PDA

View Full Version : Help with my Intermittent Fasting without Pre-Workouts - muscle gain goals

elbbub
04-04-2013, 01:59 AM
Hello
i hope some of you can provide some decent advise.
I'm a 19 year old male, 5'11 and have been training for 2 years trying to build as much muscle as possible and have gone from 143 pounds to 174pounds without any form of diet or supplement. Ive started to think more seriously about making some muscle gains and have thought about bringing in a diet to cut back on some body fat (i have 12-13%) and seen allot about the success of intermittent fasting, so I decided to give it a try this week.

I'm at work 9am to 5.30pm which makes my eating window a slight challenge, i workout at 06:30 to 07:30 without any pre-workout and have a protein shake right after my workout, and another high protein meal about 30-40 minutes after, and then 2 other high protein meals in the day and start my fast at 15:30pm and then again break my fast the next day after my 06:30 workout.

I have heard that training without pre-workouts aren't ideal, but i really don't want to spend money on extra supplements. Any suggestions as to what i should do for my diet to be ideal for muscle gaining? my ultimate goal is to be 195 pounds with 8-9% body fat

Also, what would be a good plan for meal routine for me to reach my goals?
your advise would be much appreciated.

WonderPug
04-04-2013, 02:09 AM
Firstly, there's no reason to use IF if the protocol is not convenient.

In regard to a "preworkout" supplement, just have a cup of coffee if you feel you need a boost.

KobiDC
04-04-2013, 02:09 AM
I have heard that training without pre-workouts aren't ideal, but i really don't want to spend money on extra supplements. Any suggestions as to what i should do for my diet to be ideal for muscle gaining? my ultimate goal is to be 195 pounds with 8-9% body fat

Where did you hear this?

elbbub
04-04-2013, 02:19 AM
Where did you hear this?

Everywhere I have read about intermittent fasting for an early morning workout suggested that a BCAA is required before the workout and after, I want to avoid this. But apparently not having this results in muscle loss if I'm training at the end of my fast?

KobiDC
04-04-2013, 02:32 AM
Everywhere I have read about intermittent fasting for an early morning workout suggested that a BCAA is required before the workout and after, I want to avoid this. But apparently not having this results in muscle loss if I'm training at the end of my fast?

Why not just have a scoop of whey pre-workout if you're worried about catabolism? I, like many others, just train fasted with coffee... but if you're that worried, just have some protein PWO. Another benefit is that a pre-workout scoop of whey (20g) was shown in a study to raise the muscular uptake of amino acids up to 4.4 times pre-exercise levels, and this uptake lasted until 3 hours post-workout; essentially making a post-workout shake (with the intention of reducing catabolism) rather redundant... sort of like killing 2 birds with one stone.

But overall, I would just advise you not to worry too much about the specifics. If you're getting sufficient macronutrients and micronutrients at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

WeeMizzle
04-04-2013, 02:40 AM
I'm a big fan of IF. I wake up in the mornings, train fasted, and don't usually break my fast till about 10am and finish at 6pm. It means I can get home from work (which is usually around 7:30pm), and I dont need to worry about cooking dinner. It saves me a lot of time. All I need to do is cook my meals for the following day. Its great too that I can adjust it, for example if I'm going out I simply move my window to incorporate dinner and any drinks.
Remember IF is not a miracle pill. Its simply a way of eating. There is no difference between eating 5 meals a day and hitting your macros, and doing IF and hitting your macros.
I do it simply because it suits my lifestyle.
BCAA are a waste of time as well in my opinion. Don't bother.

AlwaysTryin
04-04-2013, 02:44 AM
I'm a big fan of IF. I wake up in the mornings, train fasted, and don't usually break my fast till about 10am and finish at 6pm. It means I can get home from work (which is usually around 7:30pm), and I dont need to worry about cooking dinner. It saves me a lot of time. All I need to do is cook my meals for the following day. Its great too that I can adjust it, for example if I'm going out I simply move my window to incorporate dinner and any drinks.
Remember IF is not a miracle pill. Its simply a way of eating. There is no difference between eating 5 meals a day and hitting your macros, and doing IF and hitting your macros.
I do it simply because it suits my lifestyle.
BCAA are a waste of time as well in my opinion. Don't bother.

Lol what? So cooking meals for the next day saves you time compared to one meal at dinner?

elbbub
04-04-2013, 02:54 AM
What would be ideal for muscle gains then? To have a pre workout shake or a immediate post workout shake?

samps6
04-04-2013, 02:58 AM
Hello
i hope some of you can provide some decent advise.
I'm a 19 year old male, 5'11 and have been training for 2 years trying to build as much muscle as possible and have gone from 143 pounds to 174pounds without any form of diet or supplement. Ive started to think more seriously about making some muscle gains and have thought about bringing in a diet to cut back on some body fat (i have 12-13%) and seen allot about the success of intermittent fasting, so I decided to give it a try this week.

I'm at work 9am to 5.30pm which makes my eating window a slight challenge, i workout at 06:30 to 07:30 without any pre-workout and have a protein shake right after my workout, and another high protein meal about 30-40 minutes after, and then 2 other high protein meals in the day and start my fast at 15:30pm and then again break my fast the next day after my 06:30 workout.

Also, what would be a good plan for meal routine for me to reach my goals?
your advise would be much appreciated. im following IF, and believe me, u dont NEED BCAAs, specially if u cant afford them..

the proper amount of protien u ingest isthe clue!

Just let me suggest something: post-workout,
- Have ur BIG MEAL instead of just whey protein and then the meal (doing IF it doesnt make sense aton all that u are looking for a fast digestion of whey!) or if overall u cant cover ur daily protein intake, JUST Take WHEY SHAKE with the MEAL to cover up protien intake!

anyway on IF the gains in muscle mass are slow!

KobiDC
04-04-2013, 03:00 AM
What would be ideal for muscle gains then? To have a pre workout shake or a immediate post workout shake?

Before you worry about nutrient timing you should make sure your total net energy balance is appropriate first, and you've eaten sufficient macronutrients and micronutrients. Leave the specifics up to chance; they won't affect your body composition as much as you think they would.

WeeMizzle
04-04-2013, 04:28 AM
Lol what? So cooking meals for the next day saves you time compared to one meal at dinner?

Exactly. I would cook something nice for dinner. Eat. Then cook my meals for the following day.
IF means I only cook my meals for the following day.
Unless you are one of those people who can eat the same thing every meal and cook in bulk. That's not me.