PDA

View Full Version : What causes type 2 diabetes?

GorillaBAM
03-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Am I in danger of getting diabetes type 2 since I've been eating sugar pretty much daily around 300g? I always thought it was obesity and sugar which caused diabetes 2 but now I'm worried. Otherwise my diet is healthy whole foods and I do sport a lot. So what causes diabetes 2 and am I in danger of getting one?

Thanks!

germaine07
03-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Lack of exercise is the main contributor I believe, alongside being overweight.

MarkVI
03-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Am I in danger of getting diabetes type 2 since I've been eating sugar pretty much daily around 300g? I always thought it was obesity and sugar which caused diabetes 2 but now I'm worried. Otherwise my diet is healthy whole foods and I do sport a lot. So what causes diabetes 2 and am I in danger of getting one?

Thanks!

You eat 300grams of sugar everyday? Um....you should stop and pick carbohydrate sources that have more nutrients with them.

There are a lot of factors to Type II Diabetes - sugar can be one, and being overweight and not exercising can be a huge factor - but there are a lot of other issues. Problems with ACTH or Cortisol can directly lead to Diabetes, it can be largely genetic in some cases....meaning that even though you do all the right things you'll still get it (this is rare).

The take away is if you eat sensibly, exercise and keep your weight managed it's the last thing in the world you'll need to worry about.

Mdenatale
03-06-2013, 12:34 PM
So what causes diabetes 2 and am I in danger of getting one?

Thanks!

You are in danger of getting 1 maybe even 2 or 3

You are 23, 6'1" and 143 lbs. In spite of the poor choice of consuming 300g of sugar daily you are not a typical candidate for Type 2 diabetes.

cumminslifter
03-06-2013, 12:34 PM
what do you eat op?

WonderPug
03-06-2013, 12:37 PM
I've been eating sugar pretty much daily around 300g?You're 6'1" and 143 pounds, which means that you're consuming a shockingly large amount of sugar, especially benchmarked to your likely total caloric intake.

Given your height, weight and your sugar intake, I think it's fair to presume that your diet is astonishingly poor and that your malnutrition puts you at risk for multiple ailments.

tden99
03-06-2013, 01:49 PM
never have I heard of anyone taking in that much sugar, do you just straight sugar?

From my understanding the main causes of type 2 diabetes are obesity, sedentary lifestyle, and genetics.

cumminslifter
03-06-2013, 06:58 PM
still intrested in what op eats

Mdenatale
03-06-2013, 08:01 PM
still intrested in what op eats
Yeah, lol, 1200 calories of sugar daily, but other than that just healthy whole food, lmao

GorillaBAM
03-07-2013, 02:30 AM
My diet mainly consists chicken breast, cottage cheese, veggies, oats, whey, pasta, candy and cereal.
But thank you for your answers!

SuffolkPunch
03-07-2013, 02:34 AM
My diet mainly consists chicken breast, cottage cheese, veggies, oats, whey, pasta, candy and cereal.
But thank you for your answers!
Are you meeting macro sufficiency for dietary fat?

GorillaBAM
03-07-2013, 02:41 AM
Are you meeting macro sufficiency for dietary fat?
Yes sir! On my high carb days, (that's when I consume around 300g of sugar) I eat 60g of fat and on my lowcarb days 2x week, I eat around 120-130g of fat

WonderPug
03-07-2013, 02:50 AM
Are you meeting macro sufficiency for dietary fat?And micronutrient sufficiency sans excessive intake of any compounds?

snorkelman
03-07-2013, 03:31 AM
OP, the 800 pound gorilla in the room is the question about carb supplements. Are you ingesting dextrose or some other unneeded sugar in powdered form as part of a supplement program to make up part of this 300 grams of sugar?

GorillaBAM
03-07-2013, 06:41 AM
I think I meet my micro goals since I eat pretty much veggies and I use multivitamin. Sugar doesn't come from any powders, comes only from candy, cereal and fruits

cumminslifter
03-07-2013, 06:34 PM
I think I meet my micro goals since I eat pretty much veggies and I use multivitamin. Sugar doesn't come from any powders, comes only from candy, cereal and fruitswhat kind and how much candy are you eating?

marcoxx626
03-07-2013, 06:46 PM
You eat 300grams of sugar everyday? Um....you should stop and pick carbohydrate sources that have more nutrients with them.

There are a lot of factors to Type II Diabetes - sugar can be one, and being overweight and not exercising can be a huge factor - but there are a lot of other issues. Problems with ACTH or Cortisol can directly lead to Diabetes, it can be largely genetic in some cases....meaning that even though you do all the right things you'll still get it (this is rare).

The take away is if you eat sensibly, exercise and keep your weight managed it's the last thing in the world you'll need to worry about.

How do ACTH and cortisol have anything to do with diabetes? Type 2 diabetes is caused by insulin insensitivity.

MarkVI
03-08-2013, 06:43 AM
How do ACTH and cortisol have anything to do with diabetes? Type 2 diabetes is caused by insulin insensitivity.

Adrenal glands --> Adrenaline -->massive dump of sugar/Blood Pressure/Heart Rate --> Insulin resistance/Diabetes....this isn't a novel concept, and with those two hormones chronically elevated you can create a perfect environment for this to happen, and diet/exercise can be adequate.

It's not a direct surefire formula, but it's a well documented contributor