PDA

View Full Version : Possible to cut from 215 at 18% to 10-12% by July 13th? Tips?

lynchseb
02-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Hi all so I've begun a pretty solid workout plan in the past few weeks but mostly I've just really restructured my diet. My goal is to get as lean as possible by mid July (it's my cousins wedding and I'm going to Europe, those are my tangible motivators but I really just want to get lean like I was around 19-20)

I am 183 cm tall at about 18% body fat. I have a larger than average amount of muscle for someone of my height which is why I'm sitting at 215lbs at the moment.

Measurements
Chest:44
Biceps:17
Shoulders:54
Waist: 35.5
Hips: 38
Neck: 16

I've calculated my BMR to be 2061 calories x 1.6 for a high end of moderate lifestyle to being a total of 3,297 calories per day. I have cut 24% off of that which equates to roughly 2500 calories per day.

I do 15 minutes of skipping rope (at a moderate pace of about 100-120 revolutions per minute) every morning except the occasional morning if I have work or too exhausted from hockey etc.. But i average 5-7 times a week. So let's call it 6 times a week.

My diet right now is very regimented I think but always looking for advice.

Pre-breakfast:
fish oils, multivitamins

Breakfast
1 scoop of Greens+ and 250 ml of orange
1 scoop whey isolate + 250 ml water
1 cup skim milk
1 cup Shredded wheat with bran

Lunch

1 tbsp all natural peanut butter
1 cup mixed berries
1 cup skim milk
1 scoop whey isolate
0.25 cup oats
*all this is blended and drunk.

Dinner

1 whole wheat fajita
100 gram lean ground turkey
1tsp franks red hot sauce on top (or another kind of hot sauce but i monitor sodium)

Snack:

1 cup whey isolate.

My breakfast lunch and dinner with and snack combine to a total of 1518 calories with a 14/46/40 calorie ratio of fat/carb/protein. Which means I need to fill in another 1000 calories per day roughly.

My main question is that somedays I do not do that and only get up to about 2000 calories per day. To fill in my calories I will do a few different things.

egg white meal = 491 calories

reduced salt triscuit = each serving is 80 calories and I might eat 16 crackers so 4 servings. In canada their ingredients are simply "whole grain wheat, soybean oil, salt" each serving has 2.5 fat (0.4 sat) 2g fibre (13 g carb), 2 g protein. I understand that they might not be the best thing but I don't see them as being the worst thing either and I do like the taste and it's a good way for me to keep balanced. but please let me know if this is a terrible idea for me and will ruin my goals.

another turkey wrap = 320 calories.

And that is pretty much the breadth of my diet. I will also make vegetable shakes in my vitamix blender but not often.

Vege shake is 546 calories and is made of

1 cup broccoli or kale
1 cup spinach
1 cup skim milk
1 cup mixed berries
1 banana
1 scoop whey isolate
1 tbs all natural peanut butter

I understand that diet is the most important factor in weight loss and if anyone would look at my diet and see if it is decent, whether 2500 calories is sufficient or too much or too little etc...

My workout regime is gym 3 times a week doing a lot of unusual movements, core strengthening, off balance movements with BOSU balls, Medicine balls, weighted balls etc... I've moved away from traditional weight lifting in the past month and into this to promote more functional movements for myself and due to back injuries, I also do 20 minutes of cardio during each gym session, low intensity walking at 4mph. I also play hockey 2 times a week.

Total activity is per week

gym x 3
skip rope x 6
walking 20 minutes x 3
hockey x 2

I am a student, my profession is infantry reserves so my job is active and I do not own a car so walk or bus everywhere. I have a cheat meal 1 time per month or 1 timer per 3 weeks and that is all.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I understand that this is a mish mash and shows that I do not have a clear understanding of all of this but this is what I DO know about myself and I would be more than willing to provide clarification on certain things if it would make it easier to determine if I'm on the right track. I simply wanted to put as much information as I understand about my body and diet on this as I could.

