better performance in the gym. Thoughts? WhAt are the pros of eatingeat over a vegetarian diet
Essential amino acids
vitamin b12.
if you become b12 anemic it is may require lifelong treatment
vitamin d
meat is high in micronutrients...

KwayZee
04-07-2013, 05:32 PM
You can definitely meet your protein requirements being vegan. There are even some well known bodybuilders who are vegan, though it is a lot more expensive from what I hear. The main pro of eating meat would be that it'd be lighter on the wallet ;)

bambam601
04-07-2013, 05:35 PM
i personally love meat. but my gf is vegan and she finds plenty of ways to get her protein in without meat sources.
as far as performance in the gym, are you sure it's from your vegetarian diet? it could definitely be another factor.
also are you cutting/bulking/maintaining? what are you current macros?
i feel like we need a little bit more info on you before we jump straight to eating meat as the solution

schnauzers
04-07-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm a vegetarian and I hit my calories, and macros just fine. I just recently had my blood tested and iron, B12, Vitamin D are all fine. You don't need meat for those vitamins/minerals anyway--you could always supplement.

pretend
04-07-2013, 05:48 PM

Meat tastes good. You're missing out.

KobiDC
04-07-2013, 07:02 PM
The pros of being a meat eater? Chicken.

MetilHed
04-07-2013, 07:05 PM

One word: BACON. Plus what the other people said.

KobiDC
04-07-2013, 07:22 PM
One word: BACON. Plus what the other people said.

Bacon wrapped chicken.. best of both worlds.

DatMurse
04-07-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm a vegetarian and I hit my calories, and macros just fine. I just recently had my blood tested and iron, B12, Vitamin D are all fine. You don't need meat for those vitamins/minerals anyway--you could always supplement.

Beliefs-cultural and pro-animal life aside.
If there were no fortified foods and supplementation
babies born would have neural tube defects
pernicious anemia(since there are no supplements you would die)

Luckily you can take these supplements.
I posted this for you to just think about.

I am not a carnivore. I am an omnivore. I love all types of food. I just want you to know that

Broseph82
04-07-2013, 07:46 PM
You can definitely meet your protein requirements being vegan. There are even some well known bodybuilders who are vegan, though it is a lot more expensive from what I hear. The main pro of eating meat would be that it'd be lighter on the wallet ;)

Vegan here. I go through about $600 a month on groceries. Meat won't give you an advantage in the gym. I tried going at red meat years ago and all it did was put more bodyfat around my abdominal area and ribs. I also felt sluggish in the morning after consumption. Never again. To each their own though.

To anyone who claims in deficient in any vitamins you're wrong. I get Bloodwork done every year and score in the top high numbers in everything and I DON'T take vitamins or b-12 supplements and such.

DatMurse
04-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Vegan here. I go through about $600 a month on groceries. Meat won't give you an advantage in the gym. I tried going at red meat years ago and all it did was put more bodyfat around my abdominal area and ribs. I also felt sluggish in the morning after consumption. Never again. To each their own though.

To anyone who claims in deficient in any vitamins you're wrong. I get Bloodwork done every year and score in the top high numbers in everything and I DON'T take vitamins or b-12 supplements and such.

I am sure that there are fortification of b12 within your food. As I said. If there was no fortification you wouldn't
Meat gives you an advantage in more amino acid profile at a much cheaper price

When I also talk about fortification I am talking about raw vegan vs vegan

I also dont know why saying meat would just put fat around your stomach.

We can all agree if you dont maintain the adequate amount of EAA then you wouldnt have as great as results.
Most people do not keep track of it.

Do you take any protein powders?

LiftCrispy
04-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Dudes who dont eat meat are fine by me. Its the chicks that dont that bug me. Maybe im this way inclined cos I love a good bj...

AJL1
04-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Vegetarian bodybuilding is pretty easy, it's the vegan diet that makes things tricky.

I consider myself a bit of a 'half-assed vegetarian'. My daily food plans that I write up don't contain any meat, but I'll eat it when I'm having dinner somewhere and it's being served up. I can't really speak for the long tern health effects, but in terms of hitting macros there is definitely no requirement to eat meat.

BrentEvo
04-09-2013, 01:15 AM
2 million years of evolution are the advantages. Just consumed 30 oz of fish and chicken. It was heaven.

We are at the top of the food chain for a reason. Take advantage. Don't forget naturally occurring creatine in meat, protein off the charts, all your BCAA's, and the fact you can go to Outback and all.

You truly have been missing out. For your cherry I'd recommend bacon wrapped filet mignon.

StackingPlates
04-09-2013, 09:07 AM
2 million years of evolution are the advantages.

Don't forget that vegetarianism has evolutionary roots as well. For example, many of the worst hunters in the tribe were vegetarians. Those who couldn't shoot their bows straight were stuck eating twigs and berries as well.

The very fact that we have people on this planet who have the ability to pick and choose entire food groups to abstain from is a good indicator that we have way too much time on our hands as a society...I wonder how many "vegetarians" there are in starving third world countries?

JLay87
04-09-2013, 09:43 AM
It doesn't really matter from a nutritional standpoint as long as you're hitting your macro/micro requirements. I used to be vegetarian for a short while and personally find it much easier to do this while eating meat, but then again I was terrible at being vegetarian so it might be easy for you depending on your lifestyle.

DatMurse
04-09-2013, 09:58 AM
we all agree about eating moderation.
we are omnivores.
eat processed/ eat non processed (clean/dirty) w/e you want to call it.
I think of it more as high satiety vs low satiety

eat fruits/veggis/meats/candy/grains all within moderation.

people are too extreme in todays world