PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else missing store bought cake?

DaltonMichael
03-25-2013, 08:55 PM
I haven't had any in so long, simply because I don't even need to read the ingredients anymore, they've ALL got hydrogenated oil in them. They taste soooo damn good, maybe someone knows of similar cake without the crap in it? Nowadays I just buy those bakery shoppe sweets that dominantly use safe ingredients.

Thanks,
-Dalton

gbullock32
03-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Just eat some in moderation... it wont kill you; but home made is always better (not even talking about ingredients, but purely from tastes standpoint).

KobiDC
03-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Just eat some in moderation... it wont kill you; but home made is always better (not even talking about ingredients, but purely from tastes standpoint).

Not when you can't cook. ;)

Luckily I have 2 sisters that love baking sweets... mmm homemade lemon cheesecake.

AlwaysTryin
03-25-2013, 11:50 PM
No because I eat foods I want to eat

ChrisAnthonyNel
03-26-2013, 12:35 AM
I haven't had any in so long, simply because I don't even need to read the ingredients anymore, they've ALL got hydrogenated oil in them. They taste soooo damn good, maybe someone knows of similar cake without the crap in it? Nowadays I just buy those bakery shoppe sweets that dominantly use safe ingredients.

Thanks,
-Dalton

My gift to you: "Pillsbury Sugar Free Cake" Just substitute or reduce the amount of oil they recommend you use. Your welcome :)

AlwaysTryin
03-26-2013, 12:49 AM
My gift to you: "Pillsbury Sugar Free Cake" Just substitute or reduce the amount of oil they recommend you use. Your welcome :)

Ingredients ENRICHED BLEACHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), MALTITOL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, BAKING POWDER (BAKING SODA, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE), CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOESTERS, CELLULOSE, SALT, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN GUM, PROPYLENE GLYCOL ESTERS OF FATTY ACIDS, CELLULOSE GUM, SODIUM CASEINATE, POLYSORBATE 60, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (NON NUTRITIVE SWEETENER), SODIUM STEARATE, SUCRALOSE (NON NUTRITIVE SWEETENER), DATEM, RED 40, YELLOW 5, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

ChrisAnthonyNel
03-26-2013, 12:53 AM
Ingredients ENRICHED BLEACHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), MALTITOL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, BAKING POWDER (BAKING SODA, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE), CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOESTERS, CELLULOSE, SALT, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN GUM, PROPYLENE GLYCOL ESTERS OF FATTY ACIDS, CELLULOSE GUM, SODIUM CASEINATE, POLYSORBATE 60, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (NON NUTRITIVE SWEETENER), SODIUM STEARATE, SUCRALOSE (NON NUTRITIVE SWEETENER), DATEM, RED 40, YELLOW 5, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

Point taken lol hey, I didn't say it was healthy. Op is on the hunt for a "better" alternative that avoids fat/sugar. It's better than eating a cake WITH oil and sugar loaded in it.

KobiDC
03-26-2013, 12:57 AM
Point taken lol hey, I didn't say it was healthy. Op is on the hunt for a "better" alternative that avoids fat/sugar. It's better than eating a cake WITH oil and sugar loaded in it.

Can you please quote the part where OP said this? What I understood from OP's post is that he refrains from eating store-brought cake due to the hydrogenated oils in them... I see nothing about avoiding general fats and sugar.

ChrisAnthonyNel
03-26-2013, 01:13 AM
Can you please quote the part where OP said this? What I understood from OP's post is that he refrains from eating store-brought cake due to the hydrogenated oils in them... I see nothing about avoiding general fats and sugar.

Got ya. Op said he wanted to avoid "hydrogenated oils" and wanted a suggestion for "a similar cake without the crap in it." I interpreted "crap" as oil/sugar, but hey that's my personal interpretation...

AlwaysTryin
03-26-2013, 03:56 AM

You were saying it was a gift for him, that's not a gift

AlwaysTryin
03-26-2013, 03:58 AM
Got ya. Op said he wanted to avoid "hydrogenated oils" and wanted a suggestion for "a similar cake without the crap in it." I interpreted "crap" as oil/sugar, but hey that's my personal interpretation...

So why suggest an item with them...

ChrisAnthonyNel
03-26-2013, 10:10 AM
So why suggest an item with them...

