PDA

View Full Version : If Matt Ryan leads the Falcons to a Superbowl win, is he elite?

HTownOlajuwon
01-14-2013, 03:23 PM
just curious, lets say he performs the same way Eli did last season and in 2007. Would you guys consider Matty Ice to be elite? I feel like he probably would be since the only reason why Eli gets praised and has elite status is because of his post-season play despite his inconsistent regular season play. I suppose that's why I don't really want the Falcons, Ravens, or even the 49ers to win it all, because whoever of those teams wins it, the QB will be automatically regarded as elite, even if they are closer to Trent Dilfer.

Trapstar4.4
01-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Sht man, if Ryan leads the falcons past the niners, then beats either the ravens or pats in the sb, he'll yeah I would consider him elite. ESPECIALLY if he outduels Brady. Sht that would be considered "the impossible" in ray Lewis' book. Glory to god

Lets be honest he already puts up the regular season numbers every year. Sb victory seals it

Mrs Grudge
01-14-2013, 03:31 PM
itd be nice if we defined what elite is.

I consider guys like Rodgers and Brady to be elite.

Big Ben is someone who is top 5, but out of the tier of everyone ahead of him. Eli is here too usually.

Ryan would join Big Ben's tier basically, and as of now he's outplayed Eli nearly all year.

NoS_oUtLaSt
01-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Considering most people consider the "top 5" elite. Then yes 100%

1) if He does it he will have beaten the #1 and #2 defenses in the NFL on the way to the superbowl
2) In the Superbowl he either A) outdueled Brady or B) Beat down on a defense that has Suggs, Lewis, Reed and Ngata(even if none are playing well right now its still something to say)
3) Had the regular season numbers to back it all up.

4backcracks
01-14-2013, 03:53 PM
just curious, lets say he performs the same way Eli did last season and in 2007. Would you guys consider Matty Ice to be elite? I feel like he probably would be since the only reason why Eli gets praised and has elite status is because of his post-season play despite his inconsistent regular season play. I suppose that's why I don't really want the Falcons, Ravens, or even the 49ers to win it all, because whoever of those teams wins it, the QB will be automatically regarded as elite, even if they are closer to Trent Dilfer.

Eli gets praised as elite because he's from the hype capital of the universe.

Matt Ryan's best playoff performance to date is 250 yards with 2 int. For me to consider him top 5, he would have to tear the 49ers a new ass hole in the NFCCG and have an above average super bowl.

MCrow
01-14-2013, 03:56 PM
I think his only real knock on his career has been winning big games. He won one now and I would say if he wins a SB you'd have to put him in the elite category even though I don't think he's as good as Brady, Rodgers, or Brees yet. Still, I think he'd be a cut above the rest.

4backcracks
01-14-2013, 04:06 PM
I think his only real knock on his career has been winning big games. He won one now and I would say if he wins a SB you'd have to put him in the elite category even though I don't think he's as good as Brady, Rodgers, or Brees yet. Still, I think he'd be a cut above the rest.

I would still say no, not unless he picks it up significantly. The strength of the running game was clearly the deciding factor for Atlanta.

Seattle was totally unprepared for the Falcons to hang 170 yards on the ground on them. Ryan went 8-of-12 for 87 yards and three touchdowns on play action and actually had a pretty crappy game otherwise.

I'm not at all saying Atlanta didn't deserve it, or anything remotely similar to that. I am saying Atlanta won this game with the run, and Matt Ryan was along for the ride.

bbacn123
01-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Let's be real:

1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Peyton Manning
4. Drew Brees
5. Matt Ryan
6. Ben Roethlisberger
7. Matt Schaub
8. Tony Romo
9. Matt Stafford
10. Eli Manning
11. Cam Newton
12. RGIII
13. Andrew Luck
14. Philip Rivers
15. Russell Wilson

In terms of talent.

/thread

MCrow
01-14-2013, 04:16 PM
I would still say no, not unless he picks it up significantly. The strength of the running game was clearly the deciding factor for Atlanta.

Seattle was totally unprepared for the Falcons to hang 170 yards on the ground on them. Ryan went 8-of-12 for 87 yards and three touchdowns on play action and actually had a pretty crappy game otherwise.

I'm not at all saying Atlanta didn't deserve it, or anything remotely similar to that. I am saying Atlanta won this game with the run, and Matt Ryan was along for the ride.

If you look at stats, Matt Ryan is ahead of where Brady was in his 5th year. Given that you can says he is statistaclly better than Brady at the same stage in their careers the difference being 2 SBs. Even in Brady's 2 SB seasons, Ryans stats over the last two years have been better.

So,IMO, if he adds a ring he's elite and if he can add multiple rings he's right there with the greats. Stats wise he's right there with the top guys of his generation perhaps just a little bit behind in some stats.

Not only that but he has improved stats wise every year for the last 3 years so what we are seeing now may not be his career best.

