PDA

View Full Version : 90's basketball is overrated. (videos)

Hardcore_D00d
02-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Everyone here acts like 90's ball was legendary and physical and epic. well guess what, when u were watching it u were a fuking kid so yeah it looked awesome. but that's just it. it's just a legend now and every year the stories gets more outrageous. now here is reality.

YxQq-eMN-lU

H7dnHkHGcug

sorry but i dont see the extreme physicality and hardcore defense. in fact they seemed weaker and slower back then. and their ball handling sucked more. yeah they had hand checking back then but so what. im sorry but King James would annihilate them

speddddd
02-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Age 19

Looks @ Sig...

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac246/ndv21/Gif%20images/th71ee9575.gif

sandpapergooch
02-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Nostalgia is powerful, go watch old episodes of "all that" or "kenan and kel" you'll feel like chit afterwards

Hardcore_D00d
02-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Age 19

Looks @ Sig...

tape dont lie. ur going off old legends bro.

AlphaBaller
02-16-2013, 10:05 PM
wow, wtf are people talking about when they say people from the 90s are better? Just a hardcore case of nostalgia, there were two wide open dunks on both sides in the first 2 minutes of the game lmao

thefederalist
02-16-2013, 10:06 PM
looks like sunday morning hangover games at the YMCA.

fkin lol

FlabbyAndSick
02-16-2013, 10:08 PM
adusCcba89o

Old school defense

Sidenote: My favorite part is at 1:55

Danny Ainge: Michael Jordan is the greatest because he played on both sides of the court.

Magic: Michael dominated on offense and defense.

Barkley: They always say "Who's the next Michael Jordan?" and they only look at offense. Michael Jordan was the best defensive player who played in our era. And that's what separated him.

Kenny: Agreed. The domination everywhere.

Meanwhile on the misc jordan is looked upon has having poverty defense that pales in comparison to pippen's secret service type defense.

Future24
02-16-2013, 10:08 PM
In 10 years the kids who are 7 years old now will be saying that our decade basketball is over rated. Get the fuk over it phaggot.

sdballer5588
02-16-2013, 10:19 PM
In 10 years the kids who are 7 years old now will be saying that our decade basketball is over rated. Get the fuk over it phaggot.

Missingthepoint/10

Hardcore_D00d
02-16-2013, 10:22 PM

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/78611i000F50F16949AB01/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Strizzz
02-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Age 19

Looks @ Sig...

Mentions age. Doesn't realize mentioning it is completely meaningless since you can watch the majority of these games online. The point of this thread clearly went over your head.

speddddd
02-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Mentions age. Doesn't realize mentioning it is completely meaningless since you can watch the majority of these games online. The point of this thread clearly went over your head.

brb lets watch two vids OMG WHOLE 90's IS OVERRATED

Lebron nuthuggers at its finest.

homicidal_misc
02-16-2013, 10:58 PM
yeah reminds me of when a 39 YO MJ averaged 23 PPG coming off his couch and even scored 51 in a game.

Future24
02-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Missingthepoint/10No I'm not. I made the point. You missed it. This was the point.

Strizzz
02-16-2013, 11:01 PM
brb lets watch two vids OMG WHOLE 90's IS OVERRATED

Lebron nuthuggers at its finest.

You can't possibly be this stupid. You DO realize there are more than just 2 videos on the ENITRE internet and the majority of 90s game are identical to these 2 right?

yeah reminds me of when a 39 YO MJ averaged 23 PPG coming off his couch and even scored 51 in a game.

He's the GOAT for a reason, unfortunately you can't use his play alone as a generalization for the whole 90s era.

evansanity
02-16-2013, 11:01 PM
yeah the sport gets more and more athletic every year. Players get bigger, faster and stronger with each coming season. Heck post moves now-a-day are a 1000x more intracit than they were in the 70's.

