PDA

View Full Version : Starting mass, diet review.

SANIsAFav
01-23-2013, 08:07 AM
Hey guys, started mass a couple days back, bodyweight 77.6 height: 183 cm.
counted my calorie needs results were 2210 cals I added 300 so id need an average of 2510 to gain mass, this is my meal plan:
Chicken breast (cooked) 100grams
Peanut butter 40grams
Cheese spread 5%fat 250grams
Oats (raw) 100grams
Milk 3%fat 500ml
Pasta (cooked) 400grams
Tuna in brine 70grams
Cheese (yellow slices) 9%fat 90grams
Mixed wheat bread 6 slices
Boiled egg (1 M-L sized)

Cals 2597
Protein 180.5
Carbs 306.5
Fats 70.3.
Any tips for improvement or such? When I stop gaining body weight, an progressing with the weights, I'll just add another 300 calories.

SANIsAFav
01-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Opinions please :)

justin0202
01-23-2013, 09:02 AM
up fats to around 85 and protein to 200 and I would go with 250 to carbs = 2565cals

justin0202
01-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Tuna in brine 70grams

Do not eat tuna everyday maybe 6-12 ounces a week is a safe bet. Tuna contains high mercury content and to much of it can cause mercury poison. If you still want fish then try salmon and talapia

SANIsAFav
01-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Tuna in brine 70grams

Do not eat tuna everyday maybe 6-12 ounces a week is a safe bet. Tuna contains high mercury content and to much of it can cause mercury poison. If you still want fish then try salmon and talapia
In my calculation, your body needs 1gr of fat for each kg of body weight meaning I'd need 77... Why raise to 85? What can substitute tuna? (High protein low carbs n fat?)

justin0202
01-23-2013, 09:20 AM
In my calculation, your body needs 1gr of fat for each kg of body weight meaning I'd need 77... Why raise to 85? What can substitute tuna? (High protein low carbs n fat?)

if you are going to ask for help and you get it dont start questioning me like this and i answered your tuna question salmon and talapia

SANIsAFav
01-23-2013, 09:26 AM
if you are going to ask for help and you get it dont start questioning me like this and i answered your tuna question salmon and talapia
Don't take me wrong I'm not questioning you, I just want to know the reason to enlarge my knowledge...

justin0202
01-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Don't take me wrong I'm not questioning you, I just want to know the reason to enlarge my knowledge...

read calculating macros from emmas post. I used your weight 171lbs did 1.25 x body weight and fat I did 171 x .5 rest went to carbs

SANIsAFav
01-23-2013, 09:34 AM
read calculating macros from emmas post. I used your weight 171lbs did 1.25 x body weight and fat I did 171 x .5 rest went to carbs
I'm not over 18, it's not accurate as Emma wrote, would you mind copy pasting the paragraph?
Thanks for the help

AlwaysTryin
01-23-2013, 09:41 AM

He doesn't have to have 0.5g per lb but

MetilHed
01-23-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm not over 18, it's not accurate as Emma wrote, would you mind copy pasting the paragraph?
Thanks for the help

Age would have been a useful bit of info to provide in the OP.
The sticky in question specifically states that those #'s shouldn't be used for teens. I certainly don't know for sure how to calculate it for growing teens, but . . .
If anything, if you're not 18 I would think you'd be better off going HIGHER than the recommended minimums, as you are full of hormones and still growing.

Originally Posted by justin0202

No need for the "I'm helping you so don't you dare question me" attitude. Spewing out numbers with no explanations doesn't help him see where he went wrong in his assessment, or give him any reason to think yours would be any better.

MetilHed
01-23-2013, 09:48 AM

Or 1.25 :)

justin0202
01-23-2013, 09:49 AM

explain?

justin0202
01-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Age would have been a useful bit of info to provide in the OP.
The sticky in question specifically states that those #'s shouldn't be used for teens. I certainly don't know for sure how to calculate it for growing teens, but . . .
If anything, if you're not 18 I would think you'd be better off going HIGHER than the recommended minimums, as you are full of hormones and still growing.

Originally Posted by justin0202

No need for the "I'm helping you so don't you dare question me" attitude. Spewing out numbers with no explanations doesn't help him see where he went wrong in his assessment, or give him any reason to think yours would be any better.