ShweezyBTFO
01-14-2013, 04:17 PM

BEASTMODE420
01-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Let's be real:

1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Peyton Manning
4. Drew Brees
5. Matt Ryan
6. Ben Roethlisberger
7. Matt Schaub
8. Tony Romo
9. Matt Stafford
10. Eli Manning
11. Cam Newton
12. RGIII
13. Andrew Luck
14. Philip Rivers
15. Russell Wilson

In terms of talent.

/thread

I see you trollinnnn there

roadtrippin
01-14-2013, 04:19 PM

Matt Ryan's best playoff performance to date is 250 yards with 2 int. For me to consider him top 5, he would have to tear the 49ers a new ass hole in the NFCCG and have an above average super bowl.stay salty

Trapstar4.4
01-14-2013, 04:21 PM

Yeah but we aren't talking about now. This is if he gets a ring.

I still say yes because Im pretty surethat the falcons won't hang 170 ground yards on the niners. In order to win the sb Ryan is going to have to throw some darn good games.

bbacn123
01-14-2013, 04:21 PM
I see you trollinnnn there

I'm not even. Though I admit I struggled a bit on numbers 8-15 so if your beef is the Wilson at 15 spot take comfort in that fact as I put the list together.

ShweezyBTFO
01-14-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm not even. Though I admit I struggled a bit on numbers 8-15 so if your beef is the Wilson at 15 spot take comfort in that fact as I put the list together.

brady above rodgers
schaub above eli montana

I think all those first round exits by the braves have done a number on your brain srs

Dave P
01-14-2013, 04:25 PM

Not a single Kaepernick was seen that day.

bbacn123
01-14-2013, 04:26 PM
brady above rodgers
schaub above eli montana

I think all those first round exits by the braves have done a number on your brain srs

Brady is the best QB ever. Not just currently.

Brady haters can live in denial all they want I guess. And do I really need to repost the thread where we discussed Eli's capabilities? It's really not necessary bro. brb 200 TDs 175 turnovers. brb folding more often down the stretch of the regular season and in the postseason more often than rising to the occasion.

These are the facts on Eli Manning.

bbacn123
01-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Not a single Kaepernick was seen that day.

He's played like half a season. brb let's put him top 10 :rolleyes:

Come on guys there's something that can be said about longevity instead of immediately hopping on the bandwagon for a handful of games.

Sample size brahs....sample size. I honestly felt I was generous enough with the rookies who played a full season on that list. I mean it has only been 1 year.

Dave P
01-14-2013, 04:33 PM
He's played like half a season. brb let's put him top 10 :rolleyes:

You made the list top 15...if it was Top 10 I wouldn't have really said anything.

ajn
01-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Let's be real:

1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Peyton Manning
4. Drew Brees
5. Matt Ryan
6. Ben Roethlisberger
7. Matt Schaub
8. Tony Romo
9. Matt Stafford
10. Eli Manning
11. Cam Newton
12. RGIII
13. Andrew Luck
14. Philip Rivers
15. Russell Wilson

In terms of talent.

/thread
lol at Schaub being anywhere on that list. please tell me you are trolling.

NoS_oUtLaSt
01-14-2013, 04:41 PM

Yet this game made Manning elite

http://i.imgur.com/KXSZs.png

Just saying winning a Superbowl makes people forget everything you did wrong in a whole game/season/postseason

iamgenus
01-14-2013, 04:42 PM
I need to trade Matt Ryan in the build a team draft stat....I only draft SB winning qbs.

bbacn123
01-14-2013, 04:44 PM
You made the list top 15...if it was Top 10 I wouldn't have really said anything.

This is seriously like trying to make an argument Tyler Thigpen should be Top 15 assuming the year was 2008/9 instead of 2012/3. In retrospect how silly would that have looked?

Point made about Kaepernick. Have a season, end discussion.

BallerStatus
01-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Matty is a bitchhhhhh

I bet his dick stay flaccid even when he getting it in

ShweezyBTFO
01-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Brady is the best QB ever. Not just currently.

Rodgers is the best currently and will end up the best ever.

Brady haters can live in denial all they want I guess. And do I really need to repost the thread where we discussed Eli's capabilities? It's really not necessary bro. brb 200 TDs 175 turnovers. brb folding more often down the stretch of the regular season and in the postseason more often than rising to the occasion.

These are the facts on Eli Manning.

and what are schaub's capabilities outside of play action? you trollin too hard with this one.

bbacn123
01-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Matty is a bitchhhhhh

I bet his dick stay flaccid even when he getting it in

quality contribution right here everyone.

NWDub
01-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Let's be real:

1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Peyton Manning
4. Drew Brees
5. Matt Ryan
6. Ben Roethlisberger
7. Matt Schaub
8. Tony Romo
9. Matt Stafford
10. Eli Manning
11. Cam Newton
12. RGIII
13. Andrew Luck
14. Philip Rivers
15. Russell Wilson

In terms of talent.

/thread

7/10 trollin man

you almost got me

BallerStatus
01-14-2013, 05:22 PM
You could tell me matty never got erect in his whole life an never drank a beer an I would believe it.