PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think should win NFL Coach of the Year?

TranceOfPeace
01-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Has to be either one of the Harbaugh brothers. Both did something that was highly criticized by everyone and both of them paid off. John with firing his OC with a couple weeks in the regular season left and Jim with starting Kaepernick over the league leader in QB rating in Smith.

And I'm sure all of the guys with AP votes all criticized those guys, so they better be voting for them.

Hard to vote for Arians since he didn't coach all year even though he did an amazing job. And Shanahan did a solid job.

Dave P
01-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Has to be either Jim Harbaugh or Pete Carroll.

Two ballsiest moves this season and both paid off.

Arians, like you said, was a interim coach and didn't coach the whole season.

TranceOfPeace
01-18-2013, 07:59 AM

Oh yeah, Pete did make a ballsy move, no doubt about it.

I think you forgot to factor in the fact that he's a phaggot, though.

iamgenus
01-18-2013, 08:04 AM
I think Pussy Pete wins just cuz Harbaugh won last year and people can point to the decline in wins as to why he doesnt' deserve it again. I think the voting takes place before the playoffs are over so even if the niners were to move on to the SB and win it won't matte.r

Loswaldo
01-18-2013, 08:05 AM
Jeff Fisher

FourKicks
01-18-2013, 08:07 AM
BB since he is the GOAT of coaches

cchar042
01-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Pete Carroll or whoever coached the Colts

TooLateForRoses
01-18-2013, 08:12 AM
I like how the coach who currently has the best record in the nfl this season isnt even on the list

NorrinRadd12
01-18-2013, 08:18 AM
Pagano

MCrow
01-18-2013, 08:18 AM
Have to mention Frazier. Not sure he should win but 3-13 to 10-6 and the playoffs with basically the same team from last year.

cchar042
01-18-2013, 08:19 AM
I like how the coach who currently has the best record in the nfl this season isnt even on the list

Nice cupcake schedule

TooLateForRoses
01-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Nice cupcake schedule

Ended the seahawks hot streak on sunday. the guys behind pete carroll, who is on this list. Also won every other "tough matchup" this season, including the broncos, who prior to last sunday were #1 on power rankings for like 8 weeks straight

Sjas
01-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Bruce Arians/Pagano

cchar042
01-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Ended the seahawks hot streak on sunday. the guys behind pete carroll, who is on this list. Also won every other "tough matchup" this season, including the broncos, who prior to last sunday were #1 on power rankings for like 8 weeks straight

You beat the Broncos and Redskins, good job.

Seahawks was postseason, so that win doesn't matter.

TooLateForRoses
01-18-2013, 08:26 AM
You beat the Broncos and Redskins, good job.

Seahawks was postseason, so that win doesn't matter.

LOL. before sunday, everyones beef with ryan/smith was that they couldnt win postseason. now that they beat the hottest team in the nfc, postseason wins dont matter.

cchar042
01-18-2013, 08:27 AM
LOL. before sunday, everyones beef with ryan/smith was that they couldnt win postseason. now that they beat the hottest team in the nfc, postseason wins dont matter.

For REGULAR SEASON awards, like MVP, OPotY, DPotY, CotY? No, postseason games don't matter.

For a player/coach's legacy, postseason games DO matter.

Dave P
01-18-2013, 08:28 AM

They don't matter because voting is usually only based on the regular season.

Wasn't aware that they counted playoffs for HC's

TranceOfPeace
01-18-2013, 08:28 AM

Coach of the Year is for regular season, has nothing to do with postseason.

And I didn't put Smith on there because he's not going to win it, nor does he deserve to.

SkinnyBeast24
01-18-2013, 08:29 AM

Arians, like you said, was a interim coach and didn't coach the whole season.

http://i45.tinypic.com/30s943k.jpg

Dave P
01-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Nice

SkinnyBeast24
01-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Nice

lol :)

no creep/10. Was bored in a conference meeting yesterday and was getting so excite for the games this weekend and than started drawing and came out with San Fran DAVE P!

TooLateForRoses
01-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Coach of the Year is for regular season, has nothing to do with postseason.

And I didn't put Smith on there because he's not going to win it, nor does he deserve to.
not going to win it, probably. doesnt deserve to? not sheriff srs. Got number 1 seed. Not sure how Mike "The doctor doesn't know anything" Shanahan "deserves it" more than Mike "Number One Seed" Smith.

monsterBEN
01-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Kyle Shanahan

Dave P
01-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Poll is racist btw

No black candidates?

Hoop_Dreams
01-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Peyton Manning

phillyfreak7
01-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Pete Carroll

Haste007
01-18-2013, 09:29 AM
For non-playoff teams:

Jeff Fisher.

He really put a new confidence in the Rams and a new edge to the defense.

bbacn123
01-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Mike Smith obviously. F*cking nothing but hating phaggots ITT once again.

