PDA

View Full Version : Any eat Paleo

cbyerlee
03-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Any guys on here eat strict Paleo? I am contemplating it but there are just some things I can't see myself cutting out

WonderPug
03-02-2013, 11:42 AM
I don't because I don't see the reason to arbitrarily avoid foods.

Gemuadrken
03-02-2013, 11:45 AM

Interestingly enough, this^

cbyerlee
03-02-2013, 07:17 PM

What do you mean

EjnarKolinkar
03-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Paleo excludes too many foods for me. I eat all the paleo foods, and more. I see this as the better route for getting a good variety in flavor and nutrients. Paleo is just unnecessarily restrictive.

OP just look at the list of do not eats and ask yourself why? If you can find lists that agree with one another, which is another matter.

MrMichael1392
03-02-2013, 08:51 PM
I'll die before I give up sweet potatoes

jobronze
03-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Paleo PLUS sports nutrition FTW.

Some would call my nutrition, a samurai diet.

jobronze
03-02-2013, 11:28 PM

There's nothing arbitrary about eliminating processed western foods. Either you agree with the principles or you don't.

While hardcore paleo is more dogma than anything, since going dairy and gluten free I stay lean and wayyyyy less puffy.

necon76
03-02-2013, 11:53 PM
There's nothing arbitrary about eliminating processed western foods. Either you agree with the principles or you don't.

While hardcore paleo is more dogma than anything, since going dairy and gluten free I stay lean and wayyyyy less puffy.

Of course there is.

Ditching dairy & grains because a select few have digestion issues with them makes no sense at all for the rest of the population.

silvrmoos
03-03-2013, 05:58 AM

Strong this. Check my bodyspace before and after - that's a couple months of no dairy and no grains.

In the Paleo diet for athletes (which is the one that individuals working out intensely should follow) sweet potatoes are not only allowed, they are encouraged.

O.P. if you are interested in Paleo, I seriously recommend that you check into the paleo diet for athletes. The author of the original paleo diet recognized the shortcomings that present themselves for athletes in the original text and made some great modifications for improving physical performance. I have personally been following this and plan to continue to do so, as it is the only nutrition plan that I have used where I experienced both gains in strength with a simultaneous reduction in bodyfat.

usawinston
03-03-2013, 06:55 AM
If you cut out all of the baseless components of the paleo concept, you're left with a diet that requires you to eat exclusively whole, unprocessed foods. A pretty solid plan. If you stick with the paleo diet, you might as well pick up a random fitness magazine and base your diet on any one of the ludicrous meal plans. The outcome will be the same as paleo: probable undernourishment, unavoidable dissatisfaction with diet, and frequent public embarrassment.

WonderPug
03-03-2013, 07:04 AM
If you cut out all of the baseless components of the paleo concept, you're left with a diet that requires you to eat exclusively whole, unprocessed foods. In other words, if you abandon the "paleo" diet nonsense, you could simply construct a rational diet composed in the (vast) majority from whole and minimally processed foods without the arbitrary restrictions and fallacious claims of special benefits.

cjscore
03-03-2013, 08:53 AM
In other words, if you abandon the "paleo" diet nonsense, you could simply construct a rational diet composed in the (vast) majority from whole and minimally processed foods without the arbitrary restrictions and fallacious claims of special benefits.

This pretty much sums it up utilizing the biggest words possible.

cbyerlee
03-04-2013, 02:33 PM

You don't have to give up sweet potatoes. Those are one of the staples to the Paleo diet

ObiJuanK
03-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Any guys on here eat strict Paleo? I am contemplating it but there are just some things I can't see myself cutting out

I think Paleo's awesome, IMO lol But this is because when I wanted to shed fat like crazy I went Keto. Then after I met my goals, slowly introducing carbs, I saw myself doing Paleo. Then I just started paying attention to my macros since I lost plenty.
Some things did stick on me, though. I barely eat any grains. Whole ones, if any. I noticed that they bloated me up. Same with dairy. Specially since calories and sodium can rack up pretty quickly with cheese lol Paleo basically taught me to BE MODERATE with certain things. It's not necessary to just eliminate completely

ObiJuanK
03-04-2013, 02:57 PM
You don't have to give up sweet potatoes. Those are one of the staples to the Paleo diet

This is true. But again, moderation. Apparently it's cause of the absence of anti-nutrients found in white potatoes. Plus, it's a nice source of complex carbs after a killer workout.

