PDA

View Full Version : what constitutes a 'fasted workout'

dlkor
01-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Is there an allotted time to reap supposed' benefits of a fasted workout?

Is this just an arbitrary number, x amount of hours because...

I was wondering, as I've adopted an IF protocol for the convenience it brings to my daily routine, in doing so, my workouts are about 8-10 hours after my meal, but my eating window is only about 1 hour and I consume my entire 2700 calories.

Because this feed is rather large, it got me thinking how long after a feed does your body enter this 'fasted state'

I'm really not concerned with working out fasted, I was just curious as I was showing a co-worker Layne Norton and Martin Berkman's work.

Thanks in advance

chameleonism
01-02-2013, 04:52 PM
The supposed benefits are IF are more or less overblown. Net caloric intake will determine changes in weight. IF is used by many for convenience and satiety. There is no hour requirement to meet for some magic effect.

If your goal is to add muscle, I think eating all of your calories in one hour is likely to be slightly sub-optimal. I don't have anything more than anecdotal accounts to back up that statement. However, if you are using a proper program with progressive overload and eating at an overall surplus, you will still see nice gains over time.

dlkor
01-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Yeah I agree that is it largely irrelevance in speaking on meal timing and body composition, and I'm not really in it for this magic factor, like I'm not going to push my workout later to be 'more-fasted', I do what suites me for convenience of it. Appreciate the input.