PDA

View Full Version : Such a high amount of carbs?! Newb needs HELP!

Josh1312
03-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Hello there guys, I've logged onto myfitnesspal and I've entered all of my data, and it's spat out the macro's I need to try and hit, my carbs are way up at 454g, whilst my protein and fat are sitting down at 124g & 110g respectively, I can easily reach those protein and fat, infact I'd go way over them, but I just can't seem to think of ways to get my carbs that high up, help?!

Mpevans31
03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Hello there guys, I've logged onto myfitnesspal and I've entered all of my data, and it's spat out the macro's I need to try and hit, my carbs are way up at 454g, whilst my protein and fat are sitting down at 124g & 110g respectively, I can easily reach those protein and fat, infact I'd go way over them, but I just can't seem to think of ways to get my carbs that high up, help?!

Maybe tell them what exactly you are eating, so they can help you monitor it.

squeak419
03-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Disregard the MyFitnessPal recommendations and follow this...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

MyFitnessPal macros/calories are not exactly "bodybuilding" values.

I have seen the calories and macros on MyFitnessPal compared to Emma-Leigh's guide differ A LOT

Josh1312
03-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Just had a quick read through that, kind of got the gist of it.

I still can't think of how to get that much carbs, whilst eating clean?

brianhsauls
03-19-2013, 01:18 PM
http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Try this

WeeMizzle
03-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Disregard the MyFitnessPal recommendations and follow this...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

MyFitnessPal macros/calories are not exactly "bodybuilding" values.

I have seen the calories and macros on MyFitnessPal compared to Emma-Leigh's guide differ A LOT

But if you are double checking the label against what My FirtnessPal shows you should be ok right? I do that at the moment and find the information that is in there to be spot on what is on the packet.

MichielN
03-19-2013, 02:19 PM
You need carbohydrates to support your training.

I would suggest aiming for 1g/lbs of protein, an amount of carbs that will support your training*, and fill the rest of your calories with mostly fats (mostly saturated and monounsaturated)

*Use a better safe than sorry approach. If you train 3 times per week (1-1,5 hour workouts), 200g carbs is probably enough, providing they're not all sugars. Should you train 4 or 5 days p/w, 250-300g will be plenty.

You can also use the guidelines from the stickies, but I prefer these.
In any case, there is no way you need 450g of carbs.

Brofessor
03-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Do not use the macros that MFP has given you, which is why you are asking for so many carbs. Recalculate your macros based on the aforementioned link and change your settings in MFP to the "custom" goals.

Adarus
03-19-2013, 02:57 PM
I don't put any kind of exercise into myfitnesspal either as it likes to adjust your calories depending on. Like Brofessor said once you've figured out your macro needs use the custom setting to plug in your own numbers. If I remember right it still required me to do a ratio percentage but just plug in and play around with the numbers until the macro results are close to what you've calculated from the stickies here.

AlwaysTryin
03-19-2013, 03:31 PM
You need carbohydrates to support your training.

I would suggest aiming for 1g/lbs of protein, an amount of carbs that will support your training*, and fill the rest of your calories with mostly fats (mostly saturated and monounsaturated)

*Use a better safe than sorry approach. If you train 3 times per week (1-1,5 hour workouts), 200g carbs is probably enough, providing they're not all sugars. Should you train 4 or 5 days p/w, 250-300g will be plenty.

You can also use the guidelines from the stickies, but I prefer these.
In any case, there is no way you need 450g of carbs.

Says who

Josh1312
03-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Guys I think I've nailed it, not too sure, could anyone help me adjust?

Not too sure about the soft white roll's at lunch, thats about it that I'm not sure about, ignore the fruit at the bottom too as that would be mixed around on different days. Also forgot to add my protein shake which i'd have two a day, one before and one after my workout 24g of protein each at 110 calories each.

Americampton
03-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Guys I think I've nailed it, not too sure, could anyone help me adjust?

