PDA

View Full Version : Does boiling your veggies lose its nutritional value?

BeeQue
12-24-2012, 07:38 AM
I heard that boiling your veggies can cause it to lose its nutritional value into the water e.g. brocolli is this true?

Roseburia
12-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Yes for certain nutrients but not a complete loss. Steam or raw if you are getting your panties in a bunch over it.

But the most important thing is that you're eating it in the first place.

rand18m
12-24-2012, 07:40 AM
I heard that boiling your veggies can cause it to lose its nutritional value into the water e.g. brocolli is this true?

That's true, boiling vegetables does cause some water soluble nutrients to leach into the water, hence Grandma's chicken noodle soup is soooo good for you!

It's not something to concern yourself, and another reason to enjoy soups. GL

BeeQue
12-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Thank you very much :)

aaron2686
12-24-2012, 12:02 PM
To avoid this issue, I always buy those steam-in-bag frozen vegetables. You put them in the microwave for about five minutes and they're done. According to Harold McGee, a food science columnist at NYT, current scientific evidence shows this to be the healthiest way of cooking vegetables (i.e. they retain most, if not all, of their nutrients).

P.S. Birdseye Steamfresh is my usual brand of choice and they sell brussels sprouts in steamer bags, which are an excellent source of fiber and perfect with a little salt and pepper.