PDA

View Full Version : How much longer should I keep "bulking"

sadkent
04-06-2013, 12:09 AM
I am currently up-to eating 3100 calories per day (200g protein, I don't count fat or carbs grams...I just make sure I get 200g protein and fill the rest with carbs & fat)

I am still gaining strength every week, but the weight gain has stopped.

btw - How important is it to count fat and carb grams? It seems overwhelming to do that, seems a ton easier to just count protein and calories only - Am I hurting myself by doing this?

If i don't gain anymore weight at 3100 for a few more weeks can I increase to 3200?

http://i.imgur.com/tEJLB4k.jpg

Chango99
04-06-2013, 12:22 AM
hello /fit/

And yes. Obviously. If you don't know what goes in/out, you won't know what's holding you back and how to remedy them.

In regards to the pic, seems doubtful that's 10 month progress. If it is, that's great... but diff bed frame, load of chest hair prior and pretty sizeable increase in arm size at least it looks like.

I also don't understand how you can say you don't count carbs or fats but know you take in 3100 calories.

softpounder
04-06-2013, 12:24 AM
I am currently up-to eating 3100 calories per day (200g protein, I don't count fat or carbs grams...I just make sure I get 200g protein and fill the rest with carbs & fat)

btw - How important is it to count fat and carb grams? It seems overwhelming to do that, seems a ton easier to just count protein and calories only - Am I hurting myself by doing this?

If i don't gain anymore weight at 3100 for a few more weeks can I increase to 3200?

Try 3200.

That's okay if you count protein, but I would highly count fat & carbs too, especially fat for hormonal levels.

You're doing amazing results bro, but I guess a bit more mass wouldn't help!

Inspirational.

lmw18
04-06-2013, 12:35 AM
I'd increase it to 3400 instead. As 3100 is your new maintenance, you should increase calories by 10% to put you back in a 10% surplus. A 100 calorie surplus would be a waste of time IMO.

Ammex
04-06-2013, 12:36 AM
hello /fit/

And yes. Obviously. If you don't know what goes in/out, you won't know what's holding you back and how to remedy them.

In regards to the pic, seems doubtful that's 10 month progress. If it is, that's great... but diff bed frame, load of chest hair prior and pretty sizeable increase in arm size at least it looks like.

Looks like 10 months progress to me if its his first bulk and he's consistent.

sadkent
04-06-2013, 12:43 AM

I also don't understand how you can say you don't count carbs or fats but know you take in 3100 calories.

I count 200g protein from my whey/chicken/whatever. Then I fill the rest of my calories by looking at nutritional labels or google veggie/fruit per 100g calories and fill the rest in by just counting calories instead of going for exact fat/carbs. I probably get around 50-70g fat per day and the rest is carbs.

Here's my gym membership card. Signed up for a year my first day like a typical fatty.

http://i.imgur.com/nVqbwpK.jpg

sadkent
04-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Looks like 10 months progress to me if its his first bulk and he's consistent.

Yeah I haven't had a break at all since i started. In-fact this week has been my first week off the gym. Took that progress photo today and I haven't been to the gym in 4 days since I decided I should prob give it a rest and let the joints get some healing. Can't wait to get back into it on monday.

I've been counting my protein in take and caloric intake every single day since I started lifting.

I did tons of research on nutrition reading a lot of alan aragon and lanye norton and been watching a lot of videos from those guys at 3DMJ especially from eric helms and alberto nunez before I started lifting.

Chango99
04-06-2013, 01:01 AM
I count 200g protein from my whey/chicken/whatever. Then I fill the rest of my calories by looking at nutritional labels or google veggie/fruit per 100g calories and fill the rest in by just counting calories instead of going for exact fat/carbs. I probably get around 50-70g fat per day and the rest is carbs.

Here's my gym membership card. Signed up for a year my first day like a typical fatty.

http://i.imgur.com/nVqbwpK.pg

Then congrats, you have great potential genetically. 50-70g of fat is a pretty good amount. And yes, go ahead and increase the calories if you are maintaining at 3100. I'd say go for 10% more than maintenance as others have said

lovingit
04-06-2013, 04:40 AM

Nice work! I wold increase cals if you stop gaining. I think the way you are doing it is fine as long as you are getting minimum fat requirements. Not everyone needs to track every little thing. On my last bulk all I counted was protein and cals and I bulked just fine, IMO. On a cut I track everything.

Merton44
04-06-2013, 05:07 AM
[QUOTE=sadkent;1051043161]I am currently up-to eating 3100 calories per day (200g protein, I don't count fat or carbs grams...I just make sure I get 200g protein and fill the rest with carbs & fat)

Good job, i am currently doing the same as you on 3100 calories and only count protein and calorie intake. What is your workout routine like if you dont mind ?

ruicosta
04-06-2013, 03:26 PM
post your diet breakfast, lunch etc.

SayMilesAway
04-06-2013, 03:50 PM
I am sure that if you are hitting your protein requirements and then filling the rest with whatever, I'm sure your fats are in line.

softpounder
04-06-2013, 04:17 PM
post your diet breakfast, lunch etc.

Why would he need to? He already told us his macros and calories. That's all you need to know.

Other than that, you cannot copy other's TDEE and macros, everyone's TDEE and macros are different.

OoChadwickoO
04-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Good job op! You still have room to bulk, big change, im suprised how much your body regulated muscle and fat to turn out how you look currentyl!

tden99
04-06-2013, 07:24 PM
wow thats a great improvement, I would just keep doing what your doing and add some more cals

Devils
04-06-2013, 09:55 PM
If you continue to get stronger, then keep bulking slowly.

ruicosta
04-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Why would he need to? He already told us his macros and calories. That's all you need to know.

Other than that, you cannot copy other's TDEE and macros, everyone's TDEE and macros are different.

to see what foods he's eating, I could get my macros from just mcdonalds, doesn't mean i'm eating good.

DatMurse
04-07-2013, 01:20 PM
bulk to where comfortable but do not exceed 20% bodyfat.
if you need to cut but dont want to risk muscle loss I would say 10-12

just how I personally feel

It is all a matter of preference but it is your body and do what makes you happy

softpounder
04-07-2013, 01:38 PM
to see what foods he's eating, I could get my macros from just mcdonalds, doesn't mean i'm eating good.

Won't harm your body composition.

Definitely not the best choice, but pop some multi-v's and it's still fine.

Didn't you hear about the guy eating 31 days in a row, multi-v's, twinkies, and protein shakes and still lost weight and looked better than ever?

bambam601
04-07-2013, 03:11 PM
very impressive bulk my man! like other said, if you're still gaining strength and comfortable with how you look then continue to bulk. it's up to you pretty much, but my opinion is to continue the bulk

softpounder
04-08-2013, 11:31 AM

You negged me with your redness, -0 to me.
Oh noes.

Btw, nothing called eating clean or dirty. You'll need to re-learn your nutrition.

As usual, for most newbies, I would refer you to the stickies and take your time to read them. Also, google up anything.

ruicosta
04-10-2013, 09:56 AM
You negged me with your redness, -0 to me.
Oh noes.

Btw, nothing called eating clean or dirty. You'll need to re-learn your nutrition.

As usual, for most newbies, I would refer you to the stickies and take your time to read them. Also, google up anything.

Bothered.