PDA

View Full Version : Losing fat, but getting muscle mass.

HalfBaker
02-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Hey guys. I currently want to build muscle mass and bulk up but at the same time trim some of my fat. I've been hearing/reading that it's either you cut or you bulk up. I've also been seeing some articles about being able to do both but I'm not sure what is ideal or realistic. I'm 19 years old, 5'7, and around 175lbs. I'm 13% bf. I've been lifting everyday for a few months now and starting to already see results. Supplement wise, I'm using Beast creatine and ON Gold Standard 100% Whey protein. I've just started to eat more greens and high protein foods such as tuna, tilapia, and chicken. It's hard sometimes to watch what I eat because I work at a deli and some of the food there is more convient. Any help on my carb intake and how I can bulk up and trim fat? My upper abs are poking out and look really nice when I flex. It's just the lower part that is bothering me.

softpounder
02-05-2013, 08:38 PM
The only time that you will be able to build muscle and lose fat at the same time is;
- Newbie lifter (under a year of serious experience I'd say)
- Clinically obese people
- Teenagers
- People who stopped for a long time and coming back (refer to Newbie lifter)

Other than that, the only way to build muscle and fat at the same time is through a recomp. It is a timely process where you eat at maintenance and keep on lifting weights as heavy as you can. It takes very long and I put the bold on very long because it does take forever for this to happen. Just in order to save time, people normally go on a bulk, then cut, and get the results they've always wanted way faster than through a recomposition.

Read nutrition sections and the stickies for more nutrition information. Doesn't matter what you eat really, just read that first and you'll see.

Other than that, I'd recommend a clean bulk until you're 20 years old because your hormones are still very high at the age of 19 so you can take advantage of that and build muscle faster than us people.

Only way to have complete 6 abs is go through a cut right now, but you'll look like Justin Bieber. I'm dead serious. If you do not have enough lean body mass to look good skinny, then I'd rather clean bulk first, then go on a cut to be proportionate and look good.

PS: Supplements aren't needed in order to look good / nutrition. It's just optional btw.

andrewf1993
02-06-2013, 04:48 AM
Softpounder is correct make life easier on yourself I pick whether you want to bulk or cut

HalfBaker
02-06-2013, 10:12 AM
The only time that you will be able to build muscle and lose fat at the same time is;
- Teenagers

Other than that, the only way to build muscle and fat at the same time is through a recomp. It is a timely process where you eat at maintenance and keep on lifting weights as heavy as you can. It takes very long and I put the bold on very long because it does take forever for this to happen. Just in order to save time, people normally go on a bulk, then cut, and get the results they've always wanted way faster than through a recomposition.

Read nutrition sections and the stickies for more nutrition information. Doesn't matter what you eat really, just read that first and you'll see.

Other than that, I'd recommend a clean bulk until you're 20 years old because your hormones are still very high at the age of 19 so you can take advantage of that and build muscle faster than us people.

Only way to have complete 6 abs is go through a cut right now, but you'll look like Justin Bieber. I'm dead serious. If you do not have enough lean body mass to look good skinny, then I'd rather clean bulk first, then go on a cut to be proportionate and look good.

PS: Supplements aren't needed in order to look good / nutrition. It's just optional btw.

Thanks! Since I'm still young, I'll most likely just bulk up. I'm pretty stocky for my size so I feel like I won't look like Jbiebs.

tonzoffun
02-06-2013, 10:17 AM
- Teenagers

this, pretty much covers it