PDA

View Full Version : protein confusion

mikemikeface
02-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Hi,
I'm a bit confused and need some pro advice or something!? Basically I've been looking into how much protein I need aand how to work out my macros, i'm bulking at the moment so I was going to do a 40/40/20 split of protein/carbs/fat, but..... i've read that there's no point in having more than 1 gram of protein per llb of bodyweight becsause it gets wasted/ not used, so - if i was to say I want to have 3000 calories per day - 40 per cent of that makes 1200 calories of protein and carbs and the rest fat. ok so far? If a gram of protein and carbs are about 4 cals per gram that would mean i need 300 grams of both carbs/protein. Split that into 6 even portions it would be 50 grams of protein per portion? which works out at double the recommended gram per lb of bodyweight, if i have worked it out right , that is??! so if i wanted to follow the 40/40/20, how would I do it, would i need to be having 2 grams per lb? If i work it out the other way round - by going by 1 gram per pound of bodyweight that would be 150 grams which would make the split something like 20/60/20 to get the same calories from the increased carbs but with lower protein intake? what the??? confusion.

KirkRobertson
02-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Hi,
I'm a bit confused and need some pro advice or something!? Basically I've been looking into how much protein I need aand how to work out my macros, i'm bulking at the moment so I was going to do a 40/40/20 split of protein/carbs/fat, but..... i've read that there's no point in having more than 1 gram of protein per llb of bodyweight becsause it gets wasted/ not used, so - if i was to say I want to have 3000 calories per day - 40 per cent of that makes 1200 calories of protein and carbs and the rest fat. ok so far? If a gram of protein and carbs are about 4 cals per gram that would mean i need 300 grams of both carbs/protein. Split that into 6 even portions it would be 50 grams of protein per portion? which works out at double the recommended gram per lb of bodyweight, if i have worked it out right , that is??! so if i wanted to follow the 40/40/20, how would I do it, would i need to be having 2 grams per lb? If i work it out the other way round - by going by 1 gram per pound of bodyweight that would be 150 grams which would make the split something like 20/60/20 to get the same calories from the increased carbs but with lower protein intake? what the??? confusion.

It's simple 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and then make sure you're on a caloric surplus of about 20 percent

ELLSKIES
02-26-2013, 03:51 PM
^^This. Also, don't use ratios to calculate macros. Check out the "sticky" at the top of the Nutrition section for calculating calorie and macronutrient needs.

mwenzlaff
02-26-2013, 04:11 PM
if you are looking to bulk 1g of protein for 1lb of body weight is the bare minimum...try 1.5-2g of protein per pound of body weight.

MichielN
02-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Actually 0,8g/lbs is enough.

paulzee
02-26-2013, 04:51 PM
As mentioned above, go from the calculating macronutrient sticky in the nutrition forum.

I got on 1g per lb of lean body mass for protein (roughly calculated) and 0.5g per lb of lean body mass for fats. Seems to be working well for me.

mikemikeface
02-27-2013, 05:20 AM
OK Thanks, i've had a look at the sticky and that makes it so much simpler! Why do some people break the protein/carbs/fat into ratios? I think I was mixing up two different ways of doing it. So for me at 150 lb, I would have 150 grams protein, around 520 g carbs (whilst bulking) and 75g fat per day, which works out at around 3245 kcal.