PDA

View Full Version : Thessaloniki metro: Ancient dilemma for modern Greece

surekid
03-14-2013, 09:38 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21743758

Interesting article on the new findings whilst trying to build the metro in Northern Greece.
I swear they find something new every day and have found thousands of little things, but this is big, a whole city underneath a city.
Thing is the people building the new metro do not want to keep the ruins as they believe it will cost too much.
Archaeologists would like to see this place kept and made to good condition along side with the metro as it would attract tourists.

Rather than joy and excitement, the unearthing of what an academic called "a Byzantine Pompeii" at the heart of modern day Thessaloniki, Greece's second city, has caused bitter controversy in a country clutching at economic straws.Instead of sealing off the ruins, the backers of a key rail project being built at the same site are threatening to have them removed within weeks.

Six metres below ground, archaeologists found what they say exceeded even their wildest dreams: the commercial heart of the ancient city below the commercial heart of the modern one - marked by a crossroads built by Caesar Galerius in the 4th Century and reconstructed two centuries later, when Thessaloniki had become the second city not of a nation-state, but of the multinational Byzantine Empire.

Descending the staircase to reach the closed-to-the-public dig site, you can see an incredibly well-preserved marble-paved road, complete with the remains of what used to be shops, workshops and public buildings and spaces. The road is still visibly etched by the passing of carriages, while the accompanying archaeologist even points to a marble block showing the markings of a noughts-and-crosses game, presumably carved by children playing in the open air market 17 centuries earlier.

Archaeologists and city authorities dream of a metro station combined with a subterranean museum, that will become a major tourist attraction and a constant reminder of the city's glorious past - a past lamentably hidden today by decades of anarchical construction and disastrous city planning.
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/66367000/jpg/_66367101_66367100.jpg
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/66362000/jpg/_66362667_66362663.jpg
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/66367000/jpg/_66367095_66367094.jpg

Personally I would like to see all things like this of historical and cultural significance kept for our generation along with future generations to enjoy.
What would you guys do?

A-GAME
03-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Nothing lasts forever breh.

Penile_Dementia
03-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Greek protestors should stop wearing the latest fashions and form hoplite phalanxes to battle to protect these ancient sites

solely for my aesthetic pleasure, but they should

TheJimmyRustler
03-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Greek protestors should stop wearing the latest fashions and form hoplite phalanxes to battle to protect these ancient sites

solely for my aesthetic pleasure, but they should

Only if the wimminz decide to don Amazon armour and take part.

Seems pretty awesome, hope that they're able to dig it up.

Kiwi_Fella
03-15-2013, 04:19 AM
Repped, very cool. Will be lost to the in the mindless ****e that is the misc but I love this ****

riptor
03-15-2013, 03:01 PM
As someone who is interested in Byzantine history, I would hate to see these ruins destroyed.

Merauder
03-15-2013, 03:10 PM
As someone who is interested in Byzantine history, I would hate to see these ruins destroyed.

I'm interested in modern and smart infrastructure but I get you.

LifeofRiley
03-15-2013, 06:10 PM
http://abovethelaw.com/uploads/2012/03/snob-snobbery-elitism-elite-law-schools-law-firms.jpg

That is exceptionally interesting.

Exceptionally.

surekid
03-15-2013, 06:59 PM
I would hate to know how many pieces of Byzantine history has been destroyed without anyone knowing :S

MyLastSerenade
03-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Wanna hear something ****ed up op?

Our family owns land with my dads house was that he grew up in. We sell it to apartment builders, In exchange we get four apartments plus the cost of land.

When they begin digging they find ancient burial ground full of artifacts, happens all the time. Since the government acquires all artifacts they have to wait till the beaurocrats get their chit together and come and get it to resume building. This was 15 years ago. The land is still sitting. My parents were going to retire back home. Guess what, nothing.

That's the kind of bull sheet this country is turning into.

surekid
03-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Wanna hear something ****ed up op?

Our family owns land with my dads house was that he grew up in. We sell it to apartment builders, In exchange we get four apartments plus the cost of land.

When they begin digging they find ancient burial ground full of artifacts, happens all the time. Since the government acquires all artifacts they have to wait till the beaurocrats get their chit together and come and get it to resume building. This was 15 years ago. The land is still sitting. My parents were going to retire back home. Guess what, nothing.

That's the kind of bull sheet this country is turning into.
Yeah man I have heard nothing but bad things when it comes to anything like that and even selling property with all the beaurocracy you will be lucky if it's sorted out by the time you have kids and they are older. We also have some land that is spread between some family and to get it all divided is a nightmare.

surekid
04-17-2013, 05:10 PM
L8QM6b9tLBQ

This is a very big find here, hopefully they don't go ahead with the removal :(