PDA

View Full Version : is there ever such a thing as too many protein shakes?

Farmzey
01-31-2013, 06:31 PM
hey i've been working out about 3-4 times a week for the past year or so and have gotten great results (down to about 14% body fat 190 pounds down from around 25% at 230 pounds).

Anyway I started taking things more seriosly as progress has slowed and i'm trying to stay determined and reach my goals, i currently try and get about 150-170 grams of protein in a day but a problem is that i'm a student so buying lean meats or greek yogurt isn't always going to happen so i find myself consuming about 2-3 shakes a day (each with 2 servings whey so ~ 50 g protein) because a shake only costs about 1.20$ for 2 servings where as lean meats can be 4-5$ a serving. is there any way this would be unhealthy or is that just a piece of "bro science" that says that having more than X amount of supplements a day causes X Y and Z

Thanks for any tips in advance!

Wiiownz16
01-31-2013, 06:39 PM
hey i've been working out about 3-4 times a week for the past year or so and have gotten great results (down to about 14% body fat 190 pounds down from around 25% at 230 pounds).

Anyway I started taking things more seriosly as progress has slowed and i'm trying to stay determined and reach my goals, i currently try and get about 150-170 grams of protein in a day but a problem is that i'm a student so buying lean meats or greek yogurt isn't always going to happen so i find myself consuming about 2-3 shakes a day (each with 2 servings whey so ~ 50 g protein) because a shake only costs about 1.20$ for 2 servings where as lean meats can be 4-5$ a serving. is there any way this would be unhealthy or is that just a piece of "bro science" that says that having more than X amount of supplements a day causes X Y and Z

Thanks for any tips in advance!

All broscience man. Protein is just protein. Don't worry about it. you could drink 4 shakes a day lol.

softpounder
01-31-2013, 06:39 PM
It doesn't matter if you take too much protein powder really. But definitely, it's more recommended to eat whole food because of satiety and other factors.

I personally take three a day because of my super asian-pro family. Rice all day and veggies, barely any meat.

I take a casein in the morning to feel full, a hydrolyzed whey during work (other form of whey makes me go to the washroom and I can't be missing time at work), and I take another mixed-protein source powder at night (egg/casein/whey protein mix).

V V V

ATblCwv_lXU

^ ^ ^

Ahmed81
01-31-2013, 06:41 PM
eat whole food because of satiety and other factors.

...like micro nutrients

Misctake7
01-31-2013, 06:42 PM
I'd say it's only too many protein shakes when you go over your daily calorie intake.

softpounder
01-31-2013, 06:48 PM
...like micro nutrients

I was gonna say that, but no disrespect to OP, he may not understand what 'micros' are if he's asking 'is there anything such as too much protein powder shakes?'.

Haha.

BigVic92
01-31-2013, 08:46 PM
...like micro nutrients

How much will a multivitamin help out with that?

findz
01-31-2013, 08:51 PM
How much will a multivitamin help out with that?

A ton... OP, nothing wrong with 4 protein shakes a day. I have one in the AM and one post workout... not 4 but if you feel that's the best way to get your protein macros, go right ahead.

Ben6485
01-31-2013, 10:13 PM
I drink a protein drink in the morning, post workout, and when I'm working evening hours I'll have one. I drink 3 or 4 on workout days. Just depends on how my calorie intake looks for the day

benz5521
01-31-2013, 10:32 PM
I was gonna say that, but no disrespect to OP, he may not understand what 'micros' are if he's asking 'is there anything such as too much protein powder shakes?'.

Haha.

Well then you should know that whey has been proven to give a fuller feeling compared to casein. So you may want to switch to whey in the morning.

psychodiver9
02-01-2013, 02:50 AM
By definition it is possible to have "too much" of anything. Even water can be toxic. Getting almost all of your protein from whey is not ideal

AlwaysTryin
02-01-2013, 03:47 AM
...like micro nutrients

You don't think whey has lots of micros?

BroFoods
02-01-2013, 04:03 AM
You don't think whey has lots of micros?

Whey is like a multi. ..