PDA

View Full Version : What would it take for a defensive player to win NFL MVP?

2L8forGrace
02-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Just curious what you guys think a defensive player needs to do to win an MVP.

BRB can't be on garbage team
BRB hard to win on a good team (QB or RB most likely doing most the work and getting attention)

BRB in the last 40 years a kicker has won the NFL MVP as many times as a defensive player.

Mind=blown

Phil9
02-02-2013, 08:52 PM
These days? Probably impossible. Offensive players get more opportunities to have mind blowing stats and get most of the hype.

DasWunderBrah
02-02-2013, 08:57 PM
1. likable/popular player in the league
2. Break at least one significant record
3. Single handedly win one or multiple games in a superhuman fashion
4. No unanimous player candidates from the offensive side

maybe

AGangsta
02-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Just curious what you guys think a defensive player needs to do to win an MVP.

BRB can't be on garbage team
BRB hard to win on a good team (QB or RB most likely doing most the work and getting attention)

BRB in the last 40 years a kicker has won the NFL MVP as many times as a defensive player.

Mind=blown

need to bribe the media to constantly hype him up. probably would be a revolutionary db combination of revis/woodson/tillman on a team like the steelers/bucs so critics can't give all the credit to the offense like they can right now

brb shutdown cb and interceptions
brb qb sacks off the edge
brb game changing forced fumbles and turnovers

AGangsta
02-02-2013, 09:03 PM
forgot to mention...be incredible on special teams kick returning(if it exists) and punt returning

YesWayNoWeigh
02-02-2013, 09:03 PM
20 interceptions

TheDude1987
02-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Have an insane year and assassinate about 10 offensive players that would be ahead of him.

brb_ballin
02-02-2013, 09:57 PM
I think if Watt broke the sack record and it was a season with no real stand out... no AP beast, Peyton comeback.

we could see it... cause odds are likely Watt will have a better year in his career because he's so young... break the record, tackle machine, force fumbles and swat like a DB.

but odds are against it. possible but unlikely.

phillyfreak7
02-02-2013, 10:00 PM
If Watt broke the sack record, he would have won it.

Had Peterson broke Dickerson's record and Watt broke the sack record, it would have probably went to Peterson.

IsLifeRealLife
02-02-2013, 10:03 PM
break interception and sack record

HeeeyYouGuuuys
02-02-2013, 10:07 PM
No defensive player ever should be MVP. Offense dictates where the ball goes, so if a defensive player is that super amazing (which could happen), teams will keep the ball out of that player's vicinity.

But yeah, it could happen, even though it'd be a bad award. The other posts already cover what it would take. And I'm not saying a defensive player can't be the BEST player in the NFL, of course they can. There's just no realistic way one can be the most valuable.

Gooner89
02-02-2013, 10:15 PM
If someone broke the INT record (14) and returned multiple kicks for TD's (Hester's record is 5) on special teams I could see it happening. I think Watt/any pass rusher would need to shatter the record with something like 30 sacks.

uJelly87
02-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Leading tackler, most sacks and most interceptions for that particular season, only way of getting it probably

1800_Cool_Guy
02-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Team has to be the best in the league while having one of the best defensive teams ever while having a chit offense and chit QB like Trent Dilfer. Only then.

ilovedrpepper
02-03-2013, 12:29 AM
No defensive player ever should be MVP. Offense dictates where the ball goes, so if a defensive player is that super amazing (which could happen), teams will keep the ball out of that player's vicinity.

If a team keeps the ball out of a defensive players vicinity then that is exactly dictating where the ball goes just like an offensive player.

SLapCHop
02-03-2013, 12:39 AM
somthing like 13-3+ record

linebacker stats:
17+ sacks
5+ ints
5+ forced fumbles
3+ fumble recoveries
120+ tackles
10+ pass deflected
game winning plays

WestAfrica
02-03-2013, 01:01 AM
Inb4 Madden 2013 season
163 tackles
15 sacks
13 INTs
3 fumbles
5 TDs

23 carries 250 yds 5 tds
39 catches 423 yds 7 tds
PR 2 tds
KR 3 tds
3/3 passes 2 tds

Aussiebrah66
02-03-2013, 01:06 AM
manti te'o 2017 NFL MVP woot woot

rhyfelwr
02-03-2013, 01:34 AM
For a pure defensive player they'd have to be the league leader in tackles, sacks, forced fumbles and have a bunch of fumble and intercept return TD's.

