PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Fasting question

Bronzzi
01-01-2013, 02:36 AM
Hello, I've been IF:inning for around 6 weeks now, currently clean bulking with 3800 kcals on training days and 3600 kcals on rest days. So my question is this; can I consume any amount of carbs on rest days? I always thought carbs should be consumed maximum 80-100 grams on rest days, isn't this true? My training day macros are 210 P, 30 F, 670 C and my rest day macros have been 450 P, 120-160 F, 100 C. So instead of that could my rest day macros be something like this 300 P, 80 F, 250 C ? I thought that carbs should be extremely low on rest days but how would this affect if my carbs weren't so low on rest days?
Thanks for help people!

Makween
01-01-2013, 03:32 AM
That you're implementing IF is irrelevant to this question and there's no special benefit to carb/calorie cycling unless you prefer doing so. You aren't consuming enough fat on training days, so I'd increase that before doing anything else. Protein doesn't need to be as high as that either, although it won't do any harm.

Your body doesn't stop and reset at midnight, so on your training days you'll still be digesting the food you've eaten on your rest days and vice versa. If you like carb cycling in this fashion then carry on doing so, but it won't matter if you don't. Personally, I think that it just overcomplicates things but then maybe you've found you respond well to it so...whatever. At your height and weight, the important thing is that you keep eating and lifting.

Bronzzi
01-01-2013, 03:37 AM
I like to keep my fat very low on training days because then I get to eat more carbs :) I balance my fat intake with rest days higher fat so I think I'm good with fat. I was just wondering is it okay to consume as many carbs as I want on rest days?

Makween
01-01-2013, 03:44 AM
I like to keep my fat very low on training days because then I get to eat more carbs :) I balance my fat intake with rest days higher fat so I think I'm good with fat. I was just wondering is it okay to consume as many carbs as I want on rest days?

Fat is an essential nutrient which regulates hormone function, so being deficient in it really isn't a good idea. I'm not saying that you should sacrifice carbs for fat if you don't want to, but typically 0.4-0.45g/lb bodyweight is recommended as a minimum on here. Although you're eating more fat on your rest days, I still think that it'd be a better idea to at least hit that minimum on training days. At your weight that'd still only be about 60g, which could mostly be covered by reducing protein to around 150g. You'd barely have to reduce carbs at all.

That isn't what you're asking, though, and it's really your business. The answer to your question is yes: provided that you're consuming enough protein and fat (and you're actually overconsuming protein), you can fill as many of your remaining calories as you want with carbs.

SuffolkPunch
01-01-2013, 03:49 AM
You don't need to hit exact numbers at all. There is no reason to push fat consumption as low as possible. I don't understand how it can be preference - most foods I like have a combination of both.

Just set minimums for protein and fat and fill whatever is left with any combination. Makes food planning much easier and the effect is identical.

Hitting minimums for fat and micros should be a cakewalk when you are on such a high calorie intake. Protein might take a little bit of thought but that's it.

Bronzzi
01-01-2013, 03:58 AM
Thank you guys for informative answers!

funkypigeon
01-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Play around on rest days with your carb and fat ratio, tbh the best ratio is the one which keeps adherance to the diet, you should try to go as low carb as possible without it effecting your workout the next day or without effecting adherance to the diet, you want to have high fat on this day to compensate for the low fat on workout days as fat is vital for health and hormone production also the following day post workout your muscle will be further depleted of glycogen so it is more likley that the surplus of carb calories will go to muscle glycogen rather than spilling over to fat issue (DNL).
But if it becomes too over complicated or you have any troubble with this then just make sure you hit your protein and calories and dont worry about it too much.