PDA

View Full Version : How many calories is this?

envisiblenbk
03-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Hello, I am an asian teen and I hope there are other asian experienced (unlike me) bodybuilders here or any teen in general who shares the same feelings as me. The feeling that even though I can't cook I have to eat what food my parent's buy/cook. So, there's no way for me to get out of eating this atleast for 1 meal. I may be able to eat something else for lunch and breakfast but I have to eat this for dinner usually. So how many calories is this?

Parboil rice, The chicken and the veggie includes sweet potatoes carrots egg plant and potatoes.

I know this isn't as healthy but I can't get out of eating something similar atleast once a day and thanks ahead.

qksc2
03-17-2013, 06:25 PM
1. buy a scale
2. learn about the term "healthy" and how its irrelevant
3. learn about nutrition, calories, macros and micros.

cumminslifter
03-17-2013, 06:47 PM
1. buy a scale
2. learn about the term "healthy" and how its irrelevant
3. learn about nutrition, calories, macros and micros.this. cook for yourself. i have since i was like13. i never got to have homemade meals everynight

envisiblenbk
03-17-2013, 07:05 PM
this. cook for yourself. i have since i was like13. i never got to have homemade meals everynight

1. yes i need to buy scale 2. I know what healthy means and how it is irrelevant i forgot to put mine in quotes also :) and 3. I know the calories for of what I eat 90% of the time but this is one thing I can't calculate because I have no idea how much of what my mom puts inside the curry. I do cook most of my meals but like I said this is one thing I can't get out of eating atleast once and what about when I have to go to my mom's indian friend's house then I am totally clueless lol

MITCHAPAL00ZA
03-17-2013, 07:06 PM
600-700 cals if I had to guess. not sure what that sauce is tho so that could screw with my estimate.

necon76
03-17-2013, 07:14 PM
About 350.

n0useforaname
03-17-2013, 07:22 PM
I was gonna guess around 400-500.

Brofessor
03-17-2013, 07:46 PM
I don't have a decent guess for you, but I'd advise acquainting yourself more with foods that you eat on a regular basis so you can estimate better. If you can't cook dinner for yourself for whatever reason, you could still look at the ingredients your mother used to make it, or measure your own portion of the food.

GGWarrior8
03-17-2013, 08:05 PM
That looks like a lot of rice, I would've guessed around 700 calories. Again, tricky to tell from just pictures. The bulk of the calories from this meal looks to come from the rice.

I don't see how eating with your family for just one meal a day could necessarily screw up your bodybuilding endeavors. If you are trying to keep calories low I would buy whey protein and eggs for cheap but high quality protein sources. In fact, being an Asian myself (Indonesian) I would encourage you to enjoy the meals that your parents cook for you. Sitting down together and eating with the family can also help build or sustain good quality relationship with the family. I would not trade it for some "healthy bodybuilding diet" where you are the only one in your family who makes his own meals and is apparently too good to eat the meals that his mother makes.

Having been in your shoes, I know that its much easier to get high protein and low calories from making your own meals. I do not know whether your goal is to bulk or to cut, but one medium sized meal a day does not necessarily ruin a diet. You have other meals throughout the day where you can prepare your own meals, right? Get most of your protein throughout the day and count your calories before the dinner. Then adjust food intake for dinner according to how much calories you have left for the day. Rice is relatively energy dense and one that is quite easy to adjust. If you need more calories, put more rice on the plate. If you feel you need to cut back, reduce the amount of rice on the plate. With this you can still enjoy the meal your parents made you and have some quality dinner time with family while not ruining your "bodybuilding diet".

envisiblenbk
03-17-2013, 09:55 PM
That looks like a lot of rice, I would've guessed around 700 calories. Again, tricky to tell from just pictures. The bulk of the calories from this meal looks to come from the rice.

I don't see how eating with your family for just one meal a day could necessarily screw up your bodybuilding endeavors. If you are trying to keep calories low I would buy whey protein and eggs for cheap but high quality protein sources. In fact, being an Asian myself (Indonesian) I would encourage you to enjoy the meals that your parents cook for you. Sitting down together and eating with the family can also help build or sustain good quality relationship with the family. I would not trade it for some "healthy bodybuilding diet" where you are the only one in your family who makes his own meals and is apparently too good to eat the meals that his mother makes.

