PDA

View Full Version : Too Good To Be True?

BumperSticker
03-27-2013, 03:54 AM
In my search for healthy, high protein, high cal food I spent no less than 2 hours in my local supermarket until I found something, surprisingly in the vegan section. It's gluten free organic black bean spaghetti which sells for a shocking low price of 4$ per 200grams. When I looked at the nutrition facts I was amazed by the amount of protein these beans packed.
Nutrition facts for entire pack (200grams / 7.05oz):
642 cal.
90g protein
8g fat
60g carbs

picture: oi48.tinypic.com/2vvsuo9.jpg

Do you think these are too good to be true? Could there be any bad side for consuming these on a regular basis? I plan on eating 200grams (entire pack) every other day, because their so freaking delicious.

Aremfi
03-27-2013, 04:07 AM
If I am looking at the package correctly, and after searching nutrition for black beans from various sites, I would say it has 25g protein in the whole package. I could be wrong, I recently had a weird nutrition run in with Jennie O breakfast turkey sausage. It says it only has 5 servings per container, but by the serving size it actually has 10. My mind was blown.

BumperSticker
03-27-2013, 04:11 AM
If I am looking at the package correctly, and after searching nutrition for black beans from various sites, I would say it has 25g protein in the whole package. I could be wrong, I recently had a weird nutrition run in with Jennie O breakfast turkey sausage. It says it only has 5 servings per container, but by the serving size it actually has 10. My mind was blown.
I too checked the nutrition for black beans and this just doesn't make sense...
Could the nutrition facts on the back of the package be wrong?

usawinston
03-27-2013, 04:29 AM
In my search for healthy, high protein, high cal food I spent no less than 2 hours in my local supermarket until I found something, surprisingly in the vegan section. It's gluten free organic black bean spaghetti which sells for a shocking low price of 4$ per 200grams. When I looked at the nutrition facts I was amazed by the amount of protein these beans packed.
642 cal.
90g protein
8g fat
60g carbs

Do you think these are too good to be true? Could there be any bad side for consuming these on a regular basis? I plan on eating 200grams (entire pack) every other day, because their so freaking delicious.

I'm extremely skeptical.

moosedahgoose
03-27-2013, 04:44 AM
I'm extremely skeptical.

As am I. Shouldn't there be more fiber then 2g?

The ingredients list is organic black beans and water...

Jokrdk
03-27-2013, 04:46 AM
Weird indeed. Sometimes the packaging here (im from the Netherlands) includes a recipe or smth. Could that be it?

motiva8
03-27-2013, 05:01 AM
As am I. Shouldn't there be more fiber then 2g?
The ingredients list is organic black beans and water...

Depends on the processing of it, best bet OP would be to call up/email their company & enquire how the f*ck they make the stuff. All beans have a higher carb content than protein, this food is the opposite. So either their info is off or somewhere in the processing they remove the carbs, maybe the protein serves some function as a binder (eggs usually take that place but this is vegan)?

At 4 quid i wouldn't say its that cheap though for a high calorie high protein meal, A pizza would be cheaper & has a higher calorie/protein content.

BumperSticker
03-27-2013, 05:38 AM
Wrote an email to manufacturer. Hopefully, I'll get an honest answer.
I would really like to know if these are legit...

moosedahgoose
03-27-2013, 05:41 AM
Wrote an email to manufacturer. Hopefully, I'll get an honest answer.
I would really like to know if these are legit...

In for that answer.

Please Respond.

BumperSticker
03-27-2013, 05:51 AM
In for that answer.

Please Respond.
Will update thread once I get the answer.
I highly doubt they'll even bother replying though...

ARD87
03-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Not sure if this is what you got but,
cals:187
fat: 4.5
Carb: 16
Protein: 20.5

so if we make cals equal then roughly 3.5 servings of this one would be equal to yours
cals: 654
fat: 15.75
carb: 56
protien: 71.75

https://www.navanfoods.com/explore-asian/explore-asian-organic-black-bean-spaghetti

clifford4970
03-27-2013, 09:13 AM
642 cal.
90g protein
8g fat
60g carbs

Could be true, but seems a little off seeing 8g Fat, 90g Protein and 60g Carbs equals 672 calories and not 642... but my math could be wrong.

ironwill2008
03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
In my search for healthy, high protein, high cal food I spent no less than 2 hours in my local supermarket ..

I'm wondering how someone can wander around in a supermarket for 2 hours without finding the meat department.

MetilHed
03-27-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm wondering how someone can wander around in a supermarket for 2 hours without finding the meat department.

^^This^^

BumperSticker
03-28-2013, 05:20 AM

That's because I eat meat, fish and poultry on a regular basis, and I wanted to mix things up a bit.

SkydogGinsberg
03-28-2013, 02:32 PM
... black bean spaghetti which sells for a shocking low price of 4$ per 200grams.
$9/lb pasta ????

Rian016
03-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Very interested in this, but it does seem too good to be true. Hope it turns out to be legit

Weird, on the pic you posted the nutrition facts are different than the ones listed on other website selling them

cals:187
fat: 4.5
Carb: 16
Protein: 20.5

djsaad1
03-28-2013, 06:53 PM
There are a lot of different black bean spaghettis and they are all similar macros. I just don't understand how it has so much protein, raw black beans don't have as much protein per calorie, so how does black bean spaghetti have so much protein?