PDA

View Full Version : Young Black Man in Philly More Likely To Be Shot Than An American Soldier in Combat

Tamorlane
01-12-2013, 11:06 PM
no racism please

Among America's largest cities, Philadelphia's homicide rate is the worst. Guns are the weapons of choice, with more than 80% of homicides committed with a firearm, according to the most recent police statistics. African-Americans make up 85% of the victims

"Statistics suggest that as a young, black man, you have a greater chance of being shot and killed in Philadelphia than you would have if you were a soldier serving in the conflicts in Afghanistan or Iraq," Charles said. "That's absurd to me."

Despite the daily gun violence plaguing American cities like Philadelphia, Chicago or New Orleans, it's the mass shootings at a school or a theater or a public event -- like the tragedies in Newtown, Aurora and Tucson -- that trigger outrage and a serious, nationwide discussion on gun violence.

The indifference toward urban slayings often comes down to "victim blaming," said Rich, author of "Wrong Place, Wrong Time: Trauma and Violence in the Lives of Young Black Men."

Trauma, poverty and unsafe neighborhoods must be included in the gun control debate, said Ted Corbin, co-director at the Center for Nonviolence and Social Justice.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/12/us/gun-violence-philadelphia-newtown/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Afghani23
01-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Majority of those "victims" are criminals. Also majority of gun violence are gang related

StateIron
01-13-2013, 04:07 AM
http://www.sableverity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/stop-snitching.jpg

I don't want to engage in "victim blaming" but...

The "black community" has made it's bed...

dray510
01-13-2013, 06:25 AM
The misc never fails to display a level of racism and ignorance that I tried to believe didn't exist anymore. Apparantly when a black person gets killed they probably deserved it or they were a criminal. Yet if the Sandy Hook shooter was black I bet there would be a ****storm about the race of the shooter and "black culture" rather than mental illness.

goody1
01-13-2013, 06:32 AM
City of brotherly love of peace

ICrapBig
01-13-2013, 07:45 AM
The misc never fails to display a level of racism and ignorance that I tried to believe didn't exist anymore. Apparantly when a black person gets killed they probably deserved it or they were a criminal. Yet if the Sandy Hook shooter was black I bet there would be a ****storm about the race of the shooter and "black culture" rather than mental illness.

They were trying to be politically correct by saying that its not the average black dude and its not a typical day in a typical black community, rather that its gang related violence that does not reflect on you all. Id this something you have a problem with? Are you are a twit or just overly sensitive?

Because the best way to cut it would be just to provide you with some statistically accurate racism from sources like The Guardian and Washington Post perhaps.

1 in 3 black men will go to prison (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/aug/19/usa.garyyounge)

Over 70% of men who are shot are black (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2010/11/post_9.html), even though you are only 12% of the population.

Some god damn awful racism right there.

Unlike my politically correct friend, Ill just say that when 12% of the population is responsible for such a substantial amount of crime and violence, it should perhaps be spending less time accusing the world of racism and a little more time looking at itself wondering where the phuck its going wrong.

Its 2013 bro. You guys need to start coming to the party now

Godfrd824
01-13-2013, 09:50 AM
They were trying to be politically correct by saying that its not the average black dude and its not a typical day in a typical black community, rather that its gang related violence that does not reflect on you all. Id this something you have a problem with? Are you are a twit or just overly sensitive?

Because the best way to cut it would be just to provide you with some statistically accurate racism from sources like The Guardian and Washington Post perhaps.

1 in 3 black men will go to prison (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/aug/19/usa.garyyounge)

Over 70% of men who are shot are black (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2010/11/post_9.html), even though you are only 12% of the population.

Unlike my politically correct friend, Ill just say that when 12% of the population is responsible for such a substantial amount of crime and violence, it should perhaps be spending less time accusing the world of racism and a little more time looking at itself wondering where the phuck its going wrong.

Its 2013 bro. You guys need to start coming to the party nowI'm half black, and I agree, the perpetuation of the ghetto thug culture is what's causing it.