If I knew his age I wouldnt have said that stuff dude. Help him out then

SANIsAFav
01-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Or 1.25 :)
Well, what do you think about my diet, any formula I can go by...?
My bad.. I'm 17 btw :)

MetilHed
01-23-2013, 09:59 AM
If I knew his age I wouldnt have said that stuff dude. Help him out then

I was actually referring to the stuff you posted before we knew his age, with regards to the comment I bolded above. The "Don't start questioning me" attitude

Also as stated once I learned his age, I don't know the requirements for teens, as stated above.

OP: general guidelines for people above 18 (or maybe 21 ? IDK) is 1g protein/lb and .45g fat/lb. Those are minimums and you can go higher if you wish.

As far as the foods you've chosen, if you like those foods then that's fine, with the exception of the tuna (as stated above by Justin).

SANIsAFav
01-23-2013, 10:07 AM
I was actually referring to the stuff you posted before we knew his age, with regards to the comment I bolded above. The "Don't start questioning me" attitude

Also as stated once I learned his age, I don't know the requirements for teens, as stated above.

OP: general guidelines for people above 18 (or maybe 21 ? IDK) is 1g protein/lb and .45g fat/lb. Those are minimums and you can go higher if you wish.

As far as the foods you've chosen, if you like those foods then that's fine, with the exception of the tuna (as stated above by Justin).
I'd like to add fats like almonds and avocados n such... And fruits and veggies... But that totally ruins all te calculation and I don't get enough protein from meat n milk n so on... And carbs get all messed up what can I do

MetilHed
01-23-2013, 10:10 AM
I'd like to add fats like almonds and avocados n such... And fruits and veggies... But that totally ruins all te calculation and I don't get enough protein from meat n milk n so on... And carbs get all messed up what can I do

Meet fat and protein MINIMUMS the fill the rest of cals with a mix of what you prefer carbs, fat, protein (probably mostly carbs, for energy, but how much depends on you). Fruit and veg are mostly carbs, so you could remove a little pasta or bread or whatever.

justin0202
01-23-2013, 10:13 AM

eat your broccoli up it is great for your micros. You need those micros as well bro. Use myfitnesspal.com that will help you out a lot

justin0202
01-23-2013, 10:14 AM

as was I. If i knew he couldnt use emmas post I would not have talked like that. It is annoying when someone is old enough and they do not read the stickies thats why I said that. Now knowing his age I do take back my comment.

AlwaysTryin
01-23-2013, 10:16 AM
explain?

It's never stated 0.5g/lb

0.45g??

Why is everyone constantly inflating the figure

2. Fats: Generally speaking, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body NEEDS fat to maintain health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally - any form of high intensity training will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which controls free radical damage & inflammation. General guides:
Average or low bodyfat: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.40 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ Kg LEAN weight [between 0.4 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
Low calorie dieting - you can decrease further, but as a minimum, I would not suggest LESS than about 0.30g/ pound.

justin0202
01-23-2013, 10:26 AM
It's never stated 0.5g/lb

0.45g??

I just used .5 bro you can use .4-1g

before I new he was younger then 18 he asked for help so I used .5 to give numbers for him. However, someone who is 18 plus if they red the sticky they would no .4-1 is what you can use. I use .6 for myself.

MetilHed
01-23-2013, 10:28 AM
0.45g??

You are correct sir. I see .45 around here so much that I didn't even think about it.

SANIsAFav
01-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Meet fat and protein MINIMUMS the fill the rest of cals with a mix of what you prefer carbs, fat, protein (probably mostly carbs, for energy, but how much depends on you). Fruit and veg are mostly carbs, so you could remove a little pasta or bread or whatever.
Re calculated added an apple and a banana went down to 300 grams of pasta, added nuts and avocado took out the peanut butter... Got to cals: 2679 protein 177.1 fats 77.8 carbs 313.5 what do you say

AlwaysTryin
01-23-2013, 10:36 AM
I just used .5 bro you can use .4-1g

before I new he was younger then 18 he asked for help so I used .5 to give numbers for him. However, someone who is 18 plus if they red the sticky they would no .4-1 is what you can use. I use .6 for myself.

My confusion is why you told him to increase fats when his diet was sufficient

justin0202
01-23-2013, 11:00 AM
My confusion is why you told him to increase fats when his diet was sufficient

Personal preference instead of using .4 i used .5 it doenst matter as long as its .4-1 but hes under 18 so I dont even no what everything is for that. chill