PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to gain muscle (or get cut) while losing fat?

HelpxMe
01-16-2013, 07:57 AM
yes i know that you need more calories for bulking, but im at 27% bf and weigh 192 lbs, and i want to cut it down to maybe 11% and my weight to 170-180.
on my calorie counter, it said based on my daily routine, my daily activity (45 mins of moderate cardio included), i would need to eat 2300 calories to maintain my weight.
currently im eating 1800 calories a day, while hitting the gym aggressively.

a quick sample of my workout routine (will change in due time):
Mon- Biceps/Back
Tues- Triceps/Chest
Wed- Shoulder/Legs
Thurs- Biceps/back
Fri- Triceps/Chest
Sat- Shoulders/Legs or rest
Sun- Rest

so obviously i know that i am going to lose weight in due time, however by working out my body parts, will i also be getting cut?
pls help so i can begin the right 6 month cycle (whether to be cut or bulk) or whether i need to intake more calories?

csb5731
01-16-2013, 08:27 AM
"Getting cut" is entirely about losing fat unless you are very, very undeveloped. But yes, at your body fat, I suspect you can gain some muscle while leaning out, at least for a while.

I do think that if you current %BF is remotely correct, though, you are going to have to diet down substantially lower than 170 lbs to get to ~11% BF.

If you are really 5'8" 192 lbs 27% body fat, bulking should be absolutely off of the table.

HelpxMe
01-16-2013, 08:35 AM
"Getting cut" is entirely about losing fat unless you are very, very undeveloped. But yes, at your body fat, I suspect you can gain some muscle while leaning out, at least for a while.

I do think that if you current %BF is remotely correct, though, you are going to have to diet down substantially lower than 170 lbs to get to ~11% BF.

If you are really 5'8" 192 lbs 27% body fat, bulking should be absolutely off of the table.

thanks man, that really helped. will tweak workout routine.

PSSR
01-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Are you sure 1800 is what you need? Sounds really low working out 6 dsays a week with cardio

HelpxMe
01-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Are you sure 1800 is what you need? Sounds really low working out 6 dsays a week with cardio

it says i need 2300 calories to maintain my weight (with cardio included).

but currently im intaking 1800.. i can limit my cardio to 3x a week. if its not the right way to do it..thats not an issue. in fact i would welcome it lol its a hassle..
i do it because i think that my running, you not only enhance your endurance, but fat loss too..
if im wrong, please let me know..

is it just calories that helps fat loss?

Neezaa
01-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Bro, how are you getting 2300? That's how much I'm trying to eat right now.

Edit: STRONG username to join date to post content ratio.

matman1813
01-16-2013, 08:52 AM
2300 sounds more like a BMR than TDEE. How did you calculate that?

HelpxMe
01-16-2013, 08:58 AM

brb ill get the website.

HelpxMe
01-16-2013, 09:01 AM
TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure. There is a great wrbsite that is as precise as you will find.
Fill in the times honestly for a total of 24 hours. It will give you both your base metabolic rate (expenditure if you are in a coma) and your functional calorie expenditure. The higher number is what you have to eat to stay as you are. I would shoot for a deficit of 500-750 calories/day. Keep in mind that burning calories and not eating the same amount will have the same effect. It is a lot easier to not eat 500 extra calories than it is to burn 500 extra calories. Feel free to hit me with any questions. Losing weight and gaining weight are 80% diet and 20% exercise.
----------
awesome awesome. thanks bro. yeah it said for me to maintain my weight, i gotta intake 2300 calories, currently on my diet well the past 5 days lol, ive been intaking 1500-1800 calories, while running cardio (burning roughly 450 calories), while the easing into the workout routine.

--------------
That is too much of a deficit. After a week of that you are going to start losing muscle rapidly. Your calorie numbers are ok but you shouldnt be doing that cardio. That puts your net calorie total way too low.

HelpxMe
01-16-2013, 09:02 AM

hmm not able to post links cos i need at least 50 posts..
ill message it to u guys.