Margzz
02-03-2013, 03:00 AM
Only way I can see any defensive player winning it is if they get 14+ interceptions including a couple returned for touchdowns, or a ridiculous number of sacks (like 30-40)

kethnaab
02-03-2013, 10:17 AM
If Watt broke the sack record, he would have won it.

disagree. You won't find a bigger fan of Watt on these forums than me, but Watt would've needed to get 30 sacks to even have a chance, OR....have an undefeated team and the #1 defense in the NFL.

that's really what it would take.

phillyfreak7
02-03-2013, 10:49 AM
disagree. You won't find a bigger fan of Watt on these forums than me, but Watt would've needed to get 30 sacks to even have a chance, OR....have an undefeated team and the #1 defense in the NFL.

that's really what it would take.People in general put a lot of emphasis on all time records being broken. People would rationalize Watt's performance and worth for MVP by saying he's done what no other player has done before. Trust me, if he broke that sack record, it is as worst an extremely close race between him, Peterson, and Manning.

Remember Lawrence Taylor has won a league MVP award. It is possible, but it will take a very successful team and an all time great defensive performance.

Had Watt broke the sack record last year, he still would have lost to Rodgers though. That 2011 regular season was nearly untouchable.

GooBaaa
02-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Most people don't even know players on defense

STA1011
02-03-2013, 11:32 AM
People in general put a lot of emphasis on all time records being broken. People would rationalize Watt's performance and worth for MVP by saying he's done what no other player has done before. Trust me, if he broke that sack record, it is as worst an extremely close race between him, Peterson, and Manning.

Remember Lawrence Taylor has won a league MVP award. It is possible, but it will take a very successful team and an all time great defensive performance.

Had Watt broke the sack record last year, he still would have lost to Rodgers though. That 2011 regular season was nearly untouchable.

Just stop, if he broke the sack record he would NOT have won or been in a "close" race. Maybe a couple votes but nothing worthwhile.

Strahan didn't even finish in the top 5 when he set the record (Urlacher was 5th with 2 votes)

**the most votes for a defensive player since 2001.... 3 by James Harrison in 2008

kethnaab
02-03-2013, 02:56 PM
People in general put a lot of emphasis on all time records being broken. People would rationalize Watt's performance and worth for MVP by saying he's done what no other player has done before. Trust me, if he broke that sack record, it is as worst an extremely close race between him, Peterson, and Manning.

I think you're ignoring history. There have been tons of seasons that were great. It's only been won twice by a defensive player since the merger, and no one has come particularly close in the last 25 years

TheRejuvenated
02-03-2013, 03:00 PM
i think the problem at least this year was that there were such equally stellar offensive performances (watt roids anyway, just like his butt buddy cushing, so whatever)

when defensive players have great truly MVP caliber years, im curious what offensive players did that year, it's tough if you break a record, but someone breaks a passing record or something

what it would require is nobody on offense doing anything too stellar, and yeah probably either broken records, or just really fantastic numbers all around and perhaps taking a team that had a bad defense and team the year before to the playoffs

meekmilli
02-03-2013, 03:13 PM
If someone broke the INT record (14) and returned multiple kicks for TD's (Hester's record is 5) on special teams I could see it happening. I think Watt/any pass rusher would need to shatter the record with something like 30 sacks.

hesters record is 6 retard.

jross2021
02-03-2013, 03:19 PM
I think if Watt broke the sack record and it was a season with no real stand out... no AP beast, Peyton comeback.

we could see it... cause odds are likely Watt will have a better year in his career because he's so young... break the record, tackle machine, force fumbles and swat like a DB.

but odds are against it. possible but unlikely.
No peyton or ap, and Calvin would have won it. It just isnt going to happen unless someone like Patrick Peterson goes off for 10+ ints and multiple.kick/punt returns.

meekmilli
02-03-2013, 03:23 PM
No peyton or ap, and Calvin would have won it. It just isnt going to happen unless someone like Patrick Peterson goes off for 10+ ints and multiple.kick/punt returns.

Brady wouldve won it over CJ. this isnt fantasy football calvin johnson gets garbage time yards and leads his team to a 4 win season. CJ woulda got offensive player of the year and maybe 1 MVP vote, brady 49

caerus13
02-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Return an INT or fumble for TD every game....still get second.