PDA

View Full Version : Budget

McGriddle
02-01-2013, 08:42 AM
I have a question, and I was wondering if there is anybody who would have some information to help me. I am a college student, I put in work at two jobs, but my budget is extremely tight. A huge set back for me is that I cannot afford supplements and don't have the budget to maintain 5-7 meals a day to get the nutrition that gets suggested for most workouts. I already eat tons of eggs, I only buy meat when I can afford it (beef and chicken), I know I should really pick up the habit of eating tuna. But what are some other things I could do to not stunt my advancement because of my lack of diet? What are the most important of things that I can get on a low budget?
My diet primary consists of:
Eggs,
Ramen,
Pasta,
Rice,
Cottage Cheese

germaine07
02-01-2013, 08:56 AM
A huge set back for me is that I cannot afford supplements and don't have the budget to maintain 5-7 meals a day to get the nutrition that gets suggested for most workouts.

You're in luck because you don't need any supplements and you don't need to eat 5-7 meals a day.

LJocci
02-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Peanut butter

McGriddle
02-01-2013, 09:45 AM
You're in luck because you don't need any supplements and you don't need to eat 5-7 meals a day.

I understand, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I was wondering if anybody has any advice as to foods that I could add/subtract to my diet that would assist me with the resources that I have to work with on my budget.

For example, I added cottage cheese to give myself some slow digesting protein before bed.

To be dead on, I was wondering what food source would be great for my meal that precedes lifting. My main problem I'm that I'm cashing out very quickly. I'm almost dead on certain that its a product of my diet, because I didn't experience this same problem last year and when I lived on campus.

ASTRONOMICAL
02-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Chicken is cheaper than tuna. Eat it. Protein powders go on sale often and can be tracked on slickdeals.net. Carbs are cheap. Fats are cheap.

germaine07
02-01-2013, 10:36 AM
I added cottage cheese to give myself some slow digesting protein before bed.

You don't need a slow digesting protein before bed.

McGriddle
02-02-2013, 09:35 AM
You don't need a slow digesting protein before bed.

I'll be honest, I'm looking for advice to help improve my diet. I read from multiple sources that cottage cheese is good source for you're muscles overnight. It was easy change in that i diet could afford. The other comments are more helpful than yours. I'm looking to fuel myself properly, not trying to wuss out of working hard.

MetilHed
02-02-2013, 09:42 AM
I'll be honest, I'm looking for advice to help improve my diet. I read from multiple sources that cottage cheese is good source for you're muscles overnight. It was easy change in that i diet could afford. The other comments are more helpful than yours. I'm looking to fuel myself properly, not trying to wuss out of working hard.

How is that not helpful ? He told you you don't need to be doing something that you think you need to be doing. If people's muscles shriveled up over night if they didn't have cottage cheese or casein, the vast majority of the population would have zero muscle.

germaine07
02-02-2013, 10:35 AM
How is that not helpful ? He told you you don't need to be doing something that you think you need to be doing. If people's muscles shriveled up over night if they didn't have cottage cheese or casein, the vast majority of the population would have zero muscle.

Makes sense ^

foodandfitness
02-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Is there a sticky that addresses eating on a budget? Either way I see this type of question a lot on this forum.

"I'm poor, what do I eat?"

When you have an issue like this and you want some help, it helps if you can provide more information:

1. What is your $ budget for food?
2. What do you have to prep and cook your food with? Just a microwave or a full kitchen?
3. How many calories do you need per day to reach your bodybuilding goal?

Provide a little more information and we'll better be able to make some suggestions somewhere between "beans and rice" and "steak and lobster" every day.

Buff82yrOldMan
02-02-2013, 10:54 AM
i eat bread

WonderPug
02-02-2013, 10:56 AM
I read from multiple sources that cottage cheese is good source for you're muscles overnight.I read from multiple sources that there are UFOs, but that does not make it so.

Anyway, if you're waking up an midnight, 2am, 4am and 6am to have whey protein shakes, BCAA's and glutamine supplements, I really don't know why you would need casein before bed too.

Robb817
02-02-2013, 12:10 PM
strong troll thread

justin0202
02-02-2013, 12:55 PM
you need foods that hit your macros and calorie intake. Peanut butter by the way is expensive hes on a budget. Look at things that go on sale such as eye of round roasts, chicken, ground beef and tilapia. WATCH your tuna intake do not consume more then 6-12 ounces of tuna per week due to high mercury content. For your fats go to costco or somewhere they sell things in bulk so you can go buy almonds/walnuts and other nuts for your fats. Milk and cheese is also good for fats however cheese does get $$. Olive oil is cheap so put that on your broccoli or if you can stomach it just take it as is. Once you meet your minimum of protein and fats then fill the rest of calories with carbs such as rice and pasta. track your calories and macros on myfitnesspal.com

McGriddle
02-02-2013, 01:23 PM
That one is very helpful thank you!

To address some of the earlier comments, I choose the cottage cheese because it was one of the suggestions on muscle and fitness magazine was my primary source on that thought. this isn't my first rodeo and I understand that doing certain things in a diet are not of "necessity" status. But that I'd just one example of how I try to help supplement my body through my food intake.

Typically I have around a $30 budget per week for food. Often times my day, regarding food, goes like this:
Wake up, bring 4 boiled eggs to work, eat pasta or a sandwich for lunch, Mexican rice (long grain white rice) for dinner- one cup cooked, and some cottage cheese before bed.