PDA

View Full Version : New Haven Police Offer Gift Cards For Guns

WinChester23
12-21-2012, 10:05 PM
New Haven police are offering $50 or $100 for working firearms during gun buy-back events on Saturday and on Dec. 29 at the New Haven Police Academy.

The program, sponsored by the Injury Free Coalition for Kids of New Haven and Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital, will take place between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. on both days.

A $50 gift card will be given to anyone who brings in a working gun. Two $50 gift cards will be given in exchange for assault weapons, except for newly sawed off shotguns.

[Sample Our Free Breaking News Alert And 3 P.M. News Newsletters]

A "no questions asked" policy will be in effect, allowing individuals to anonymously dispose of firearms without fear of charges for illegal possession when turning in the weapon, police said.

Nonoperational guns, antiques, BB guns and holsters will be accepted, but do not qualify for a gift card.

Gun dealers and/or people who police believe are gun dealers are excluded from the program and cannot exchange guns for a gift card, police said.

Free distribution of gun locks will also be offered at the dropoff location.

If a citizen decides not to turn in their firearm after entering the exchange location because the weapon does not qualify for a gift card, the firearm will be seized by officers if the citizen does not possess a state permit to carry pistols and revolvers, police said.

Firearms must be unloaded when delivered. They must be placed in a clear plastic bag and then put inside another container, such as a gym bag or back pack. Ammunition must be delivered in a separate bag.

If transporting the firearm by car, the firearm must be transported in the trunk of the car.

http://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-new-haven-gun-buyback-1222-20121221,0,1454213.story

Dragger
12-21-2012, 10:59 PM
LoL, trading in my $500 to $2,000 guns in for $100 gift cards. Great idea!

Steak_n_Taters
12-21-2012, 11:05 PM

Offer you can't refuse.

Dragger
12-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Offer you can't refuse.

I'd best be jumping onto that thar.

Only people doing this are trading in their stolen guns. No questions asked, wonder how many murder weapons make it in?

tnel00
12-21-2012, 11:22 PM
I'd best be jumping onto that thar.

Only people doing this are trading in their stolen guns. No questions asked, wonder how many murder weapons make it in?

quite a few if it's anything like the buybacks that take place in major inner cities...not sure what new haven's like

Dragger
12-21-2012, 11:44 PM

TheStender tried negging me for this post, he accidently repped me. But he can't post a reply...

TheStender
12-21-2012, 11:53 PM
TheStender tried negging me for this post, he accidently repped me. But he can't post a reply...

Let's go with that I didn't rep you on accident, since I've been here long enough to know what a rep is and what a neg is, and that I actually meant to rep you.

What conclusions can you make from that?

Dragger
12-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Let's go with that I didn't rep you on accident, since I've been here long enough to know what a rep is and what a neg is, and that I actually meant to rep you.

What conclusions can you make from that?

Sends rep with negative comment stating,"You can't kill anyone with a gift card, and we both know since you have a gun you're just itching to shoot someone with it" -TheStender

Guess I've seen worse logic here...

TheStender
12-22-2012, 01:15 AM
Sends rep with negative comment stating,"You can't kill anyone with a gift card, and we both know since you have a gun you're just itching to shoot someone with it" -TheStender

Guess I've seen worse logic here...

Sees comment that starts off with a remark about killing someone with a gift card.

Proceeds to take the comment seriously.

Guess I've seen worse sarcasm detectors here.

Dragger
12-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Sees comment that starts off with a remark about killing someone with a gift card.

Oopps, sorry. Repped ya back.

AFiers
12-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Worked out pretty well in Camden NJ if you ask me, 1,137 guns picked up over the two day run they did:

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/camden-guns-620x451.jpg

CrunkJuice2
12-23-2012, 08:48 AM
camden new jersey is a **** hole so it suprises me how many idiots turned in there guns

Xenic
12-23-2012, 08:49 AM
holy sh!t...

- organize gun buyback program
- exploit liberal intellectual shortcomings
- Profit?????

AFiers
12-23-2012, 08:49 AM
camden new jersey is a **** hole so it suprises me how many idiots turned in there guns

Yes, I know it is. I live in NJ. But regardless, any time you can get over 1,000 guns off the street, I'd consider it a successful venture.

CrunkJuice2
12-23-2012, 08:51 AM
I'd consider it a successful venture.

for the criminals who are now going to target the people who know they know dont have any guns yes.but a successful venture to the people who want to protect themselfs? nah

i guess its another win for mainstream media and there fear mongoring anti gun agenda

flairon
12-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Yes, I know it is. I live in NJ. But regardless, any time you can get over 1,000 guns off the street, I'd consider it a successful venture.

yeah..but look at the guns they recovered. Other than the handguns, have you ever seen any rifles of those styles used in any kind of a crime? I see a couple lever actions in that pile there, so I guess the stage coaches in Jersey are safe now

EarthBeer
12-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Guilt tripping people into disarming themselves.

Only liberals fall for this.

JMath
12-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Brb hosting my own buyback program and acquiring guns for cheap!

LOGfan
12-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Worked out pretty well in Camden NJ if you ask me, 1,137 guns picked up over the two day run they did:

Live in one of the poorest, most corrupt, crime ridden areas of the country.

Give up means of protection.

The state should be giving them Darwin Awards instead.

Mafioso76
12-23-2012, 09:12 AM

Thestender, I'll gladly check to see how u rep people buddy. Feel free to send em my way for evaluation.

Apeus
12-23-2012, 09:56 AM

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/camden-guns-620x451.jpg

Look at all those bolt action rifles and pump action shotguns.

The streets of New Jersey are much safer now that all of Nucky Thompson's men have turned in their guns.

Steak_n_Taters
12-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Strong upside down stock on this shotgun. Good thing they got this high quality, dangerous piece off "the streets" lol

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq266/SNT_T888/camden-guns-620x451_zpsb8c9edeb.jpg

nohomobrah
12-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Not to be a meanie,

but would ANY illegal guns ever come from the owners who removed their gun from supply basically for a cause? This kind of Flanders doesn't sound like the person who would sell theirs off illegally or shoot up a school.

Neg_Train
12-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Since its voluntary, i think only "criminals" would be turning in their guns.

Because no rightful owner for hundreds of dollars worth would trade in for a $100 giftcard lol

goodluck12
12-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Willing to bet most of the populous would walk into a gas chamber if you told them there was a $50 walmart gift card on the other side....

Dragger
12-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Strong upside down stock on this shotgun. Good thing they got this high quality, dangerous piece off "the streets" lol

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq266/SNT_T888/camden-guns-620x451_zpsb8c9edeb.jpg

LOL, holysh*t. Good find! Repps on recharge.

lasher
12-24-2012, 11:46 AM

****. This happens to me all the time.

Nobody understands our humor bro.

http://twilightguide.com/tg/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/new-moon-edward-sad.jpg

illriginalized
12-24-2012, 11:52 AM
lol.. $100 gift card?

I don't think I even own an accessory, for my small collection, that low in value.

feedmelies
12-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Too bad gun buy backs don't work.