PDA

View Full Version : Post workout carbs dilema

ljones85
01-25-2013, 03:05 AM
Hi,

I am new to the site so apologies of this has already been covered but I couldn't find specific to my question.

OK, so I get taht post workout (weights) carbs are important even when cutting, that seems to be a consistent view of many members and authors.

I also hear the two differing views that carbs in the evening can be consumed or avoided depending on who you speak to. I think I am quite sensitive to carbs so am trying to avoid them 3/4 hours before bed which is about 10.30.

The dilema is that I do my weight training sessions 7pm-8pm, and then I eat at 8pm. So if I want to take post workout carbs I will have eaten 2 hours before bed. I can't change my workout time as I have a job with lots of travel and a 1 year old baby.

The question then is would you stick to taking carbs or drop them after my weights workout? I am interested in fat loss as I'm trying to get from 14% BF to 10%

Thanks

AlwaysTryin
01-25-2013, 03:09 AM
Post workout carbs aren't needed, so not sure why you think they are

You can eat carbs at night too

BDeblo
01-25-2013, 03:18 AM
Eat what you want, when you want, how you want (assuming your daily macros and nutrients are in check)
The individual timing of meals is not nearly as important as you're making it out to be. don't drive yourself mad trying to make your schedule fit your meals. make your meals for your schedule

ljones85
01-25-2013, 03:21 AM
My understanding is that you need to carbs (high Gi) to replace the energy lost in the workout and to increase
amino acid uptake, thus reducing catabolism?

AlwaysTryin
01-25-2013, 03:22 AM
My understanding is that you need to carbs (high Gi) to replace the energy lost in the workout and to increase
amino acid uptake, thus reducing catabolism?

Nope

ljones85
01-25-2013, 03:23 AM
Eat what you want, when you want, how you want (assuming your daily macros and nutrients are in check)
The individual timing of meals is not nearly as important as you're making it out to be. don't drive yourself mad trying to make your schedule fit your meals. make your meals for your schedule

I am still playing with my macros but at the moment they are:

carbs - 120g
protein 220g
Fat - 80g

500 deficit per day

2zzgtte
01-25-2013, 03:26 AM
I take a protein shake (isolate) right after I work out on a day that it fits my fasting Window and then I go to bed.

If it doesn't fit my fasting windows, get this... I have nothing for post workout meal... Crazy huh?

Inb4 cortisol
Inb4 growth hormone

necon76
01-25-2013, 03:29 AM
You know why all these authors disagree on when to eat carbs? Because they're all full of sh!t.

Eat them whenever makes you perform/feel the best. Anything else is mental masturbation.

CraigyH
01-25-2013, 03:40 AM
You know why all these authors disagree on when to eat carbs? Because they're all full of sh!t.

Eat them whenever makes you perform/feel the best. Anything else is mental masturbation.

tuchee

AJL1
01-25-2013, 03:52 AM
I really enjoy carbs before bed. During cutting I usually get really hungry tonight, and smashing down a heap of milk and sugary cereal (that fit my macros) before bed leaves me feeling full and content. It is also fun to explain to people how this is 'dieting'.

rand18m
01-25-2013, 04:18 AM
Hi,

I am new to the site so apologies of this has already been covered but I couldn't find specific to my question.

OK, so I get taht post workout (weights) carbs are important even when cutting, that seems to be a consistent view of many members and authors.

I also hear the two differing views that carbs in the evening can be consumed or avoided depending on who you speak to. I think I am quite sensitive to carbs so am trying to avoid them 3/4 hours before bed which is about 10.30.

The dilema is that I do my weight training sessions 7pm-8pm, and then I eat at 8pm. So if I want to take post workout carbs I will have eaten 2 hours before bed. I can't change my workout time as I have a job with lots of travel and a 1 year old baby.

The question then is would you stick to taking carbs or drop them after my weights workout? I am interested in fat loss as I'm trying to get from 14% BF to 10%

Thanks

Op no offense but you have been spending too much time reading magazine articles.

The first thing you need to do is increase your knowledge of the basics, you can do that with this link.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Post back with your TEE, macro and caloric targets and we can go from there. This is especially important if you want to get to 10% or lower.

And as far as carbohydrate after training, that is something to be considered if you are training for high endurance with sessions lasting over an hour and closer to 1-1/2 hours. As you learn more you will know why the "carbs at night" theory is simply silly for the most part.

ljones85
01-25-2013, 05:08 AM
I have gained most of knowledge from LeanBodyConsulting, Builtlean and here

Cheers guys thanks for your posts, I will have a read of that article.