What do you mean by "with them". The product I suggested is sugar free and the oil that they recommend be added can be substituted. That's "with out". And for someone looking for a cake without sugar/oil, and that fits into your macros nicely; I think it is a gift, because its macro friendly.Carbs without the sugar/fat. But then again if that's not what op was meaning by "without the crap" then op can ignore my suggestion. And you do have a point on the ingredients being ****ty. But why are you being so confrontational about a suggestion?? Do you and Be happy bro. Life is too short to go around forums on the Internet bashing people's cake suggestions :)

AlwaysTryin
03-26-2013, 12:52 PM
What do you mean by "with them". The product I suggested is sugar free and the oil that they recommend be added can be substituted. That's "with out". And for someone looking for a cake without sugar/oil, and that fits into your macros nicely; I think it is a gift, because its macro friendly.Carbs without the sugar/fat. But then again if that's not what op was meaning by "without the crap" then op can ignore my suggestion. And you do have a point on the ingredients being ****ty. But why are you being so confrontational about a suggestion?? Do you and Be happy bro. Life is too short to go around forums on the Internet bashing people's cake suggestions :)

Did you read the ingredient list?

usawinston
03-26-2013, 01:13 PM

Maltitol is their excuse for "sugar free". Intestinal nightmare.

ChrisAnthonyNel
03-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Did you read the ingredient list?

I'm assuming the oil in the ingredient list you posted is if you prepare the product as it recommends. Which is why I said you could substitute it. If I'm wrong in that assumption then the 3.5g of fat per serving is still better than most cakes that have a ridiculously higher amount of fat content.

Makween
03-26-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm assuming the oil in the ingredient list you posted is if you prepare the product as it recommends. Which is why I said you could substitute it. If I'm wrong in that assumption then the 3.5g of fat per serving is still better than most cakes that have a ridiculously higher amount of fat content.

Do you really think that they're suggesting people add partially hydrogenated soybean oil? How many people do you know with a bottle of partially hydrogenated soybean oil in their kitchen cupboard?

ChrisAnthonyNel
03-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Do you really think that they're suggesting people add partially hydrogenated soybean oil? How many people do you know with a bottle of partially hydrogenated soybean oil in their kitchen cupboard?

Did you miss this part >> "If I'm wrong in that assumption then the 3.5g of fat per serving is still better than most cakes that have a ridiculously higher amount of fat content."

blindspot13
03-26-2013, 01:25 PM
if you want to eat some cake, make it and eat some cake. You're 5'9 120? You should be eaten 2 cakes and a pint of ice cream everyday.

Makween
03-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Did you miss this part >> "If I'm wrong in that assumption then the 3.5g of fat per serving is still better than most cakes that have a ridiculously higher amount of fat content."

You didn't answer my question. Whether you were right or wrong, was that seriously the assumption that you made?

A simple yes or no would suffice.

gixxer0.6g
03-26-2013, 01:32 PM
2 scoops of whey protein
2 T soy flour
3 T splenda
1 egg

Nuke for 1:20 sec

= protein cake. Put Walden Farms sauces on top for even more awesomeness

Even better is the protein cheesecake recipe. Look it up in the cutting thread. It's FF cream cheese, greek yogurt, eggs, protein powder and vanilla extract.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3/gixxer06g/IMG_20130324_203119_zps53c40201.jpg

moneyrich
03-26-2013, 01:42 PM
You're a nutrition consultant?........... How easy was it to get certified?
This is what is wrong with the bodybuilding community. People claim to eat healthy and yet don't even bother to read the ingredient labels to avoid trans fats.
Your suggestion is not better than eating cake with regular fat and sugar. Artificial trans fats doesn't fit anybody's macros.

ChrisAnthonyNel
03-26-2013, 01:56 PM
You're a nutrition consultant?........... How easy was it to get certified?
This is what is wrong with the bodybuilding community. People claim to eat healthy and yet don't even bother to read the ingredient labels to avoid trans fats.
Your suggestion is not better than eating cake with regular fat and sugar. Artificial trans fats doesn't fit anybody's macros.

