PDA

View Full Version : Can you BECOME a hard gainer?

kidalive
12-19-2012, 11:47 AM
I've lost 100lbs... I'm 6" weigh 180 with about 9~10% bodyfat.

I'm lifting and eating like a madman! 4k calories/day (5x5 and paleo) Yet I don't seem to be putting on any kind of weight.

I've been lifting for a long time now and you'll see from my before/after that I've made some progress.

I've just always assumed that because I was once so big that I would have to be very careful with what I eat as to not get fat again. But I can't even get fat. (though I fluctuate water weight like mad)

Can you transform yourself so drastically that you metabolism is sped up enough that you've actually become a hard gainer?

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb378/jeremydrake/beforeafter_zpsa9e5e242.jpg

SuffolkPunch
12-19-2012, 11:51 AM
"Hardgainer" doesn't mean you defy the laws of thermodynamics. It just means your appetite is small. If you don't put on scale weight, eat moar. Eat calorie dense foods if necessary - "paleo" is just making it hard for you to do that.

VVTFQLubaS0

BWC101
12-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Even though I am an avid supporter of Paleo unlike most on here, one thing I will say is that it made it almost impossible for me to add weight also.

Increasing carbohydrates is probably the big thing here and getting it all from sweet potato and fruit just isn't all that practical for me.

I suggest slowly bringing certain food items back into your regime in moderation- such as oats, basmati rice, cheese, some milk, maybe some whey etc. If you have adverse reactions to any of them, drop them back out. If not you may be able to apply a 'modified' paleo approach during bulking periods and it may help you to add some size.

ELLSKIES
12-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Aaaannndd . . . congrats on your transformation! That's hella good progress!

WunSen
12-19-2012, 06:07 PM
posted simply to say gjdm

Cdt_Richards
12-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Even though I am an avid supporter of Paleo unlike most on here, one thing I will say is that it made it almost impossible for me to add weight also.

Increasing carbohydrates is probably the big thing here and getting it all from sweet potato and fruit just isn't all that practical for me.

I suggest slowly bringing certain food items back into your regime in moderation- such as oats, basmati rice, cheese, some milk, maybe some whey etc. If you have adverse reactions to any of them, drop them back out. If not you may be able to apply a 'modified' paleo approach during bulking periods and it may help you to add some size.

Absolutely. Sometimes, it's the macronutrient ratio you are hitting. Remember, all the protein and healthy fats in the world are great. But, you also need to refill and overload your muscle glycogen levels for full recovery and progression in terms of muscle growth and gains

ErikTheElectric
12-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Yes, your metabolism CAN increase.. you can also be a very active individual with your lifestyle choices (taking the stairs, walking every were).. or your job ( constantly on feet/moving, manual labor) etc. All of these can play a factor in your metabolism.

Miickk
12-19-2012, 06:32 PM
- Small appetite
- detest food
- active lifestyle.
So, yes... but, consume about 5,000-6,000 calories everyday and you probably won't be a hard-gainer any more.
Congratulations on your transformation OP. :)

AlwaysTryin
12-19-2012, 06:44 PM
As said, no such thing as a hardgainer

mainsqueeze530
12-19-2012, 07:20 PM
I don't understand why people say there's no such thing as a hard gainer. I SEE people everyday at my height weighing 150 lbs that literally eat junk ALL day without putting on any fat.

rand18m
12-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Huge congratulations on your progress! You possibly are one of the few that have repaired their metabolism! (assuming yours was damaged, which is a fair assumption given your prior weight)

Isn't that a great feeling, I assume at this point you are wanting to increase your strength and body mass, which will require you to eat and lift, enjoy and keep up the good work. Most people who have lost large amounts of weight find their maintenance is very low when done and can't quite get it back up, hence then end up gaining it all back and more.

So you may be the acceptation, not sure how you did it, but however you did I suggest you would get great satisfaction out of helping others that were in your situation. Good luck!

(Not sure if you had a question, but if it's truly is hard gaining, just keep diet right, lift hard, enjoy life)!!

ErikTheElectric
12-19-2012, 08:09 PM
I don't understand why people say there's no such thing as a hard gainer. I SEE people everyday at my height weighing 150 lbs that literally eat junk ALL day without putting on any fat.Are you "with them" at nearly every minute of their lives?

Some people have more active lifestyles than others, move more during the day, workout harder, etc. There's so many factors to take into account when calling someone a "hardgainer" just by going off of what they eat for a few meals IMO.

foodandfitness
12-19-2012, 08:21 PM
In my opinion you would be a "hardgainer" if at 4,000 calories, which you report you are consuming, is very difficult for you to eat. In other words, you have to force it down because you don't have much of an appetite or motivation to eat. Is this the case with you? Because if you're happily eating 4000kcal and have room for more, just eat more calories. You will gain weight.