APipeDream
03-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Seems to be a consensus for those who are not Paleo, but I am in the same boat where I do not follow that diet because it restricts many things I enjoy and feel are completely acceptable foods.

unccwrestler
03-04-2013, 03:56 PM
I do for the most part. I will still have grains here and there but I find it easier to stik with. I base all meals around Meat/Vegetables with some fruit and fats throughout the day.

Sarcobium
03-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Unfortunately cannibalism is frowned upon by the legal and judicial systems.

cbyerlee
03-06-2013, 07:15 AM
Seems to be a consensus for those who are not Paleo, but I am in the same boat where I do not follow that diet because it restricts many things I enjoy and feel are completely acceptable foods.

For the most part all ur doing is taking out grains and dairy and get all your carbs from fruits and veggies. It obviously gets a little more intense when you take out everything that is not natural and from the earth but then again who knows the long term side effects of the extra crap added in foods. It gets even more intense for those who follow it to a T and go with grass fed and cage free meats.

I have been doing it for the past 3 days and have been about 90% strict and I feel full longer, and have more energy. Only thing I don't follow is the grass fed and cage free meats bc that is just way too expensive

ironwill2008
03-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Only thing I don't follow is the grass fed and cage free meats bc that is just way too expensive

So what you're saying is you don't really follow Paleo?

ven33
03-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Quick, we should create a nutritional plan that has people eliminate processed foods, focus on the consumption of protein, consume plenty of fruits and veggies, and minimize carb intake to low GI carbs....then we will brand it like it is something SPECIAL.

Sigh.

SuffolkPunch
03-06-2013, 07:56 AM
IIFYP

If it fits your paleo

Kadisha
03-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Quick, we should create a nutritional plan that has people eliminate processed foods, focus on the consumption of protein, consume plenty of fruits and veggies, and minimize carb intake to low GI carbs....then we will brand it like it is something SPECIAL.

Sigh.

That's true. It's much like CrossFit branded circuit training. It's kind of annoying really, but at the end of the day if it gets people to exercise and get off their asses and if Paleo gets people to eat healthier then whatever floats their boat.

On another note, my only issue with IIFYM (which I follow) is that a lot of people tend to take it as an excuse to eat a ****ty diet void of any micro-nutrients and consider popping a multi a good way to make up for it. When in fact the best way to do is like WonderPug continually states. That'll get you the best results especially on a cut versus eating a pint of B&J everyday, and complaining that you're hungry all the time or you're not seeing the results you want.

cbyerlee
03-06-2013, 11:07 AM
So what you're saying is you don't really follow Paleo?

That's what I must be saying chief. I have a kid to feed clothe and diaper my money needs to go elsewhere

Sorry must be a disgrace to the term paleo

ironwill2008
03-06-2013, 11:10 AM
That's what I must be saying chief. I have a kid to feed clothe and diaper my money needs to go elsewhere

Sorry must be a disgrace to the term paleo

Personally, I don't care what you do. It's just that every knucklehead who posts this paleo nonsense has his own description of what it's supposed to be, and it's always based on his own liking.

VIsland
03-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Personally, I don't care what you do. It's just that every knucklehead who posts this paleo nonsense has his own description of what it's supposed to be, and it's always based on his own liking.

^^^^ The pwnage is strong today ^^^^

tden99
03-06-2013, 01:53 PM
For the most part all ur doing is taking out grains and dairy and get all your carbs from fruits and veggies. It obviously gets a little more intense when you take out everything that is not natural and from the earth but then again who knows the long term side effects of the extra crap added in foods. It gets even more intense for those who follow it to a T and go with grass fed and cage free meats.

I have been doing it for the past 3 days and have been about 90% strict and I feel full longer, and have more energy. Only thing I don't follow is the grass fed and cage free meats bc that is just way too expensive

So your saying its an ill-defined diet with random restrictions depending on how you define it, who you talk to, and if you are an athlete.

naturalguy
03-06-2013, 02:25 PM

Correct, it's not arbitrary. There is a reason why they suggest not eating certain foods. I am not defending nor promoting paleo but it's not arbitrary.