Spartan5364
01-13-2013, 09:58 AM
gang violence/10

thorton
01-13-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm half black, and I agree, the perpetuation of the ghetto thug culture is what's causing it.

Which is itself a symptom of poverty and the issues that come with that. If we look at mid-18th century American History we could make a case that Irish and other European settlers were responsible for most of the crime and thus it is obvious they are pre-disposed to violence and unable to properly function in a good whole society. The reality being of course that they were a creation of a oppressive system that guaranteed they would not have as many opportunities to succeed and thus creating an environment where crime paid literally, since little other opportunity existed.

The idea that a group of people is genetically disposed to a certain behaviour makes as much sense as saying every white person is pre-disposed to being a fat redneck honey boo boo style due to the prevalence of that type of person in certain states.

derkerkjerk
01-13-2013, 10:06 AM
I've been saying that the debate on gun control or guns at all is ridiculous at this point because far more gun crimes occur with handguns. This means that we should take a deeper look into what is causing gun crime.

If people would speak out on this, instead of talking about self defense or whatever when someone mentions "assault rifle" then the debate would shift toward looking at deeper-seated causes. There's clearly a major issue with our society when if John Doe is murdered getting ready to go to work and no one blinks an eye, but a bunch of kids dying makes everyone appalled. Something has gone terribly wrong when regular violence becomes a normal part of our society and only HUGE, TRAGIC violence gets our attention and makes us want to do something.

Seriously, the next time someone brings up anything about an AR, tell them that far more gun crime occurs with handguns, which means taking away ARs does nothing and calls for greater action toward the ROOT CAUSES of violence in our society in general.

YUL
01-13-2013, 10:34 AM

The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a 25 I had hopes and dreams and thought black people committed crimes because they were black. We all did. But over time, the improper interpretation of stats&figures and the reliance on mental heuristics gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge that Thorton has given you now. Good luck.

Which is itself a symptom of poverty and the issues that come with that. If we look at mid-18th century American History we could make a case that Irish and other European settlers were responsible for most of the crime and thus it is obvious they are pre-disposed to violence and unable to properly function in a good whole society. The reality being of course that they were a creation of a oppressive system that guaranteed they would not have as many opportunities to succeed and thus creating an environment where crime paid literally, since little other opportunity existed.

The idea that a group of people is genetically disposed to a certain behaviour makes as much sense as saying every white person is pre-disposed to being a fat redneck honey boo boo style due to the prevalence of that type of person in certain states.

dray510
01-13-2013, 01:32 PM

Plenty of "average black people" die everyday. You have your stats about prison rates but I can show you multiple studies on how blacks are more likely to be arrested than whites for the same crimes. You are 25 your view isn't going to change but luckily racists like you are being phased out each generation.

GoBlueJays
01-13-2013, 02:11 PM

12% of the population is arrested for the crime creating the representation they're responsible for most of the crime.

white people commit 70% of the "crime" in America.

guest89
01-13-2013, 02:33 PM

It has nothing to do with racism. Its a cultural issue more then anything else. People can cry racism all they want, but realistically:

- Blacks are more likely to fight each other.
- Blacks are more likely to stab each other.
- Blacks are more likely to shoot each other.

I see a lot of sh!t, and crime is the same race vs the same race the majority of the time. Most shootings/stabbings are people that know each other/that are related.

A major trend I see is, blacks are likely to dial 911 and report a crime, however, the victim is usually extremely uncooperative with law enforcement once they get there. IE: "F the police" attitude. To the point where they won't tell the police who shot or stabbed them (because they intend on getting revenge later or because they don't believe in snitching). As for witnesses most of the time nobody saw anything even though they were all crowded around watching and will not be a witness for LE.

Whats funny is, there are people that deal with the police every day of their lives, either because they committed a crime and someone called the police on them, or someone wronged/victimized them, yet they still tend to 'hate' the police/are uncooperative with the police. If you deal with LE every single day its time to change your lifestyle.