Having been in your shoes, I know that its much easier to get high protein and low calories from making your own meals. I do not know whether your goal is to bulk or to cut, but one medium sized meal a day does not necessarily ruin a diet. You have other meals throughout the day where you can prepare your own meals, right? Get most of your protein throughout the day and count your calories before the dinner. Then adjust food intake for dinner according to how much calories you have left for the day. Rice is relatively energy dense and one that is quite easy to adjust. If you need more calories, put more rice on the plate. If you feel you need to cut back, reduce the amount of rice on the plate. With this you can still enjoy the meal your parents made you and have some quality dinner time with family while not ruining your "bodybuilding diet".

Yeah thank you for your tip. I wouldn't disrespect my parent/trade either that is why I try to eat atleast one meal with them. I think on the label of the rice bag it said, 1 cup = 170 calories and I think that plate was about 1 cup worth of rice. I am curious about the other things as well by the way how much proteins is in 1 chicken thigh?

determined4000
03-17-2013, 10:43 PM
how much proteins is in 1 chicken thigh?google
nutrition information chicken thigh

AlwaysTryin
03-17-2013, 11:46 PM
1. yes i need to buy scale 2. I know what healthy means and how it is irrelevant i forgot to put mine in quotes also :) and 3. I know the calories for of what I eat 90% of the time but this is one thing I can't calculate because I have no idea how much of what my mom puts inside the curry. I do cook most of my meals but like I said this is one thing I can't get out of eating atleast once and what about when I have to go to my mom's indian friend's house then I am totally clueless lol

So explain what makes it not as healthy

GGWarrior8
03-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Yeah thank you for your tip. I wouldn't disrespect my parent/trade either that is why I try to eat atleast one meal with them. I think on the label of the rice bag it said, 1 cup = 170 calories and I think that plate was about 1 cup worth of rice. I am curious about the other things as well by the way how much proteins is in 1 chicken thigh?

Using "cups" as measurements is not quite as accurate as getting the actual grams (or oz) of the rice. Nonetheless, if you have reasonable confidence to think it is 1 cup worth of rice then count it as 170 calories.

Willtran07
03-19-2013, 10:17 AM
rice looks like 1.5 cups cooked = roughly 350 cals, not much meat so the sauce+veggies is probably 100 at most.

Mdenatale
03-19-2013, 10:40 AM
If you have a smart phone or ipod/ipad then get the free app myfitnesspal. You can look up nearly anything and it will be in the database. You will need a scale for a lot of stuff to be completely accurate, but at least get the app to start.

envisiblenbk
03-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Using "cups" as measurements is not quite as accurate as getting the actual grams (or oz) of the rice. Nonetheless, if you have reasonable confidence to think it is 1 cup worth of rice then count it as 170 calories.

Well that's what it said on the bag of rice 1 cup = 170 calories but is it 1 cup cooked rice or uncooked rice? Because I am pretty confident that's 1 cup uncooked rice.

envisiblenbk
03-22-2013, 04:56 PM
So explain what makes it not as healthy

Blah I am new please no flame. I said not as healthy simply because I checkd another thread where this guy drink milk, eats oatmeal and some other stuff and everyone was like omg that's terrible blah blah. I think this plate wasn't as healthy simply because lot's of carb and all the veggie was cooked in oil and barely enough protein or atleast that's what I think.

Brofessor
03-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Blah I am new please no flame. I said not as healthy simply because I checkd another thread where this guy drink milk, eats oatmeal and some other stuff and everyone was like omg that's terrible blah blah. I think this plate wasn't as healthy simply because lot's of carb and all the veggie was cooked in oil and barely enough protein or atleast that's what I think.

Well I think you get the point he was getting at. If it fits your macros and micros, tastes good and isn't doing you harm, then there is no reason not to eat it. There's nothing wrong with carbs, oil has fats that you need and not every meal has to be tons of protein as long as you get in your minimum each day.

And the package of rice should specify prepared or not or just look at how many servings it is and split it up.