PDA

View Full Version : How do I properly gain muscle...

MrSinisTer5150
03-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Hello I am very new to nutrition and working out... I will tell you I was once 310lbs this was last march. Today 1 year later after following some of Kris Gethin's advice on these forums I am 215lbs... I do see definition and muscle on my body however I would like to start building more muscle. Everyone says that I need to start taking in more calories and eating more, however, I fear this because I used to be very fat. I can honestly say I take in about 1800 calories a day. I am 6'2 and 32 years old. My question is how does the whole process of gaining muscle through eating more than normal calories work? Will I gain fat? Any advice on how to do this? This is my very first time and I will admit I am very new when it comes to this type of a diet. Thanks in advance...

AJL1
03-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Read the stickies at the top of the page, they will help you greatly.

Good luck!

1JFS3
03-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Hello I am very new to nutrition and working out... I will tell you I was once 310lbs this was last march. Today 1 year later after following some of Kris Gethin's advice on these forums I am 215lbs... I do see definition and muscle on my body however I would like to start building more muscle. Everyone says that I need to start taking in more calories and eating more, however, I fear this because I used to be very fat. I can honestly say I take in about 1800 calories a day. I am 6'2 and 32 years old. My question is how does the whole process of gaining muscle through eating more than normal calories work? Will I gain fat? Any advice on how to do this? This is my very first time and I will admit I am very new when it comes to this type of a diet. Thanks in advance...

With a past caloric intake so low you'll have to start slowly. Begin by adding about 300 calories/week and add 300 each time weight gain stops. I also urge you to go to the stickies found here and use the formula to learn how to determine a TDEE which you will need to find when you eventually repair your more than likely damaged metabolism.

I would up your calories to about 2100-2200 for now because of your past intake. At 215, I would consume:

200 Protein (800 cal)
100 Fat (900 cal)
120 Carb (480 cal)

You can play with these numbers, but get at least 176 protein and 97 fat for these are required.

determined4000
03-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Id say up cals 10% a week, week by week
minimum 1g/lb protein
.4g/lb fat

MrSinisTer5150
03-16-2013, 08:13 PM
With a past caloric intake so low you'll have to start slowly. Begin by adding about 300 calories/week and add 300 each time weight gain stops. I also urge you to go to the stickies found here and use the formula to learn how to determine a TDEE which you will need to find when you eventually repair your more than likely damaged metabolism.

I would up your calories to about 2100-2200 for now because of your past intake. At 215, I would consume:

200 Protein (800 cal)
100 Fat (900 cal)
120 Carb (480 cal)

You can play with these numbers, but get at least 176 protein and 97 fat for these are required.

I appreciate the info and the time you took to answer this... my only concern is the weight I will be putting on... assuming I eat properly (which I will) will all gains be muscle or will I gain fat as well?

1JFS3
03-16-2013, 08:24 PM
I appreciate the info and the time you took to answer this... my only concern is the weight I will be putting on... assuming I eat properly (which I will) will all gains be muscle or will I gain fat as well?

Going on a calorie surplus will elicit fat gain and cannot be avoided, only minimized. a small surplus will accomplish this. you will gain muscle as well and can cut the fat off afterward.

MrSinisTer5150
03-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Going on a calorie surplus will elicit fat gain and cannot be avoided, only minimized. a small surplus will accomplish this. you will gain muscle as well and can cut the fat off afterward.

Ok... so basically in order to properly gain muscle I must bulk and take in excess calories and then go through a lean out phase? How long does a proper bulk phase take or should take?

thanks again

AlwaysTryin
03-16-2013, 11:49 PM
Ok... so basically in order to properly gain muscle I must bulk and take in excess calories and then go through a lean out phase? How long does a proper bulk phase take or should take?

thanks again

There is no set timeframe. Bulk until you're unhappy with how you look