I'm going to ignore your hatred speech. As for the trans fat? Where are you seeing that? The nutrition facts I'm looking at look like this:

Nutrition Facts

Serv Size 1/10 package (45g mix)
Servings Per Container 10

Amount Per Serving

Calories 140 Calories from Fat 35

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 4g 6%

Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 340mg 14%

Total Carbohydrate 35g 12%

Dietary Fiber 1g 5%

Sugars 0g

SugarAlcohol 18g

Protein 2g

Calcium 4%

Iron 6%

Not a significant source of vitamin A and vitamin C.

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000
calorie diet.

pillsburybaking com/products/details/1038

Do I need to post the nutrition facts/ingredients for a non-sugar free cake to show you that my suggestion was a "better" alternative?? Wow, if you don't like my suggestion people then move on. Suggest your own alternative.

moneyrich
03-26-2013, 02:34 PM
I'm going to ignore your hatred speech. As for the trans fat? Where are you seeing that? The nutrition facts I'm looking at look like this:

Nutrition Facts

Serv Size 1/10 package (45g mix)
Servings Per Container 10

Amount Per Serving

Calories 140 Calories from Fat 35

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 4g 6%

Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 340mg 14%

Dietary Fiber 1g 5%

Sugars 0g

SugarAlcohol 18g

Protein 2g

Calcium 4%

Iron 6%

calorie diet.

Do I need to post the nutrition facts/ingredients for a non-sugar free cake to show you that my suggestion was a "better" alternative?? Wow, if you don't like my suggestion people then move on. Suggest your own alternative.
Partially hydrogenated oils are forms of trans fats sir. Companies are allowed to list it as 0g if it is less than .5g per serving. So no your suggestion was not better.

AlwaysTryin
03-26-2013, 02:35 PM

Amount Per Serving

Calories 140 Calories from Fat
Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 340mg 14%

Dietary Fiber 1g 5%

Sugars 0g

SugarAlcohol 18g

Protein 2g

Calcium 4%

Iron 6%

calorie diet.

Not sure how you got your nutrition cert

Post the comparison

FitnessFan76
03-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Just eat a bit of it, instead of inhaling half a cake. Same with pizza and things like that - don't cut them out entirely, just don't eat tons of the stuff. I'm not cutting anything that I really like completely out of my diet because when I eventually give in (and I will, we all will) I'll end up gorging on it. ;)

ChrisAnthonyNel
03-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Partially hydrogenated oils are forms of trans fats sir. Companies are allowed to list it as 0g if it is less than .5g per serving. So no your suggestion was not better.

Your note of .5g being listed as 0g is a valid argument. But Why didn't you just post that information ^ instead of first making personal attacks about me, someone you don't know and someone who was just voicing a personal suggestion/opinion to the OP? Whether you liked my suggestion or not, if you wouldn't rebuttal that way in real life and you wouldn't say something like that to me - in real life, then don't use the anonymous veal of the internet as a confidence booster and a license to be negative and use personal attacks on a platform where we are all entitled to our personal opinions, input, suggestions.

And I'm not posting a comparison. I think it's fairly obvious that the run-of-the-mill cake out there contains fats and sugars in excess of the product I posted. At this point you guys are trying to pick an "internet fight" and it's pretty sad.

mal01
03-26-2013, 09:34 PM
I eat a piece or two of white on white sheet cake every weekend, love the stuff!

AlwaysTryin
03-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Your note of .5g being listed as 0g is a valid argument. But Why didn't you just post that information ^ instead of first making personal attacks about me, someone you don't know and someone who was just voicing a personal suggestion/opinion to the OP? Whether you liked my suggestion or not, if you wouldn't rebuttal that way in real life and you wouldn't say something like that to me - in real life, then don't use the anonymous veal of the internet as a confidence booster and a license to be negative and use personal attacks on a platform where we are all entitled to our personal opinions, input, suggestions.

And I'm not posting a comparison. I think it's fairly obvious that the run-of-the-mill cake out there contains fats and sugars in excess of the product I posted. At this point you guys are trying to pick an "internet fight" and it's pretty sad.

Sounds like your jimmies are rustled

necon76
03-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Sounds like your jimmies are rustled

Stop hiding behind the anonymous veal of the internet.

MetilHed
03-26-2013, 11:14 PM
Stop hiding behind the anonymous veal of the internet.