Freshdou
12-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Congrats on your transformation! Very impressive indeed.

It's funny since your metabolism should have been somewhat slowed since you've been dieting for so long, but you actually have trouble gaining weight haha. It's better than gaining some weight back I guess.

Up your calories by 100-200 a week until you're gaining ~1lb/2weeks.

determined4000
12-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Hard gainers

a. Think they eat more than they do
b. compare their intakes to their little sister or grandmother
c. dont measure food properly
d. Perform a lot of exercising
e. are going thru puberty
f. Are active during the day
g. have active jobs
h. fidget
i. dont eat calorie dense foods

Most likely they fit into a multitude of these categories
Just like Ednomorphs
a. dont measure food properly
b. dont exercise a lot
c. have downregulated metabolism
d. are sedentary
e. are done growing
f. Eat more calories than they think they do
g. Compare their intake to someone who is bigger, more active , or leaner
h. dont train intensely

darkcloudcover
12-19-2012, 11:40 PM
But, you also need to refill and overload your muscle glycogen levels for full recovery and progression in terms of muscle growth and gains
Thanks for this info. Can you please provide the reference ?

Zerste
12-20-2012, 12:40 AM
Posted to say GJDM, and take my measlies. Also, I wouldn't call myself a "hardgainer" or anything to that effect, but after losing a bit of weight and relearning how to eat, bulking is certainly an odd thing to undertake. "You mean I have to OVER eat? EVERY day? Sounds great!" and then after a week of it you're like "Oh god stop looking at me chicken, I do not want to eat you anymore." You got this though, if you can lose that much weight, you've got this easily. GJ and GL.

2bPuMp3d
12-20-2012, 12:59 AM
Amazing transformation that is awesome! I hope your enjoying life that much more now that you have achieved such a great thing.

Alcatraz84
12-20-2012, 03:51 AM
I don't understand why people say there's no such thing as a hard gainer. I SEE people everyday at my height weighing 150 lbs that literally eat junk ALL day without putting on any fat.

Define "junk food". Just because it's sugary or comes from a fast food takeaway, doesn't mean it has massive amounts of calories. If I have fast food for lunch, I usually have trouble getting in the required calories, without making it a massive meal, whereas with say grilled chicken and rice it's easy.

My point is, just because they eat cheeseburgers and chocolate bars, doesn't mean they're eating above their maintenance level. Also I seriously doubt they *literally* eat anything all day, more likely one or two meals, then dinner at home, unless you're with them ALL the time and track their macros?

WonderPug
12-20-2012, 03:58 AM
You also need to refill and overload your muscle glycogen levels for full recovery and progression in terms of muscle growth and gainsThis is simply not true.

Hypertrophy during nutritional ketosis is well established in the literature.

darkcloudcover
12-20-2012, 04:52 AM
This is simply not true.

Hypertrophy during nutritional ketosis is well established in the literature.
Exactly, however I had hope him providing some, backing up the "supposed" physiology of carbohydrates participating in lean body mass development which I've never heard of so far (since he has certifications!).

Good job OP on your results. Now let’s get straight to the point here.

Adding muscle mass has nothing to do with carbohydrates as some guys told you here, please learn more about the metabolic pathways, specifically about Glycolysis, for you to understand that carbohydrates have no role whatsoever in building muscle tissue. If anything will be “built” from those, it will be bodyfat (when you exceed your daily caloric needs).

What you should be looking for is positive nitrogen balance, in other words, your body has to be in a state where it is retaining the protein that you are ingesting.

For this to happen without enhancement, your testosterone secretion should be maximized, and the proteins that you ingest should be complete (this is where animal proteins dominate the plant proteins – sorry vegeterians!).

How to do that:

1) Put your body under maximum amount of stress in the least amount of time during training, and the best way to do it is to go for heavy compound movements, especially heavy squats & deadlifts without taking too much rest in between sets
2) Keep your protein intake high from complete sources
3) Keep your dietary fat & cholesterol intake adequate to support testosterone production
4) Have deep sleep

If these do not give you results, it means that you either have a testosterone problem or maybe have reached your genetic potential. Get testosterone blood work done to have a clear idea where you’re at.

The master component that will ultimately decide how much muscle you can retain is testosterone. Do not be fooled by the pump you get from carbohydrate ingestion because it’s not muscle. It’s nothing more than a form of energy storage called Glycogen.

Hope this was informative.