PDA

View Full Version : Look like a solid bulking diet plan?

Acousticx
12-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Novice lifter here, ready to get down and bulk. 6'1 roughly 168 pounds. Probably need to get around 3500 calories to gain weight. Leaning more to the clean side. How does this look?

Morning (7:30): 4 whole grain waffles with whey (not sure how much, put 2 scoops in the batter mixture), so they pretty much just have added protein. Cup of oatmeal as well (splenda good to add on top to help the flavor?). roughly 1000 calories

Lunch (12:00): School food. Usually get around 500-600 calories

Post workout (on M,W,F, 3:00): Peanut butter sandwich and whey protein shake. 500 calories

Snack: Greek Yogurt w/banana 200 Calories

Dinner: Usually meat serving with either brown rice or potatoes as a side. Roughly 500-600 calories as well.

Drink only water throughout the day. everything whole grain as well. This adds up to about 3000 calories so I still need an extra 500. Could probably add a chicken breast (frozen?) to the post workout. Cooked in olive oil on the stove. Any recommendations are welcome.

Miickk
12-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Novice lifter here, ready to get down and bulk. 6'1 roughly 168 pounds. Probably need to get around 3500 calories to gain weight. Leaning more to the clean side. How does this look?

Morning (7:30): 4 whole grain waffles with whey (not sure how much, put 2 scoops in the batter mixture), so they pretty much just have added protein. Cup of oatmeal as well (splenda good to add on top to help the flavor?). roughly 1000 calories

Lunch (12:00): School food. Usually get around 500-600 calories

Post workout (on M,W,F, 3:00): Peanut butter sandwich and whey protein shake. 500 calories

Snack: Greek Yogurt w/banana 200 Calories

Dinner: Usually meat serving with either brown rice or potatoes as a side. Roughly 500-600 calories as well.

Drink only water throughout the day. everything whole grain as well. This adds up to about 3000 calories so I still need an extra 500. Could probably add a chicken breast (frozen?) to the post workout. Cooked in olive oil on the stove. Any recommendations are welcome.

This "plan" seems restrictive and mundane. Please read the stickies to get a better understanding of nutritional science.

Acousticx
12-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Please elaborate, I've read most things on this website and others.

Miickk
12-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Please elaborate, I've read most things on this website and others.
- There's no "clean" food.
- you haven't listed any macronutrient goals in your diet, you just have calories.
- ensure 1 g of protein per pound of body weight
- 0.3 - 0.5 g of fat per pound of body weight
- fill your remaining calories with carbs.

So for you, using a 3500 calorie diet you macros would be something along the lines of 170p/80f/525c

Acousticx
12-12-2012, 07:40 PM
- There's no "clean" food.
- you haven't listed any macronutrient goals in your diet, you just have calories.
- ensure 1 g of protein per pound of body weight
- 0.3 - 0.5 g of fat per pound of body weight
- fill your remaining calories with carbs.

So for you, using a 3500 calorie diet you macros would be something along the lines of 170p/80f/525c

1. There is a difference between a clean bulk and a dirty bulk. If I didn't care that much about fat gain (which I know I am gonna get either way) I would pig out at Mcdonalds 3 times a day.

2. I understand this, it's difficult trying to find the exact amount of protein and carbs in each meal. Especially when you don't know what each meal might be. Valid point though.

3. Yes.

4. Yes. (wasn't aware of this one actually)

5. Yes

Thanks for the macros. I basically just trying to get a general idea of whether or not this is a decent bulking plan. I'm not a big fan of getting into exact macros either for my day. Most of the time, I am not in a position to eat the same exact thing each day, therefore I usually pick something that is high in protein and calories. While not going overboard with fat, and keeping carbohydrates at a decent level as well. In other words, I am not a dedicated bodybuilder by any means.

AlwaysTryin
12-12-2012, 08:31 PM
1. There is a difference between a clean bulk and a dirty bulk. If I didn't care that much about fat gain (which I know I am gonna get either way) I would pig out at Mcdonalds 3 times a day. Yes there is, and that's determined by the caloric surplus, not the choice of foods

2. I understand this, it's difficult trying to find the exact amount of protein and carbs in each meal. Especially when you don't know what each meal might be. Valid point though. Use an app like myfitnesspal

3. Yes.

4. Yes. (wasn't aware of this one actually)

5. Yes

Thanks for the macros. I basically just trying to get a general idea of whether or not this is a decent bulking plan. I'm not a big fan of getting into exact macros either for my day. Most of the time, I am not in a position to eat the same exact thing each day, therefore I usually pick something that is high in protein and calories. While not going overboard with fat, and keeping carbohydrates at a decent level as well. In other words, I am not a dedicated bodybuilder by any means.

Without knowing the macros, the total calories and your TDEE, it's extremely difficult for any of us to comment

^^ bold answers