The silly thing about it is people thinking they should eat that way because they think caveman ate like that. If you take away the title of "Paleo" it's a diet that promotes whole, nutritious foods and there is nothing wrong with that. Some people just can't get past the word "Paleo"

WonderPug
03-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Correct, it's not arbitrary. There is a reason why they suggest not eating certain foods. I am not defending nor promoting paleo but it's not arbitrary.One could argue (at least poorly) that the diet's restrictions are not arbitrary, if one uses the general definition of "arbitrary" pedantically, but the diet's restriction and the justifications for such are clearly specious.

If you take away the title of "Paleo" it's a diet that promotes whole, nutritious foods and there is nothing wrong with that.One of the problems with the diet is that it calls for the arbitrary avoidance of certain whole, nutritious foods.

necon76
03-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Correct, it's not arbitrary. There is a reason why they suggest not eating certain foods. I am not defending nor promoting paleo but it's not arbitrary.

The silly thing about it is people thinking they should eat that way because they think caveman ate like that. If you take away the title of "Paleo" it's a diet that promotes whole, nutritious foods and there is nothing wrong with that. Some people just can't get past the word "Paleo"

You mean like eliminating gluten from the diet?

Only approximately 1 in 250 people are gluten intolerant. Why should those other 249 people be avoiding it? There's no valid reasoning behind it.

naturalguy
03-06-2013, 06:29 PM

Only approximately 1 in 250 people are gluten intolerant. Why should those other 249 people be avoiding it? There's no valid reasoning behind it.

There are many people who are gluten sensitive

jobronze
03-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Some people just can't get past the word "Paleo"

^^This

I'm annoyed at food yuppies just like anybody else, but "Paleo" got me past a sticking point last year that counting calories alone couldn't do.

So do whatever the fluck you want to do!!!!!!

Nobody is on here telling anyone what they should or shouldn't include in their diet. That's your choice. People here give suggestions. Example: Cutting but still have man boobs, maybe eliminate dairy and soy from your diet for a while see how that works. Its NOT GOSPEL! No like, No Buy

But what irks me here is that as soon as someone wants to give a eating style a try looking for advice, the IIFYM/CICO army comes storming in.

On that note shout outs to Jack Lalane, the father of modern "Paleo" LMAO.

LJVEPB_l8FU

cbyerlee
03-06-2013, 09:13 PM
I see my thread brought out the best in everyone. I wasn't advocating for Paleo I was just questioning it in a general sense because a friend of mine has been following it for years and mentioned it to me.

I am on day 3 of concocting paleo recipes and I enjoy what I am eating. I am not doing it 100% correct and in know that. As stated Organic grass fed meat is just too expensive for me. Plus I live in a small area where accessing the meat involves a 40 minute drive and stocking up isn't within budget. If I had the money i would give it a shot.

The "research" presented by Loren Cordain in regards to dairy and gluten are some interesting arguments against the two so it made me intrigued on seeing the effects.

cbyerlee
03-07-2013, 09:26 AM

According to the research presented by the founder of the diet, people have varying degrees of sensitivity to gluten and dairy and some may not even have noticeable effects. The argument is that is someone has a sensitivity to gluten/dairy the body reacts as it being a foreign object and reacts my causing inflammation. The inflammation may not be noticeable for years but can potentionally make the symptoms of arthritis worse if a person gets it

SuffolkPunch
03-07-2013, 09:36 AM
The problem is that for every person who has a genuine issue with something like gluten, there are 10 hypochondriac who blame everything except their overeating and underexercising for their weight gain, feelings of lethargy or anxiety, acne, piles, depression, fallen arches, whatever.

Ultimately, people have to decide for themselves what works. We have always said the subjective feeling of being 'energetic' or otherwise in the gym is a highly individual thing that people have to discover for themselves.

Having overcome onset type II diabetes using a VLCKD diet, I am happy to report that I can fit anything I want into my diet and will always have a good workout.

cbyerlee
03-07-2013, 10:49 AM
The problem is that for every person who has a genuine issue with something like gluten, there are 10 hypochondriac who blame everything except their overeating and underexercising for their weight gain, feelings of lethargy or anxiety, acne, piles, depression, fallen arches, whatever.

Ultimately, people have to decide for themselves what works. We have always said the subjective feeling of being 'energetic' or otherwise in the gym is a highly individual thing that people have to discover for themselves.

Having overcome onset type II diabetes using a VLCKD diet, I am happy to report that I can fit anything I want into my diet and will always have a good workout.

Valid point. I'm giving it a shot bc I have arthritis in my hip and technically qualify for replacement but was told to wait as long as I could bc I'm only 29