Not too sure about the soft white roll's at lunch, thats about it that I'm not sure about, ignore the fruit at the bottom too as that would be mixed around on different days. Also forgot to add my protein shake which i'd have two a day, one before and one after my workout 24g of protein each at 110 calories each.
Your macros and calorie intake per shake/meal is irrelevant, as long as you are hitting your recommended macros and caloric intake daily. You can eat WHATEVER you want, as long as you meet your macronutrient intake for fats and protein, as well as your micronutrients through fruits/vegetables. Once you satisy your macros for fat and protein, as well as your micronutrients, you can fill the remaining calories with whatever you please- high fat, high carb, low carb, higher protein- you decide.

Make sense? :)

Josh1312
03-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Your macros and calorie intake per shake/meal is irrelevant, as long as you are hitting your recommended macros and caloric intake daily. You can eat WHATEVER you want, as long as you meet your macronutrient intake for fats and protein, as well as your micronutrients through fruits/vegetables. Once you satisy your macros for fat and protein, as well as your micronutrients, you can fill the remaining calories with whatever you please- high fat, high carb, low carb, higher protein- you decide.

Make sense? :)

Yeah I'm getting you.

The only thing I'm thinking about is the roll's I'm using for my lunch as that's white bread as I couldn't think of anything else with as high calorie intake.

I'm well hitting my calories, depending on what website I use it's fluxuating from 2700-3300 for bulking, not expecting anything else as I'm an ecto thats 6ft1 and 160lbs, hoping to see the weight pile on as my diet before was awful.

Americampton
03-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Yeah I'm getting you.

The only thing I'm thinking about is the roll's I'm using for my lunch as that's white bread as I couldn't think of anything else with as high calorie intake.

I'm well hitting my calories, depending on what website I use it's fluxuating from 2700-3300 for bulking, not expecting anything else as I'm an ecto thats 6ft1 and 160lbs, hoping to see the weight pile on as my diet before was awful.

I wouldn't rely on an online algorithmic calculator to determine what your individual body needs. That's just for an estimate. It's more trial and errr and figuring out what your body can handle calorie-wise, because everyone is different. Your best bet is to keep track bi-weekly and see how much weight you are putting on/losing/maintaining, and adjust from there. At 6'1," you seem like you have a pretty big frame to fill so if you're bulking I would stick with the higher end of your "fluxuation," but the scale will tell you better than anybody here.

Josh1312
03-20-2013, 07:24 AM
I wouldn't rely on an online algorithmic calculator to determine what your individual body needs. That's just for an estimate. It's more trial and errr and figuring out what your body can handle calorie-wise, because everyone is different. Your best bet is to keep track bi-weekly and see how much weight you are putting on/losing/maintaining, and adjust from there. At 6'1," you seem like you have a pretty big frame to fill so if you're bulking I would stick with the higher end of your "fluxuation," but the scale will tell you better than anybody here.

Yeah I get you, does my plan seem right enough for my macros?

I just need to try get more fat into it, need 69g of fat and I'll have it done!

mh22
03-20-2013, 08:07 AM
39g fat? Increase fat to 70-80g and reduce carbs...542g?wot?

Josh1312
03-20-2013, 08:29 AM
39g fat? Increase fat to 70-80g and reduce carbs...542g?wot?

I wouldn't be eating all that fruit, I just added it in to see what it would come out like. I'm away to go try up my fat a little bit.

Josh1312
03-20-2013, 08:31 AM
My macro's are 454g of carbs, 110g of fat, 124g of protein, trying to get 3300 cals a day, is it ok to go over your macro's or try to stick as close as possible to them?

AlwaysTryin
03-20-2013, 03:21 PM
My macro's are 454g of carbs, 110g of fat, 124g of protein, trying to get 3300 cals a day, is it ok to go over your macro's or try to stick as close as possible to them?

The larger surplus you create the more fat you'll gain