Thanks again

-Sebastian

Joehunni
02-21-2013, 12:51 PM
If you have been seeing success and progress with this then just keep at it. You only need to lose like 13ish pounds so that is a very realistic goal.

lynchseb
02-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Okay great, thanks a lot! Well I've dropped from 223 (after getting back to school from holiday break) to 215 now. But most of it in past 3 weeks. I just didn't know specifically if my macros were good or whether I should add more to my diet, if things like triscuits need to be taken out etc... essentially ways to tweak my diet because from what I understand 10-12% BF is built in the Kitchen more than in the Gym.

SteveFromNY
02-21-2013, 02:34 PM
kudos to you- you obviously read the stickies and did your homework. but I personally would go crazy eating stuff that looked great on paper (and mostly liquid). it wasn't until i was able to fit foods I ate everyday INTO my macros that my cut became successful, with minimal urges to cheat.

Vaylor
02-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Make you are:

- Eat 1g protein / lb lean body mass.
- Eat 0.45g fat / lb body weight.

kanis999
02-21-2013, 04:21 PM
It took me 7 months to go from 18% to 10%. You could do it faster, but don't go to fast if you want to spare muscle.

camdensdaddy
02-21-2013, 05:24 PM

-Sebastian

No worries. 1.5 pounds a week should get you roughly close to 10% by that time and it's not likely to have much of an effect on muscle loss. You just have to make sure that your diet is in check and you keep lifting. 2500 seems like a good start...if you're not losing 1.5 pounds a week then cut the calories slightly. If you're losing more than 2 then you might want to add a few. Just keep your eye on it. As you lose weight your body will require fewer calories, so, you will have to drop them eventually.

As for the triscuits or whatever...don't sweat it. As long as you're getting proper protein, fat, and carbs and are in a deficit you will lose weight. They're probably a little high in salt, but unless you're watching sodium for other health reasons I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: This assumes you are 18% bf...I have no idea whether that is accurate or not...seems plausible though.

Second Edit: Just realized that you're drinking your lunch and most of your breakfast. Nothing necessarily wrong with that if it keeps you satiated...I would highly recommend getting some real food in at those times though. As you cut calories a few protein shakes aren't likely to keep you full.

lynchseb
02-22-2013, 01:30 PM
It took me 7 months to go from 18% to 10%. You could do it faster, but don't go to fast if you want to spare muscle.

Thanks for response, my timeline is not too far under 7 months. Started in February and leaving around mid July so about 6.5 months, so right around there. Do you remember if your macros were similar to mine relative to our different body sizes?

lynchseb
02-22-2013, 01:35 PM
No worries. 1.5 pounds a week should get you roughly close to 10% by that time and it's not likely to have much of an effect on muscle loss. You just have to make sure that your diet is in check and you keep lifting. 2500 seems like a good start...if you're not losing 1.5 pounds a week then cut the calories slightly. If you're losing more than 2 then you might want to add a few. Just keep your eye on it. As you lose weight your body will require fewer calories, so, you will have to drop them eventually.

As for the triscuits or whatever...don't sweat it. As long as you're getting proper protein, fat, and carbs and are in a deficit you will lose weight. They're probably a little high in salt, but unless you're watching sodium for other health reasons I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: This assumes you are 18% bf...I have no idea whether that is accurate or not...seems plausible though.

Second Edit: Just realized that you're drinking your lunch and most of your breakfast. Nothing necessarily wrong with that if it keeps you satiated...I would highly recommend getting some real food in at those times though. As you cut calories a few protein shakes aren't likely to keep you full.

I've changed much of my routine around to only 3 days in the actual gym with a huge emphasis on non traditional movements. So dumbbell on a Swiss ball with one hand carrying 2/3 of the other hands weight. Or simply a lot of bodyweight movements like plank pushups/swiss ball drops etc... a lot of core emphasis.

When you recommend to continue lifting does it matter what I lift, whether it's my own body or a piece of iron? On days where I'm not in the gym i'm playing hockey 2 times a week skipping every day, as I said, and trying to do as many pushups/pull ups as I can in a day (on off days) with the goal of reaching 1000 pushups and 250 pull ups. Also thanks for tip on triscuit, just gotta keep calories within a 25/40/35 ratio roughly and I should. At 2000-2500 calories depending on how I feel/energy levels.