PDA

View Full Version : Medicaid... Pregnancy?

SpyderTT
02-14-2013, 07:46 AM
If someone does not make enough money to afford their own healthcare, should pregnance be a covered element of their government funded health insurance?

If not, should adoption be required?

We just had a child, and our portion that we will have to pay is close to $5000 for the birth with the way that our insurance is currently structured. I am not complaining about this cost because the premiums that we have to contribute annually are nominal. But if someone who can't afford premiums wants to have a baby (because bearing children is a human right or whatever you want to call it) should we continue as taxpayers to pay for it?

germanyt
02-14-2013, 09:07 AM
If someone does not make enough money to afford their own healthcare, should pregnance be a covered element of their government funded health insurance?

If not, should adoption be required?

We just had a child, and our portion that we will have to pay is close to $5000 for the birth with the way that our insurance is currently structured. I am not complaining about this cost because the premiums that we have to contribute annually are nominal. But if someone who can't afford premiums wants to have a baby (because bearing children is a human right or whatever you want to call it) should we continue as taxpayers to pay for it?

You have to look at the consequences of not covering it. Option 1 is that the woman goes to full term risking complications without once seeing a doctor and then goes to the ER to have the child where tax payers will still wind up paying for it. Option 2 is they abort the child because they can't afford the cost of pregnancy. I'm sure that'll rustle some jimmies. Option 3 I guess is to pay for the pregnancy but then force the woman to put the child up for adoption. You and I both know that is not okay.

What we need to do is better educate people on these matters and where that falls short offer contraception. It is after all cheaper than paying for pregnancy and it helps keep children from being born into low income and poverty stricken households.

YUL
02-14-2013, 09:10 AM
But if someone who can't afford premiums wants to have a baby (because bearing children is a human right or whatever you want to call it) should we continue as taxpayers to pay for it?

you think people will stop procreating just because they won't have access to pre/post natal care?

SpyderTT
02-14-2013, 09:21 AM
That is why I threw in the idea of adoption... I know it isn't ok, but it does slightly rustle the old jimmies that we have to pay, while others don't have to. Also, I recently had some close friends go through the entire process to adopt a child. It was extremely costly and some of the things that they had to endure were pretty difficult for them.