PDA

View Full Version : Weight gainer shakes and calories don't add up???!!

nicd123
03-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Hey guys, was thinking of buying a weight gainer (I know a lot about nutrition and count calories but I've lost my appetite lately so I figured this would be a good way to bump up the cals on days where I struggle) there was one in particular from supplements SA (south african brand) called massive muscle. It has 48g protein and 59g carbs and 2.5g fats in each 120g serving- but here's what I don't get- according to the label and every website I've checked it has 1912 calories per 120g! How the f*ck is that possible considering the macronutrient composition. Is there something I'm missing or is the info incorrect?

creed428
03-05-2013, 08:54 AM
more than likely the 1912 calories is including the half gallon of whole fat milk that you are suppose to mix the powder with. a lot of weight gainers label this way the powder it self is only like 500 calories but mix with a ton a whole fat milk and it instantly adds 1000+ calories depending on how much you use

markdoddridge
03-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Gotta be whole milk. Even if the powder was all fat at 9 cals per gram, thats still only 1080 cals. No idea where they are geting their serving sizes, 8 ounces of whole milk is only 146 calories.

Either way this shake is way off, unless serving sizes include half a gallon of whole milk.

What do you need 1900 calories in a shake for anyway? sounds like a quick way to a dirty bulk

moosedahgoose
03-05-2013, 09:15 AM
"Hey guys, was thinking of buying a weight gainer (I know a lot about nutrition"

Processed foods vs. whole foods.....

ObiJuanK
03-05-2013, 09:22 AM
^^^ What he said lol
Anyways, I hear that most mass gainers usually fail since you piss most of that crap out anyways. Eating whole foods will be a lot cheaper and efficient on the long run.

nicd123
03-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Haha I knew someone would go there xD I don't intend on using this every day, this is for days where I can't stomach enough food and I'll fit it into my macros. Obviously I wouldn't want a shake that's 1900, my maintenance is about 3400 and that would mean I'd have to eat next to nothing all day if I took a full serving

ObiJuanK
03-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Haha I knew someone would go there xD I don't intend on using this every day, this is for days where I can't stomach enough food and I'll fit it into my macros. Obviously I wouldn't want a shake that's 1900, my maintenance is about 3400 and that would mean I'd have to eat next to nothing all day if I took a full serving

Honestly, bro, you might as well just sit down with a peanut butter jar and hit it hard lol depending on the brand, you're looking at 2000-3000 calories per jar. That's my little trick to catch up on calories whenever I fall short lol it's quick. easy, and sooo damn good lol

nicd123
03-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Honestly, bro, you might as well just sit down with a peanut butter jar and hit it hard lol depending on the brand, you're looking at 2000-3000 calories per jar. That's my little trick to catch up on calories whenever I fall short lol it's quick. easy, and sooo damn good lol

Too much fats too little carbs don't you think?

ObiJuanK
03-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Too much fats too little carbs don't you think?
Depends on how you look at it. You're getting the healthy fats out of it. From a ketogenic stand, it's perfect. Otherwise, just consider using it to up your calories, not center your whole diet on it lol You need to be consuming a moderate amount of fat to keep hormone levels stable. But if you're 18, you shouldn't even be worrying much about much of that. Your T levels should be through the roof. Just eat clean and train mean.

nicd123
03-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Gets real tough pounding down the cals though. I need about 3900 to grow slowly it seems- my body started to adapt but the past week has been hell. Any reason this would happen?

ObiJuanK
03-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Hell in what sense?

What's your macro look like and what's your activity level?

nicd123
03-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Just a loss in appetite really, took 4 days off though to just recover a bit. I train 4 times a week. my upper abs have been oddly swollen which took my appetite away. I'm not sure why but its possible it's from the amount of oats I've been eating lately

nicd123
03-05-2013, 09:54 AM
And I aim for a 25/55/20 macro split roughly. Its not always spot on but I make sure to get at least 200g protein and 400g carbs

ObiJuanK
03-05-2013, 09:57 AM
That's really odd lol You might want to see a doctor.

I can understand though having a loss of appetite. Sometimes, I have to force food down my throat simply 'cause I don't feel like eating. But I rather do that than compromise nutrition. IMO, if you feel you're eating too many oats and it's giving you negative feedback, drop them for a week and see if you feel any different.