PDA

View Full Version : Can a large part of your diet be crap?

MajorBroski
12-27-2012, 09:49 PM
By crap, I mean sugar, mostly, maybe an occasional meal out of McDonalds or Burger King, as long as it fits your macros?
I did the calculations, and for me to do a bulk, I need to eat about 3500 calories, which is huge for me, I was cutting and still eating under what I was aiming to eat, Let's say about 1000 of this came from crap foods, would it matter, providing I also got good foods? I heard that if you consume sugar and wholegrain food at the same time, the digestion of the sugar gets slowed down, is this true?
Also, there's something I'm not clear on, should you increase your protein on a bulk? Or just your carbs?

ODoyle99
12-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Ya, that's fine. No difference in getting 25g protein/25g CHO/25g fat from a burger than it is getting it from "clean" "healthy" foods. If it helps you hit your macros, great.
And yes, eating sugar with complex carbs or fat will slow digestion and help blunt the insulin (to an extent. I don't recommend eating donuts with lumps of animal fat thinking your cleverly eluding insulin)
For a bulk, make sure your hitting minimum protein and fat requirements and the rest of your calories can be from anything. You can increase protein one day, fat the next, dump all extra calories in carbs, distribute them evenly. *shrug* your call

determined4000
12-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Ya, that's fine. No difference in getting 25g protein/25g CHO/25g fat from a burger than it is getting it from "clean" "healthy" foods.fine in terms of what
no difference in terms of what?
this is where IIFYM goes horribly wrong.

CharH06
12-28-2012, 01:36 AM
i believe its fine. I bulk on 3500 calories aswell and occasionally fill in about 1000 calories from "junk" foods. There is nothing really that bad about mcdonalds anyway, its just people want one single thing to blame for their health problems. Food standards are pretty high nowadays and mcdonalds adheres to them pretty strongly since its such a large chain.

As long as you are having plenty of fruits, veges, other whole foods, controlling calories, exercising, it should be fine.

FeelTheFear
12-28-2012, 01:41 AM
It's pretty easy to hit your micros really.. You could eat a few servings of vegetables a day (<500 cals) and the rest could be "junk" food and you'd be fine

ArabAesthetic
12-28-2012, 01:58 AM
It's pretty easy to hit your micros really.. You could eat a few servings of vegetables a day (<500 cals) and the rest could be "junk" food and you'd be fine

This.
Throw in some veggies and fruit serving here and there and the rest could be anything that helps u hit your macros for the day.

germaine07
12-28-2012, 04:21 AM
Ideally your diet should be composed mainly, for the most part, of whole and minimally processed foods. The 80/20 rule is good IMO. Take a read of this article by Alan Aragon:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

Lites10
12-28-2012, 06:39 AM
have you watched this yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJZsWbhmxfA

WonderPug
12-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Ingesting sugar as a means of meeting your calorie target seem...odd.

Clearly, eating a burger from a fast food eatery would provide substantially more nutritional content and higher palatability.

That said, if you're having trouble with satiety, wouldn't it make more sense to consume nutrient rich whole and minimally processed foods that are high in fat?

If only common sense was a bit more...common.

Makween
12-28-2012, 07:00 AM
By crap, I mean sugar, mostly, maybe an occasional meal out of McDonalds or Burger King, as long as it fits your macros?
I did the calculations, and for me to do a bulk, I need to eat about 3500 calories, which is huge for me, I was cutting and still eating under what I was aiming to eat, Let's say about 1000 of this came from crap foods, would it matter, providing I also got good foods? I heard that if you consume sugar and wholegrain food at the same time, the digestion of the sugar gets slowed down, is this true?
Also, there's something I'm not clear on, should you increase your protein on a bulk? Or just your carbs?

If the majority of your diet is made up from unprocessed whole foods and you have micronutrient sufficiency, it's acceptable to fit in some less nutrient dense foods to fill in gaps. This shouldn't mean that such foods compose the majority of your intake.

To me, around one third of your intake coming from the likes of McDonalds or Burger King every day would be over the top. Every so often would be fine, though.

BernadetMatassa
12-28-2012, 08:16 AM
You should try to eat clean 70-80% the rest could be "junk" if you like. Too much junk food will take toll on your health.. Good luck!