AGangsta
02-16-2013, 11:23 PM
90's basketball was the best for anyone who understands the game. overall, the players were less athletic, but compensated by actually intelligently and for the team. today's NBA is comprised of thugs and idiots who possess insane athletic ability, but hardly any fundamentals or passion for the game. kobe is the only player who currently embodies 90s basketball. very few players in modern day NBA are complete players like mj, malone, hakeem, pippen, 90s legends were back in the day.

as good as lebron is, he wouldn't be as effective at scoring if the rules weren't changed. he would have to adapt and build a mid range shot like every other good player back then. hand checking would let defenders push him away from the basket on drives and the lack of defensive 3 seconds would allow opposing teams to clog up the middle. his scoring would suffer but his assists and defensive stats would be skyrocket

athleticism isn't everything.

Aussiebrah66
02-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Nostalgia is powerful, go watch old episodes of "all that" or "kenan and kel" you'll feel like chit afterwards

no way homes kenan and kel is amazing; watched the movie the other day and loved it

ajn
02-16-2013, 11:34 PM
lol so true.. me and my friends were baked and we thought it would be a good idea to watch some old episodes of keenan and kel.. that show was garbage lmfao

Shazik
02-16-2013, 11:36 PM
90's basketball was the best for anyone who understands the game. overall, the players were less athletic, but compensated by actually intelligently and for the team. today's NBA is comprised of thugs and idiots who possess insane athletic ability, but hardly any fundamentals or passion for the game. kobe is the only player who currently embodies 90s basketball. very few players in modern day NBA are complete players like mj, malone, hakeem, pippen, 90s legends were back in the day.

as good as lebron is, he wouldn't be as effective at scoring if the rules weren't changed. he would have to adapt and build a mid range shot like every other good player back then. hand checking would let defenders push him away from the basket on drives and the lack of defensive 3 seconds would allow opposing teams to clog up the middle. his scoring would suffer but his assists and defensive stats would be skyrocket

athleticism isn't everything.Was tempted to stop reading this post when you used the cliche "thug" and "low bball iq" generalizations, but read on and your idiocy is incredible. Negged this post and I hope someone with a huge rep power puts you into the red. Holy fuk you're an idiot.

1.) LeBron's mid-range accuracy this year is higher than Jordan's and he's shooting 42 percent from three. Low usage rate, sure, but just watch the games. The myth that he can't shoot is just that...a myth.
2.) The game has evolved, offensively and defensively. You can make the case that 90's D was "physical" but it was brutish. Modern defense is played in a team manner with formations, double teams and constant switching as opposed to the 90's heavy favoritism to 1 on 1, and is unlike anything Jordan has ever seen...lol in the 90's you couldn't even play zone. Offensively btw, today's game is about efficiency and letting the player with the most open shot shoot...rather than forcing the ball to your big man in the post and letting him throw up 32 attempts.
3.) There are just as many "complete" player's in today's NBA as there were in the 90's NBA...your argument should be that there were more complete big men in the 90's but this has more to do with 90's offenses catering to big man rather than today's big men really being that much worse to be honest.

sdballer5588
02-16-2013, 11:56 PM
No I'm not. I made the point. You missed it. This was the point.

Nah man. I understand that. I'm just hoping I won't be a member of this delusional majority.

speddddd
02-17-2013, 12:12 AM
Nah man. I understand that. I'm just hoping I won't be a member of this delusional majority.

You're a Lebron nuthugger, you're already a member.

ImInTHIS
02-17-2013, 12:17 AM
90s will always be better than the 20th century. Everything today is Sht. Name one good thing today that is better than back then.

dillow
02-17-2013, 12:21 AM
lol so true.. me and my friends were baked and we thought it would be a good idea to watch some old episodes of keenan and kel.. that show was garbage lmfao

keenen and kel was always garbage.....

if you really bout you would've watched "My Brother and Me"

dRose37
02-17-2013, 12:26 AM
1:40:47 in todays league wouldve been a double technical foul

yogurt23
02-17-2013, 12:30 AM
K9u3TwLdgoM

watch this whole vid and tell me its overrated u phaggot

FlabbyAndSick
02-17-2013, 06:18 AM
K9u3TwLdgoM

watch this whole vid and tell me its overrated u phaggot

lol @ starks kicking the ball into the stands and no technical given. 90's basketball. Where officials weren't so easily offended.

R.Cranium
02-17-2013, 07:04 AM
lol @ anyone saying lebron is going to get hand-checked by anyone, especially in the 90's....

playing up on him is exactly how you dont want to guard him.

