PDA

View Full Version : How to calculate this?

Ro11Tide
12-28-2012, 03:16 PM
So I wanna cook red potatoes on a skillet with some no stick cooking spray which has 0 calories. I was wondering do I jut weigh the potatoes before I cook them and use those calories? Or cook them and then weigh them? Also since it is 0 calorie spray, then it doesn't add any calories correct? Thanks!

landus123
12-28-2012, 03:26 PM
So I wanna cook red potatoes on a skillet with some no stick cooking spray which has 0 calories. I was wondering do I jut weigh the potatoes before I cook them and use those calories? Or cook them and then weigh them? Also since it is 0 calorie spray, then it doesn't add any calories correct? Thanks!

anything you cook will probably weight less once you've blasted it with heat (it will lose water etc). I would say weighing after is more accurate but things like this are REALLY not worth worrying about as I imagine the difference will be quite small. And yes 0 calorie spray should mean that it has next to no calorific content... even if it had 1 or 2 calories, this will make LITERALLY no difference to your life. I don't mean this to sound bad or anything but when you think about calories that are so miniscule... we both probably burned 1 or 2 just typing on this thread.

DeathBySquats
12-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Whichever way you choose to weigh it make sure it is consistent i.e don't weigh it before one time and after another choose a way and do that forever, as even consistent errors are consistent. That being said I usually just weigh it before I cook it and usually if anything you lose a bit during cooking so unless your bulking shouldn't be a problem.

The cooking sprays can be called 0 calories but might have some trace calories in them, but will be so minimal it won't have an effect on the grand scheme of things. I think you can legally say a product is 0 calories if it is <5 calories or something I think.

DeadliftDOMS
12-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Always weigh before to get the most ACURRATE measure..DEPENDING on the cooking method it can either weigh more or less...ex: boiling in WATER will add moisture to most thing make it weigh more....baking or dry cooking something will eventually dry it out and way less...there online website that give measurment for after cooking and before. And of coarse the spray has cals in it...it's not air...I think it usually says 0 cals for 1/4 of a spray...that like a milla second.