Realistically, the chances of an 'honest' citizen being victimized randomly is fairly rare. Most violent crimes are drug related or are related to the 'thug' culture. The whole wrong place wrong time thing is rare too. Most people are up to no good when sh!t goes bad. And I'm not blaming the victims, there are genuine victims out there...

As for why nobody 'cares' about this type of thing... Its probably because nobody really knows about it. Where I live people get shot/stabbed just about every day. The only time it makes the news is if someone actually dies (which is fairly rare in a shooting/stabbing) and even then its just a small article or about 30 seconds of news on tv.

guest89
01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Plenty of "average black people" die everyday. You have your stats about prison rates but I can show you multiple studies on how blacks are more likely to be arrested than whites for the same crimes. You are 25 your view isn't going to change but luckily racists like you are being phased out each generation.
I can tell you right now, police don't care who they arrest. Especially where I live.
They'll arrest anyone from politicians, rich folk, the chief of police's son, and even other police officers if need be.

If there is enough evidence for an arrest and there is a victim willing to pursue charges, the individual will be arrested.

Those studies probably leave out factors that make a difference. Evidence, victims, witnesses, etc.

ChadLion
01-13-2013, 02:51 PM
To be honest I don't give a fuk...as long as they don't target innocent people

Dave22reborn
01-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Maybe the females shouldn't pop out 2 to 3 kids, that they can't afford with guys who have no intention of sticking around. Don't blame the government for this ****, blame the people.

brighamw
01-13-2013, 03:09 PM

You're a ****ing idiot!

And not a single study was seen that day, negged :cool:

YUL
01-13-2013, 03:10 PM
It has nothing to do with racism. Its a cultural issue more then anything else. People can cry racism all they want, but realistically:

- Blacks are more likely to fight each other.
- Blacks are more likely to stab each other.
- Blacks are more likely to shoot each other.

Most shootings/stabbings are people that know each other/that are related.

uwotm8? white people don't know each other or aren't related?

F23
01-13-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm a resident physician. I was on call on New Year's Day this year.

Guess what the trauma team was doing all night? Working on a dozen or so African American males, all around ages 16-30, who had gotten shot during the new year's celebrations. I walked by the family visiting area, and it was FILLED with, again, African American males, all around ages 16-30, cursing and yelling into their cellphones using profane language about how they plan to kill the people to did this to their brother/friend.

And the city I work in doesn't even have that large of an African American population. Reality doesn't lie, statistics don't lie. Hospitals don't underreport the number of patients admitted with gunshot wounds. There is a serious problem in America's inner cities.

dray510
01-13-2013, 04:28 PM
And not a single study was seen that day, negged :cool:

I can literally give you 100 more links, this isn't breaking news its common knowlege that people like you turn a blind eye to. Ignorance is bliss, negged back I dont give a **** about how many reps you have you are disgusting.

http://www.crf-usa.org/brown-v-board-50th-anniversary/the-color-of-justice.html

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/race/news/2012/03/13/11351/the-top-10-most-startling-facts-about-people-of-color-and-criminal-justice-in-the-united-states/

http://colorlines.com/archives/2012/09/marijuana_prohibition_turns_75_blacks_three_times_ more_likely_to_be_arrested_than_whites.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/oct/31/race-bias-drug-arrests-claim

http://www.baycitizen.org/policing/story/african-americans-arrested-high-rates/

nohomobrah
01-13-2013, 04:32 PM

As far as getting searched and arrested for contraband and petty crime, this is very true.

Cops don't sweep bodies under the rug when white people are killers, though. They might want to book you when they see you but their credence to random people of their own race isn't that strong or anything close. The violence stats are pretty accurate.

brighamw
01-13-2013, 05:14 PM
I can literally give you 100 more links, this isn't breaking news its common knowlege that people like you turn a blind eye to. Ignorance is bliss, negged back I dont give a **** about how many reps you have you are disgusting.

http://www.crf-usa.org/brown-v-board-50th-anniversary/the-color-of-justice.html

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/race/news/2012/03/13/11351/the-top-10-most-startling-facts-about-people-of-color-and-criminal-justice-in-the-united-states/

http://colorlines.com/archives/2012/09/marijuana_prohibition_turns_75_blacks_three_times_ more_likely_to_be_arrested_than_whites.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/oct/31/race-bias-drug-arrests-claim

http://www.baycitizen.org/policing/story/african-americans-arrested-high-rates/

You don't even understand why you got negged do you dumb ****, lol...

