PDA

View Full Version : What does a WR have to do to win a Heisman?

Masstastic
12-08-2012, 07:15 AM
What kind of numbers do they have to put up to get invited to the ceremony?

Marquise Lee just put up ridiculous numbers but a ****ing LB gets invited because he gets tackles and catches INT's?

They only give the award to running QBs anyways but there are other playmakers just as dangerous.

dirtdickens
12-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Lee was 5 for 70 against ND, 53 of those coming on a BS play. I think you will see a defender win it before a WR just because they can be taken out of games easily and they feed off everyone else.

Masstastic
12-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Lee was 5 for 70 against ND, 53 of those coming on a BS play. I think you will see a defender win it before a WR just because they can be taken out of games easily and they feed off everyone else.

Lee was one of the best returners in the country as well. We're talking all purpose yards that makes him a threat. Yeah a WR can be taken out of the game if his QB can't get him the ball and in the ND game he had a freshman backup out there.

A defender will never win the Heisman unless they play both sides of the ball and are great in special teams.

I remember when Ohio State tried to get Teddy Ginn some Woodson comparisons by letting him play DB for a little bit but he didn't have close to the numbers worthy at that time.

dougefresh93
12-08-2012, 07:25 AM
won't happen, its a QB award for the most part and that will never change.

SpartacusNYC
12-08-2012, 07:27 AM
USC also had 5 losses.

dirtdickens
12-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Lee was one of the best returners in the country as well. We're talking all purpose yards that makes him a threat. Yeah a WR can be taken out of the game if his QB can't get him the ball and in the ND game he had a freshman backup out there.

A defender will never win the Heisman unless they play both sides of the ball and are great in special teams.

I remember when Ohio State tried to get Teddy Ginn some Woodson comparisons by letting him play DB for a little bit but he didn't have close to the numbers worthy at that time.You said WR, obviously PR/KR adds to the chances greatly. I just dont see one winning it unless someone comes out of a prostyle offense and kills it. Dez Bryant was pretty unstoppable, but everyone could see it was all gos and bubbles. His replacement had the same numbers. I really doubt Golden Tate, Julio or AJ Green would have gotten a nod this year either.

Mafiafolife77
12-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Kiffin force fed Marqise Lee the ball a lot this season, which somewhat inflated his stats. Still easily the best WR in CFB and certainly should be considered for the Heisman after winning the Biletnikoff, but there's no way you're going to be a finalist after the season USC just had. Just the way it is.

mavs1041
12-08-2012, 07:41 AM
For one, be on a winning team

dirtdickens
12-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Kiffin force fed Marqise Lee the ball a lot this season, which somewhat inflated his stats. Still easily the best WR in CFB and certainly should be considered for the Heisman after winning the Biletnikoff, but there's no way you're going to be a finalist after the season USC just had. Just the way it is.What the hell happend to Woods this year? That guy was unstoppbale.

Yank11
12-08-2012, 07:49 AM
change positions

Mafiafolife77
12-08-2012, 07:51 AM
What the hell happend to Woods this year? That guy was unstoppbale.

Ask Fatt Barkley and Kiffin. I figured Lee and Woods would both have 1000+ yards this season. If Kiffin knew at all how to call plays or if Barkley had the balls to ever audible, they would have easily done so. Don't even get me started man lol.

Masstastic
12-08-2012, 07:52 AM
For one, be on a winning team

You're right but since Mark Ingram won his Heisman as a RB (when he wasnt even the best RB in the SEC) I am starting to think you have to be on an undefeated #1 ranked team to get invited.

Masstastic
12-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Ask Fatt Barkley and Kiffin. I figured Lee and Woods would both have 1000+ yards this season. If Kiffin knew at all how to call plays or if Barkley had the balls to ever audible, they would have easily done so. Don't even get me started man lol.

You are always mad in December but a **** talking arrogant mother****er from February-August.

Literally you do the same act after every season for as long as I've been on here.

Gator1010
12-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Lick some balls?

CurryTech777
12-08-2012, 08:06 AM
huge yac, which lee has

special teams tds off returns

mavs1041
12-08-2012, 08:08 AM
You're right but since Mark Ingram won his Heisman as a RB (when he wasnt even the best RB in the SEC) I am starting to think you have to be on an undefeated #1 ranked team to get invited.

It's true brah and that's how it should be. You have to have a really good record to be considered for heisman. Not necessarily undefeated or ranked #1 but the "heisman moments" that everyone talks about can only happen in big games that your team wins.

Plus, any WR that has a huge season, most likely his QB will be a heisman finalist and not the WR

DeetsandWatsons
12-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Your would have to be better than Larry Fitzgerald at Pitt and he was fuking amazing. It's a tall task for sure, he was runner up to Jason White (lol) IIRC.

bn7
12-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Unless your team's in the top 2-3 in the nation and people believe you're the guy carrying them, you need to have outrageously awesome numbers similar to what RG3 did last year.

His WR numbers were awesome, but they're not anything that wasn't done by a few other guys this year or the past few years. I'm not sure I buy the all purpose yards thing, look at Tavon Austin's year.

110 receptions - 1259 yards - 12 TD's - 11.4 AVG
61 rushes - 598 yards - 3 TD's - 9.8 AVG
15 Punt Returns - 165 yards - 1 TD - 11.0 AVG
28 Kick Returns - 738 yards - 1 TD - 26.3 AVG

And even when WVU was on fire at the beginning of the year all of the talk was about Geno, if nothing else his all around year probably forced himself into the first round of the draft.

charity4thepoor
12-08-2012, 10:08 AM
death in family

I OuTsiDeR I
12-08-2012, 10:09 AM
You're right but since Mark Ingram won his Heisman as a RB (when he wasnt even the best RB in the SEC) I am starting to think you have to be on an undefeated #1 ranked team to get invited. Offense is always glorified and it's a QB or RB award. Also people take into account best player on the best team etc.

Really Heisman is a joke.

erdons
12-08-2012, 10:11 AM
You are always mad in December but a **** talking arrogant mother****er from February-August.

Literally you do the same act after every season for as long as I've been on here.

Evidently you lived under a rock while USC had its epic run up until 2009....

scotyg
12-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Unless your team's in the top 2-3 in the nation and people believe you're the guy carrying them, you need to have outrageously awesome numbers similar to what RG3 did last year.

His WR numbers were awesome, but they're not anything that wasn't done by a few other guys this year or the past few years. I'm not sure I buy the all purpose yards thing, look at Tavon Austin's year.

110 receptions - 1259 yards - 12 TD's - 11.4 AVG
61 rushes - 598 yards - 3 TD's - 9.8 AVG
15 Punt Returns - 165 yards - 1 TD - 11.0 AVG
28 Kick Returns - 738 yards - 1 TD - 26.3 AVG

And even when WVU was on fire at the beginning of the year all of the talk was about Geno, if nothing else his all around year probably forced himself into the first round of the draft.

reminds me of darren sproles junior year. over 1900 yards rushing, led the nation in all-purpose yards, team was 11-3 and big 12 champs, and he came like 5th in the voting. kind of a kick in the nuts that Jason White won it after being demolished by k-state in the title game.