PDA

View Full Version : my after workout nutrition .. is it good ?

TheFudge
02-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Hey guys ,

Its been 3 weeks since I started working out (seeing some decent results , my body looks more wider and biceps more bigger . but genetically I have narrow shoulders :( )
I am not taking any protein shakes or anykind of supplements as I dont see the need of it .

After workout I have 1 glass of milk , 1x chicken breast , 3x boiled eggs (only white) and an energy bar (home made . main ingredients are oats , peanut butter and another small secret ;) .

Is this enough for after gym ?
Il also be adding some tomato base juice as it helps recovery and gives better results (some scientists did some kinda of research and was posted in the daily news paper which I buy)

Kindly share your opinions ,

Fudge

Murdok1741
02-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a good meal to me. The way you phrased the question implies that you think there needs to be some meal post workout, which there's no necessity for it unless you just happen to be really hungry immediately after. Adding tomato base juice is fine, but there's no special "recovery" to be gained from it, just gives more micronutrients (vitamins).

g4wjus
02-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Sounds like a good meal to me. The way you phrased the question implies that you think there needs to be some meal post workout, which there's no necessity for it unless you just happen to be really hungry immediately after. Adding tomato base juice is fine, but there's no special "recovery" to be gained from it, just gives more micronutrients (vitamins).

could you pls explain this? i hear you it would be detrimental or at least sub-optimal to not eat a post workout meal. could be bro science.

Murdok1741
02-21-2013, 09:12 PM
could you pls explain this? i hear you it would be detrimental or at least sub-optimal to not eat a post workout meal. could be bro science.

What I mean by that is you don't have to eat a meal within 30 minutes of your workout. You could eat it 1-2 hours later if you so desire. Not detrimental and not necessarily sub optimal. The idea behind it was that consuming protein and a source of simple carbohydrate would momentarily spike insulin levels (which improves the muscle's ability to take in glucose) and enable quicker recovery after the workout. But whether you eat that meal immediately after the workout or a little bit later is not going to make a difference because the net effect at the end of the day will be the same. The only time you would need to consume some form of simple carbohydrate would be after a long period of continuous activity, like a marathon, which would deplete glycogen in the muscle (at which point you would be exhausted) and even then it's not absolutely necessarily unless you go on to do some other form of exercise that same day.

gbullock32
02-21-2013, 09:19 PM

Read the stickies, you don't need to eat after working out unless you want to; you don't go catabolic for a long time.

TheFudge
02-24-2013, 01:16 AM

Ah ! Thank you for sharing your knowledge . I guess then tomatoes wont really help . Il just add in a multi Vitamin after workout along the meal.

Regards,

Fudge