PDA

View Full Version : Heating whey?

vspinkcouture
12-24-2012, 01:43 PM
I was drinking my daily protein shake and I decided I wanted it warm since I was cold. I put it in the microwave for a minute and continued to heat it as I drank it. Will making this sort of hot chocolate whey protein drink make the protein bad or something from being very hot? It tasted fine to me I just wanted to make sure it wasn't breaking down protein or something. Thanks!

Actinoplanes
12-24-2012, 02:01 PM
The protein will denature, which is what happens in the GI tract anyway. It's fine.

nathan1002
12-24-2012, 04:52 PM
If the protein has Glutamine in it then it will be destroyed when you heat it up

Dokdonia
12-24-2012, 05:03 PM
If the protein has Glutamine in it then it will be destroyed when you heat it up

False. It's fine being heated for a few minutes. In a peptide, it's even more stable than free form.

Google "Stability of N-Acetylglutamine and Glutamine in Aqueous Solution and in a Liquid Nutritional Product by an Improved HPLC Method" (90% is still intact even after 30 minutes at 100 C) and educate yourself to avoid continuing to spew nonsense.

motiva8
12-25-2012, 10:30 AM
I I just wanted to make sure it wasn't breaking down protein or something. Thanks!

Our body cannot utilise proteins from food, they are too big & all. We mechanically, chemically & enzymatically break them down by denaturing the protein into amino acids. Which are then utilised by the body. Heating simply helps the breaking of the proteins secondary etc bonds, although if i recall correctly proteins can reform once cooled into their original structures provided they can overcome the new bond energies formed from the heat supplied to the system.
PH in itself changes protein structure by f*cking up the charges on the proteins functional groups. It's used in biotechnology (salting for eg), As you can deduce our stomachs PH will significantly alter the shape of the protein so.

In layman terms, no you're fine to heat foods.
PS this is just the case for proteins, some micronutrients ARE affected by the temperatures we cook food at & results in nutritional loss.

ironwill2008
12-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Will making this sort of hot chocolate whey protein drink make the protein bad or something from being very hot?

No.

You'd have to burn it to a cinder to render it useless by your body.

alex2363
12-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Correct, we cook chicken and it still retains the protein after its cooked.

MITCHAPAL00ZA
12-25-2012, 11:21 AM
sounds gross tbh but no it doesnt wreck the protein or anything.