PDA

View Full Version : Calories for Cutting

khanson1210
02-06-2013, 10:42 PM
I currently weigh about 200 lbs and im beginning to cut. what is an accurate formula to determine calories? I am currently multiplying my bodyweight by 10-12 and using that range. However, i used the harris benedict and that gives me a much larger range.

JaredPunch
02-06-2013, 10:52 PM
I currently weigh about 200 lbs and im beginning to cut. what is an accurate formula to determine calories? I am currently multiplying my bodyweight by 10-12 and using that range. However, i used the harris benedict and that gives me a much larger range.

The problem with Harris-Benedict and others it's that you multiply your BMR for an arbitrary activity factor which never represents that real calorie expenditure of your activity. 1 hour of non-circuit weight lifting, including rests and everything burns at most 200 calories.

If you're sedentary the whole day and then train 1 hour 5 times a week, you might think you're moderately active (exercising 4-5 times a week) and hence burning 900 calories more than if you were sedentary, where you're actually burning 200 calories than if you were sedentary.

That's why 12xbw works better
Or at least BMR x 1.2 (what you burn just doing small activities like cooking, reading, typing, walking around...) plus the calories burned with exercise, and they are way less than people think

khanson1210
02-06-2013, 11:04 PM
The problem with Harris-Benedict and others it's that you multiply your BMR for an arbitrary activity factor which never represents that real calorie expenditure of your activity. 1 hour of non-circuit weight lifting, including rests and everything burns at most 200 calories.

If you're sedentary the whole day and then train 1 hour 5 times a week, you might think you're moderately active (exercising 4-5 times a week) and hence burning 900 calories more than if you were sedentary, where you're actually burning 200 calories than if you were sedentary.

That's why 12xbw works better
Or at least BMR x 1.2 (what you burn just doing small activities like cooking, reading, typing, walking around...) plus the calories burned with exercise, and they are way less than people think

alright thanks. im currently eating 2400 calories a day (12*bw) so i will just keep this up and see how it goes.

AlwaysTryin
02-07-2013, 01:03 AM
I currently weigh about 200 lbs and im beginning to cut. what is an accurate formula to determine calories? I am currently multiplying my bodyweight by 10-12 and using that range. However, i used the harris benedict and that gives me a much larger range.an accurate method is to pick ANY calorie amount and stick to it for a few weeks then adjust based on real results