PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Microwave Foods

damitssam
01-23-2013, 10:00 PM
So I am pretty busy and just lazy. I hate cleaning and cooking, and for the past couple months pretty much have the same diet plan:

Tysons Grilled Diced Chicken - Pre Cooked
Green Giant Steamers (veggies, no pasta)

Topped with Tabasco sauce and salt and pepper.

Combined we are talking 400 cals a meal. With almost neglible carbs and fat.

Literally my whole freezer is stuffed with those two. Recently been diversifying since I realized I was starving myself (1000 cal deficits).

Skippys Natural Peanut Butter w / a slice of bread pre workout and late night snack. If I'm still hungry I go for some packaged Tuna (those pouches).

Is there any other healthy microwavable items? Been scouring for some microwave fish / steak but cant find my old favorite Tyson precooked steaks anymore :(

Scars6
01-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Not sure how "healthy" any microwavable dish is, but I enjoy hungry man. Serves a decent amount of food and comes with a lot of protein. You can also try eating any canned food, that might be a little more healthy than anything frozen that may come with loads of preservatives.

Good luck

BookMonkey
01-24-2013, 02:19 AM
I think you don't understand the idea of the microwave.

To me, it is a means to reheat foods, not cook bought foods. We aren't living in the mid-1900s anymore...

The two quick exceptions would be bacon and eggs. I know it is blasphemy but when you have minutes, you do what you can.

And to OP (damitssam): get over it. If you don't like cooking and cleaning after yourself, tough ****. There is not easy way about this unless you put the effort. Secondary, it seems that you've been here for a couple years now and still don't seem to know anything. You might want to read the stickies. I highly recommend them.

mariasemuel
01-24-2013, 02:24 AM
Cooking food in the microwave is easy, healthy, environmentally-friendly and delicious! Here’s why microwave cooking is:

Oatmeal: Oatmeal is my favorite breakfast food. Quick cooking oats, combined with low fat milk and chopped fruit, cooked for 4 minutes in the microwave make for a delicious morning! Try my Fall Morning Oatmeal recipe.

Spinach: This nutrient-packed super food cooks in the microwave in less than 1 minute! Try this 20 second recipe or my new favorite: top spinach with a little peanut vinaigrette (like the kind at Trader Joe’s shown here) and sprinkle with peanuts. Microwave for 30 seconds. Yum!

Fruit “Cobbler:” This is one of my favorite heart-healthy desserts! Combine fresh or frozen bite-sized fruit pieces in a microwave-safe bowl (banana slices, apple chunks, blueberries, strawberry slices, peach slices, etc.). Microwave on high until fruit is hot and soft. Top with granola and fat free whipped cream.

damitssam
01-24-2013, 12:14 PM
I think you don't understand the idea of the microwave.

To me, it is a means to reheat foods, not cook bought foods. We aren't living in the mid-1900s anymore...

The two quick exceptions would be bacon and eggs. I know it is blasphemy but when you have minutes, you do what you can.

And to OP (damitssam): get over it. If you don't like cooking and cleaning after yourself, tough ****. There is not easy way about this unless you put the effort. Secondary, it seems that you've been here for a couple years now and still don't seem to know anything. You might want to read the stickies. I highly recommend them.

You're saying theres no easy way to eat healthy? Come on now, since when did you HAVE to cook and clean to have a healthy lifestyle. I dont have the time nor patience to do such a thing. If there's science behind your reason showing that frozen, pre-cooked food (veggies / chicken) is bad for you compared to "cooking it fresh", than I'll digress. And I havent logged in a long time.

justin0202
01-24-2013, 12:44 PM
So I am pretty busy and just lazy. I hate cleaning and cooking, and for the past couple months pretty much have the same diet plan:

Literally my whole freezer is stuffed with those two. Recently been diversifying since I realized I was starving myself (1000 cal deficits).

Skippys Natural Peanut Butter w / a slice of bread pre workout and late night snack. If I'm still hungry I go for some packaged Tuna (those pouches).

Is there any other healthy microwavable items? Been scouring for some microwave fish / steak but cant find my old favorite Tyson precooked steaks anymore :(

heres a tip for you...

Instead of cooking real chicken not pre cooked crap go and cook 4 days worth of chicken along with 4 days of steak. That alone will give you a lunch and a dinner... along wtih that for carbs pre cook yams, potatoes or the easiest and you can use a microwave for this one.. rice! You can cook 4 days worth of them as well. Making it so every 4 days you cook its not that bad... then you going to get the macros in as well as eating better food for you. Continue with your green giant if youd like, or go buy some "greens" its a powder that you drink and it will give you the micros you need. Also you can and should take a multi vitamin for micros. (Along with omega 3/fish oils). Tuna make sure you done consume more then 6-12 ounces a week man. You can also cook up fish that will last you 4 days! So now you have chicken steak and fish you can pre cook (just choose 2 so first cook do chicken and steak for your next cook do a salmon and chicken) You can also do this with turkey breasts! for your fats stick to the all natural peanut butter and try snacking on almonds or walnuts. As for breakfast get instant oatmeal! all you have to do is boil water and your good to go. Egg whites and eggs are good breakfast and if you really wanted to you can nuke them as well but I would rather cook them in the morning. So typically you are cooking every 4 days not including your eggs in the morning.

cumminslifter
01-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Not sure how "healthy" any microwavable dish is, but I enjoy hungry man. Serves a decent amount of food and comes with a lot of protein. You can also try eating any canned food, that might be a little more healthy than anything frozen that may come with loads of preservatives.

Good lucki would definatly stay away from hungry man meals. have you seen the transfat amount in there

Jorge18
01-24-2013, 12:55 PM

No offense man, but you're 24 years old. You need to learn how to cook. It's really not that difficult and doesn't take a long time.

Making scrambled eggs and Canadian bacon will take you around 5 minutes from start to finish.

CTBeachGuy
01-24-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm on a cut diet 50%F/40%P/10%C. My breakfast (DONE IN A MICROWAVE) several days a weeks is as follows:

3 extra large eggs
1/3 cup frozen broccoli
2 oz diced chicken breast
1 oz diced onion
2oz diced tomato
About 1.5 oz Half & Half mixed in

I've got a low power nuke - only 1100W - so I nuke about 45 secs. - stir with a fork - remix.
Takes about 4 - 5 intervals of 45 seconds. More powerful nuke would take less time. At the end I
top with 2 pieces of sliced American cheese.

I'm getting about: 650 calories 40G Fat, 15G Carb, 46G Protein.

Can't help with the dishes pal - you're gonna have to man up on that one by yourself !!

Good Luck

ironwill2008
01-24-2013, 02:08 PM

Try some microwave popcorn. That shouldn't be too much of a drag on your busy schedule or your energy level.