PDA

View Full Version : Calorie surplus and deficit

KneeGa
02-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Ok, I try to eat 2500 calories daily and from what I have read around here you will not gain if you don't eat above your maintenance and you will lose weight if you eat below it. Then i thought to myself when does this weight loss or gain actually take place??? as soon as the clock goes past 00:00 you suddenly gain or lose weight?? i was think of this cos i stayed up all night and it still felt like the same day but i hadn't eaten enough calories the day before :S

softpounder
02-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Ok, I try to eat 2500 calories daily and from what I have read around here you will not gain if you don't eat above your maintenance and you will lose weight if you eat below it. Then i thought to myself when does this weight loss or gain actually take place??? as soon as the clock goes past 00:00 you suddenly gain or lose weight?? i was think of this cos i stayed up all night and it still felt like the same day but i hadn't eaten enough calories the day before :S

Your body feeds off calories vs calories out throughout the week on a day-to-day basis (24 hours window). This is why meal timing and frequency doesn't matter. For simplicity sake, we set our macros to a day-to-day basis.

If I ate 3000/3200 calories back and forth within a week, my body will look it as an average of 3100 calories every day. So missing one day's macros isn't too bad as long as you don't develop a habit of overeating and undereating too much.

Then again, you'd have to count your macros precisely and have gone through trial and error to see if you gained/lost/maintained weight. All online calculations are really estimations and trying to get as close as your maintenance level (TDEE), so you're just gonna go through trial and error.

cjowns76
02-02-2013, 07:30 PM

Bro, you're over thinking it.

If you miss your calories one day just make up for it over the rest of the week.

For me, if I was bulking with a maintenance of 2700 going for a 500 calorie surplus and I missed my goal on Tuesday.
Monday-3200
Tuesday- 3000 (didn't hit goal)
Wednesday- 3250
Thursday- 3300
Friday- 3250
Saturday- 3200
Sunday- 3200

The phrase "you don't see results overnight", while overused, is completely true.