FapToLebron
02-17-2013, 07:30 AM
90s was a terrible watered down league compared to now. Expansion diluted the talent pool and no team back then was even half as talented as the current Okolohoma City Thunder except the Bulls.

NotSureIfCereal
02-17-2013, 07:38 AM
Do they even call traveling anymore?

NJLife
02-17-2013, 07:46 AM
the players werent as weak minded imo. everybody these days are prima donas and babied coddled from middle school. everyone thinks they are the greatest because they score 30ppg while not even playing defense. everything since jordan has been individualistic and nobody cares about team. I GOT MY 30, TEAM SUCKS.

Whatev. different era, different game.

nvrstopworking
02-17-2013, 09:20 AM
yeah the sport gets more and more athletic every year. Players get bigger, faster and stronger with each coming season. Heck post moves now-a-day are a 1000x more intracit than they were in the 70's.

1. I think you mean... "intricate".

2. Ummm.... no. Hakeem and McHale's post moves chit on everyone's from this era. There's a reason why current stars are going to work with Hakeem right now.

the players werent as weak minded imo. everybody these days are prima donas and babied coddled from middle school. everyone thinks they are the greatest because they score 30ppg while not even playing defense. everything since jordan has been individualistic and nobody cares about team. I GOT MY 30, TEAM SUCKS.

Whatev. different era, different game.

Very true. This started with Jordan unfortunately. Blame him, Nike and Gatorade for marketing the chit out of him too highlighting his scoring more than anything else.

spirit3530
02-17-2013, 09:36 AM
In on MJ hate thread.

jujuB
02-17-2013, 09:43 AM
I dont think anyone in the 90's had any athletic ability as good as lebron modern day. just look at the leg size comparison. there's a huge difference in being a mesomorph in the 90's in comparison to today, such as lebron. even if he's taking it to the hoop to dunk and gets fouled, his bone density is so thick that it knocks anyone that collides with him out of the way.

lee4
02-17-2013, 11:37 AM
lol @ anyone saying lebron is going to get hand-checked by anyone, especially in the 90's....

playing up on him is exactly how you dont want to guard him.

are you being serious right now???

UsernameTaken
02-17-2013, 01:16 PM

athleticism isn't everything.Leave it to a fellow 07 join date to post something rational.

Bolded portion is true as heck.

IsoMaxx
02-17-2013, 01:21 PM
OP

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm2wv1mFGr1qfc9t2.gif

lemme guess, modern music is beter than music was 20-30 years ago? LOL go listen to some "trance" hahaha

CriticalThought
02-17-2013, 02:52 PM
athleticism isnt as important as you guys think

if it was guys like gerald green would be superstars and players like nash or tim duncan would be garbage

R.Cranium
02-17-2013, 03:29 PM
are you being serious right now???

You must be retarded. Do coaches tell players do get right up on LeBron, or tell them to play off and make him shoot a jump shot?

And lol again if you think anyone would be able to hand-check LeBron. Stop letting nostalgia cloud your perception.

Nara62629
02-17-2013, 03:36 PM
athleticism isnt as important as you guys think

if it was guys like gerald green would be superstars and players like nash or tim duncan would be garbage
this. the athleticism is overrated in todays league. just watch today's game and the fundamental aspect is gone. the overall skill just isn't there.

BullBoy8
02-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Leave it to a fellow 07 join date to post something rational.

Bolded portion is true as heck.

KG? Rose? Westbrook? Regardless of what people says about Westbrook and his attitude, he has passion for the game and wants to win. He has killer instinct. Also CP3, Lebron, Noah, Nash, Pierce, etc, etc. The list goes on.

UsernameTaken
02-17-2013, 03:47 PM
lol @ starks kicking the ball into the stands and no technical given. 90's basketball. Where officials weren't so easily offended.This.

HATEEEEE this current pussified society rule changes.

lee4
02-18-2013, 11:49 AM
You must be retarded. Do coaches tell players do get right up on LeBron, or tell them to play off and make him shoot a jump shot?

And lol again if you think anyone would be able to hand-check LeBron. Stop letting nostalgia cloud your perception.

yes, i'm retarded enough to know defensive strategy changes with the hand checking rule. and yes i'm "clouded" enough to think "lebron" would be the first immune to a hand check, lol.