PDA

View Full Version : Whey protein vs. whole foods

omzhamza
04-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Hello, just a quick question for you guys. Pretty much the deal in the title, I try to get my protein from whole foods but a lot of times I find myself having to take in at least 100g daily from whey powder. Any downsides to this? Should I try to get more of my protein from whole foods?

vismal
04-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Hello, just a quick question for you guys. Pretty much the deal in the title, I try to get my protein from whole foods but a lot of times I find myself having to take in at least 100g daily from whey powder. Any downsides to this? Should I try to get more of my protein from whole foods?The only real down side to whey is it doesn't do much for satiety. If that is not a problem for you then I wouldn't worry.

omzhamza
04-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Yeah so far it hasn't been a problem but I will keep it in mind for the future.

WonderPug
04-07-2013, 03:52 PM
How much protein are you trying to consume per day?

bambam601
04-07-2013, 03:54 PM
The only real down side to whey is it doesn't do much for satiety. If that is not a problem for you then I wouldn't worry.

^this. id much rather get my protein from food than a protein shake, keeps me fuller longer.

cumminslifter
04-07-2013, 03:54 PM
other protein sources can contain other macro/micro nutrients that you need

softpounder
04-07-2013, 04:00 PM
other protein sources can contain other macro/micro nutrients that you need

This is absolutely correct. A lot of sources of protein contain some micronutrients which will improve your general health, and also offer satiety.

Whey protein is just an "aw sh!t" in case you forgot to fill up your macros or caloric needs in a day, or you're on a tight budget or you're on the run (job requiring to move all the time like a nomad).

snorkelman
04-07-2013, 04:20 PM
While whole food is often touted as the best option, anyone worried about their micros should take a look at the label on their whey - it is loaded with micros.

Of course, for fiber and other goodies, you need another source. As is true with most things in life, moderation should be the goal.

jiggamanbill
04-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Hello, just a quick question for you guys. Pretty much the deal in the title, I try to get my protein from whole foods but a lot of times I find myself having to take in at least 100g daily from whey powder. Any downsides to this? Should I try to get more of my protein from whole foods?

whole foods are always preferred, however, if it is not possible to have actual food, then a shake can make a good substitute.

KobiDC
04-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Whole food is preached as a 'better' alternative to highly-processed whey protein... but in respect to standard ranking methods (protein efficiency ratio, biological value, amino acid score) whey protein scores higher than 'whole' sources such as beef, eggs, milk...etc, which is ironic as meat is usually praised as 'the best protein source'.

Moral of the story: get your protein however it suits you and from whatever source (don't make the large majority of your protein plant based however).

x-ray vision
04-07-2013, 04:59 PM
The only real down side to whey is it doesn't do much for satiety.
I get about half my protein from whey powder and it does a great job at keeping me sated. Apparently I'm not the only one.:

http://www.jacn.org/content/26/6/704S.full

DatMurse
04-07-2013, 05:03 PM
if you ever try casein. the satiety is much greater imo
it is more expensive...
if it spoils it does look like cheese though lol