You said "ZOMG I can post teh multiples of studies, blah, blah...."

No ****, I've seen the same studies, I never doubted their existance.

I negged you for spouting off about the studies, that I think most of us already know, but having to be called out to post them.

See usually the way it works in R/P is if we claim or reference a study or link, whatever, we post it, so that's why you were negged.

Oh & for someone who doesn't care about negs you responded pretty angrily, both here & in your neg comment ;)

ICrapBig
01-14-2013, 02:45 AM
The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a 25 I had hopes and dreams and thought black people committed crimes because they were black. We all did. But over time, the improper interpretation of stats&figures and the reliance on mental heuristics gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. S?o maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge that Thorton has given you now. Good luck.

Why do you pity me?

I did nothing but post statistics and articles from highly respected newspapers and journals posing the same questions I did. Is the Guardian and Washington Post racist now? Is this what you are saying? Please let me know what was racist about my post. If its now racist for me to demand that African American men start taking some sort of accountability for their own actions, then I guess I am racist. And if its not racist for you to think they are somehow victims who are incapable of doing this without assistance from everyone else, then I guess you live in a pretty rad place inside that delusional, phucked up mind of yours.

You have the audacity to accuse me of resorting to mental gymnastics in an effort to pad my position, then quote someones post where they have resorted to comparing 18th century Irish immigrants to African Americans in the USA today. The sad thing about that is that you are being super cereal too. The sheer stupidity of that statement followed by what you put forward as a "logical conclusion" that you would consider a sound explanation is equally retarded.

Honestly, spare your pity, put your energy into picking up a book from time to time and learning how to look at things critically instead.

At the same time, accusing me of racism for daring to share reports from respected publications and asking that African Americans accept some responsibility for once is an absurdity. But such is the average liberal mind these days I guess. Vapid morons.

IDrinkBloodLOL
01-14-2013, 05:52 AM

I understand your point of view, and stereotyping is a bad thing in general.

However, for whatever reason, black folks as a subset of the rest of society tend to be a LOT more criminal in ways that are easily quantified.

Understand - the two common explanations are that it's just genetic (i.e. it would happen no matter what anyone did) or that it's cultural (i.e. that mainstream black culture glorifies its worst parts and suppresses its best). I myself like to think it's probably more cultural.

Either way, there is obviously some kind of problem not present in the rest of society. That's not to say that people deserve to have the assumption made that if they screw something up it's more because of their race than anything else, but for many years the discourse has been not "whether or not black people commit crime," but "what is the real reason for WHEN black people commit crimes?"

I mean clearly my own race (white folks) is going through some major behavioral devolutions right now. Statistically, whites are failing to get married and stay married, failing to raise good families and now for whatever reason having the highest tendency of anybody to commit mass murder. There was Michael Cho, but as mass shooters go he was so far the only Asian face in an entire room full of white men. I'm sure stereotypes will arise from this.

Nobody has yet said it in as few words as blaming "white culture" for the "fact that white people just flip out one day and shoot up everybody," but I know it's inevitably coming.

I myself think what's going on with all of these mass shootings is a form of aggressive suicide, where people realize the futility and hopelessness of their own existence as it was taught to them, and when they get fed up enough with the people of earth so shamefully failing to live up to their own potential, they flip out and become a one man genocide force.

That's my current explanation for white folks and these mass shootings, but I'd like to know - what do you think is going on with black folks? I mean, we're on the topic now and I doubt that topic is going away - do you have a similar personal theory about black people and their own group problems with crime?