PDA

View Full Version : Question about cheat meals and abs

kyraschmidt
01-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Okay so I eat clean a good 90-95% of the time. I have a flat stomach with a little definition which I am happy with and don't want to lose. However, I am currently working to gain some weight (around 10 or more pounds) and was considering the idea of a cheat day while I eat 100% clean the other 6 days of the week. Now, I wouldn't go all out on the 7th day. I would probably have a yummy lunch and snack or dinner and snack ect.. I like the idea of enjoying myself a little while I am gaining but not at the cost of my abs.

So my question to those of you with abs: Should I worry that this weekly cheat might ruin my flat stomach since I am going to be at a calories surplus while I am trying to gain muscle/weight? I do need to gain some fat but I want it to be mostly muscle and I don't wish for my stomach to change at all really....

Thanks for the help! I am new to the idea of gaining and it is a little scary for me

JHarden
01-05-2013, 02:01 PM
First off, the individual foods you choose have no bearing on your body composition so the whole "eating clean" thing is a load of BS.

Now on to your question. If you are only going into a surplus one day a week then you are just going to end up spinning your wheels. Go with a moderate surplus every day. If you want to limit fat gains to a minimum keep your surplus near 10% of your TDEE, or about half a pound gained each week. You are going to have to put on some fat. There's no way around it, and your abs are going to get a little softer. You just have to accept it as a truth about bulking and deal with it in order to make long term progress. You don't have to get sloppy or anything. Just go slow and be consistent. It's easy to cut the fat off later. Building muscle is the hard part.

AlwaysTryin
01-05-2013, 02:22 PM
If you want to gain weight you'll have to eat at a surplus. Eating at a surplus you'll gain some fat.

The goal is to minimize the amount you gain and maximize muscle gain