PDA

View Full Version : How to manage calories and macros

Murdok1741
03-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Hey all,

I've noticed quite a few basic questions about how to count calories/macros and how to use calorie calculators. Though a good deal of info can be found in the stickies, I thought I'd take time to write a bit more about it in my blog. Hopefully this will prove to be helpful for anyone starting out as a way to think about tracking nutrition and making adjustments. Keep in mind that the recommendations I make are simply guidelines and there are obviously going to be circumstances in which to go beyond the advice for general populations (namely, a bodybuilder or figure competitor during contest prep).

The first two posts you see will be the ones I'm referring to here: www.fitandprofessional.com

Let me know if you have any questions or comments. I enjoy the feedback!

sadkent
03-06-2013, 07:47 PM
I have a question regarding macros. Do you even need to count your macros 100% to get <10% BF? What I mean is. I basically just count my protein and my minimum fats, then I fill the rest with carbs and make sure im in a -500 caloric deficit from maintenance calories.

dbman4
03-06-2013, 07:53 PM
solid read.. thanks!

SelfMotivated
03-06-2013, 07:59 PM
I have a question regarding macros. Do you even need to count your macros 100% to get <10% BF? What I mean is. I basically just count my protein and my minimum fats, then I fill the rest with carbs and make sure im in a -500 caloric deficit from maintenance calories.

My suggestion would be to use a % deficit of your maintenance (10 or 20) simply because it's more accurate than an arbitrary number as I've been told by others.

Murdok1741
03-06-2013, 08:01 PM

If you're getting into the lower in bodyfat percentages, I'd try to aim to be a little more meticulous about managing your macros. Reason being is at that point, you don't have much more weight to lose, so the risk of losing muscle relative to fat becomes greater if you take your calories down too far without having a good idea of the caloric content in your food. But yes, count protein and minimum fats, fill the rest with carbs and adjust when you need to. And it doesn't need to be 100% accurate, slight variations will occur inevitably, so just do your best.

solid read.. thanks!

Thanks!