So much Falcon Fail from the "experts":

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story/0ap1000000055270/article/2012-nfl-predictions-super-bowl-xlvii-winner-mvp-more

Dave P
01-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Mike Smith obviously. F*cking nothing but hating phaggots ITT once again.

Is taking a 10-6 team and making it 13-3 again really that amazing of an accomplishment though?

It obviously means you're a good coach but to be coach of the year you have to do something that really is a franchise changer.

3lixer
01-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Leslie Frazier

Vikings going to playoffs with Christian Ponder at QB and Percy Harvin on IR.

I know AD makes coaching easier but he took a 3-13 team who had a healthy Peterson on it until the last game of the season last year to 10-6.

http://sports-kings.com/downanddistance/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/leslie-frazier-hired-as-vikes-coach.jpg

bbacn123
01-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Is taking a 10-6 team and making it 13-3 again really that amazing of an accomplishment though?

It obviously means you're a good coach but to be coach of the year you have to do something that really is a franchise changer.

True, but the way we won that division should be noted. Homefield throughout the playoffs. It was a runaway from the beginning. Hell two of our losses came pretty close to the end of the season when we'd already done all the damage.

From start to finish I think the way we took care of everything and the way we ran away and never looked back. No one expected anything close to that. Yes we were a good team before, I get your point, but not like this.

MCrow
01-18-2013, 09:50 AM
True, but the way we won that division should be noted. Homefield throughout the playoffs. It was a runaway from the beginning. Hell two of our losses came pretty close to the end of the season when we'd already done all the damage.

From start to finish I think the way we took care of everything and the way we ran away and never looked back. No one expected anything close to that. Yes we were a good team before, I get your point, but not like this.

Not sure there's much Smith could do this year to win a COY, not even a SB would probably do it.

Miked1978
01-18-2013, 09:53 AM
I think you can put Smith on there. Has the best record in the NFL and if they can pull the upset this weekend, they better not, then i think you have to have him as a final candidate. People tend to discount the Falcons bc they don't blow people out but when it's all said and done, it's not how you win its rather you win or not.

My finalists:
Jim Harbaugh - kinda a homer pick but he did have the balls to make the change at QB and continue to win.
Pete Carrol - Despite him being on the phaggy time he did show that the Hawks can win on the road and they did much better than anyone expected.
Bruce Arians - Doubt he gets it bc he didn't coach a full season but dude did an outstanding job. Nobody thought the Colts were a playoff team in August
Mike Smith - See initial post above.

bbacn123
01-18-2013, 09:55 AM
And honestly I don't think our schedule was as bad as everyone wants to point to it.

Look at our division. Everyone else finished 7-9. Granted none of them are above .500 and I understand that, but all are good enough to take us down. None of those 3 are cupcakes, and really with all 3 of our losses coming to them it really shows that IMO.

Then we beat the best team in the AFC, Broncos, we handled the NFC East top to bottom. The Redskins, Giants, and Cowboys were all very good teams this year. I know 2 of them missed the playoffs but they were right there at the end so it's not like they missed by much.

Pete Carroll on the other hand was gifted a win against Green Bay. So already we can say the Seahawks are 10-6 at best. That was one of the worst calls in sports I think we can all agree, but that's not the point. Even with that Pete Carroll has a tremendous argument as well though.

So to me it's really between Mike Smith and Pete Carroll. I wouldn't be upset with either getting it. I think both are valid and deserving.

SB101010
01-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Pete Carrol - Despite him being on the phaggy time he did show that the Hawks can win on the road and they did much better than anyone expected.

wat

bbacn123
01-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Pete vs. Mike

GB win shouldn't have occurred, take that one off the board for Pete

Pete beat New England, Mike beat Denver. Pretty equal wins

Both beat Dallas

Pete beat Minnesota, Mike beat Redskins. Pretty equal wins

Pete beat Chicago, Mike beat NYG. Again pretty equal to me.

Then you have Pete beating SF. And while there's nothing on Mike's resume that compares to that, let's not ignore losses completely here.

Pete lost to Arizona, Mike did not

Pete lost to Detroit, Mike did not

So I really think at the end of the day you can make a case for both of them. How many wins was Mike really projected to get? Let's say 10. So he won 3 more than projected. How many wins was Pete projected to get? I don't really know what the outlook for Seattle was, but 7 sounds in range to me. Seeing as the GB win wasn't really a win, Pete too earned above 3 more wins than projected.

This is all rough estimates of course, but to say Pete did that much more than Mike is wildly inaccurate. Which one deserves it...seems closer to a coin flip than people want to give Mike credit for.

Dave P
01-18-2013, 10:05 AM
You're forgetting that Pete benched Matt Flynn who they gave a big contract to, in favor of a undersized Rookie who went 75th in the draft.

Thats the biggest factor for Pete.