Mmmmm, veal. Veal seriously does not get enough play in this forum.

moneyrich
03-26-2013, 11:45 PM

I am legitimately curious as to how you got your nutrition cert. You recommended OP consume artificial trans fats instead of "excess" regular fat/sugar.
You didn't even know that the item you posted contained trans fats. Seriously, what did they teach in the certification process?

AlwaysTryin
03-26-2013, 11:49 PM
I am legitimately curious as to how you got your nutrition cert. You recommended OP consume artificial trans fats instead of "excess" regular fat/sugar.
You didn't even know that the item you posted contained trans fats. Seriously, what did they teach in the certification process?

Some pour sod is probably paying this dude too

ChrisAnthonyNel
03-27-2013, 01:23 AM
Some pour sod is probably paying this dude too

@AlwaysTryin - Many sods actually. @moneyrich - I don't claim that my certs qualify me to be a dietitian (certainly not legally), let alone a nutrition consultant. I'm qualified as a nutritional consultant because I've put in the personal work, achieved the personal physique accolades, gained the nutritional education, and most importantly, I've educated myself through real-world trail and error - on myself and on many clients over my short 4 year span of training. It's resulted in many "sods" achieving remarkable physiques and life changing body transformations (including my own) over my short 4 years in the industry.

Please remember, I just suggested a cake. I didn't recommend the OP eat it, I only suggested it because he asked for suggestions for a cake I thought was BETTER than your usual commercially prepared cake that usually contains substantially more fats (trans fats included) and sugar. Bad/good/retarded suggestion? - that's your entitled opinion. Good job on pointing out the trace amounts of hydro in the mix. I respect that and welcome that kind of input.

AlwaysTryin
03-27-2013, 01:57 AM
@AlwaysTryin - Many sods actually. @moneyrich - I don't claim that my certs qualify me to be a dietitian (certainly not legally), let alone a nutrition consultant. I'm qualified as a nutritional consultant because I've put in the personal work, achieved the personal physique accolades, gained the nutritional education, and most importantly, I've educated myself through real-world trail and error - on myself and on many clients over my short 4 year span of training. It's resulted in many "sods" achieving remarkable physiques and life changing body transformations (including my own) over my short 4 years in the industry.

Please remember, I just suggested a cake. I didn't recommend the OP eat it, I only suggested it because he asked for suggestions for a cake I thought was BETTER than your usual commercially prepared cake that usually contains substantially more fats (trans fats included) and sugar. Bad/good/retarded suggestion? - that's your entitled opinion. Good job on pointing out the trace amounts of hydro in the mix. I respect that and welcome that kind of input.

Lol

Nutrition degrees etc reach you what a trans fat is

AlwaysTryin
03-27-2013, 02:01 AM

Also FYI, mono and diglycerides aren't required to be reported in the trans fat so chances are it's quite a bit above that

Makween
03-27-2013, 02:07 AM
I haven't had any in so long, simply because I don't even need to read the ingredients anymore, they've ALL got hydrogenated oil in them.

Lest we forget, this is what OP said. He doesn't want to eat store-bought cake because of the hydrogenated oil. He didn't even mention sugar. This 'nutrition consultant' then goes on to suggest a 'sugar free' cake which still contains hydrogenated oil. He then suggests that that oil is something you're meant to add, like people keep bottles of hydrogenated oil in their kitchen or something.

He apparently doesn't see a problem with this.

necon76
03-27-2013, 02:07 AM
Please remember, I just suggested a cake. I didn't recommend the OP eat it

Lol.

moneyrich
03-27-2013, 10:19 AM

That is great that you helped people achieve their goals, but anecdotal evidence is worthless.
You wouldn't need to do real world trial and error if you looked at the research, then you would know what works.
Why are you bringing up your physique? What does that have to do with anything? physique =/= knowledge.

Delgadido
03-27-2013, 10:27 AM
i workout. therefore i am a nutrition expert

MetilHed
03-27-2013, 10:27 AM
That is great that you helped people achieve their goals, but anecdotal evidence is worthless.
You wouldn't need to do real world trial and error if you looked at the research, then you would know what works.
Why are you bringing up your physique? What does that have to do with anything? physique =/= knowledge.

Physique accolades are now part of the nutritional consultant requirements. ::eyeroll::

ThousandEyes
03-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Please remember, I just suggested a cake. I didn't recommend the OP eat it

Oh, ok then.

wait....what?