PDA

View Full Version : Dietry advice needed - currently not lifting

SwoleLikeYates
11-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Hey all,

new to the forums and after a bit of serious help/advice if possible.

I was really into my training 5-6 years ago and had some good size/definition. It's been that long since I last lifted however, and since then have lost most of my muscle and a large amount of body fat, largely due to clean eating and cutting out the booze. I am the lightest I've weighed since I was probably 16 years old (dropped around 20kg of muscle/fat).

I'm keen to get back into the training, this time focusing more on the nutrition side.

I'm wanting to know what people would recommend I be eating in the meantime as a good staple diet?

I've got some good little abs going (without exercise), and want to have a good foundation for when I get back into it.

I work an active job, but other than that am really not exercising at all (cycle once a week, and will be back playing basketball next season). I have a fast metabolism though, and am naturally a slim build.

Currently I'm eating the usual 3 square meals a day with snacking in between.

Can be broken down as follows:

Breakfast - 3 egg omelet with spinach leaves, protein shake, 1 banana, 4-5 strawberries, few blueberries

Mid-morning - apple or pear, handful of almonds, cut up carrot

Lunch - 200g odd lean chicken breast or 100g odd roast turkey or can of tuna (95g) all usually with salad (tomato, cucumber, avocado, lettuce, snow peas etc)

Afternoon - can of tuna (95g) sometimes, handful of raw cashews, celery sticks

Dinner - 200g odd lean chicken breast or a steak or 1 piece flat-head fish with veggies (steamed broccoli, cauliflower, peas, sweet potato), sometimes with rice (now switching to brown long-grain).

After dinner - 1 apple or some other type of fruit

I drink 3-4 cups of green tea a day.

So in summary, here's my questions:

1. Am I eating too much fruit?
2. What weights of protein should I be roughly looking to eat per serve? (I don't weigh anything, just go by feel/hunger-factor).
3. More carbs?

Like I said, I'm NOT currently training. I just want to know what I should/can be eating to have the best lead-up I can, and to better/further my abs going into beach season.

I aim to be back into a full training program within the next couple of months. My goal will be to put on some serious size/definition.

Any relevant input is greatly appreciated!

Menschie
11-30-2012, 05:51 PM
1. Not too much fruit if it works for you.
2. Right now, not working out, you're not in need of any meaningful muscle repair so worrying about protein shouldn't really be on your radar.

When you start your program the only thing that'll really change is (a) calories in and (b) protein in. Looks like you've got a good handle on nutrition and you've been down this road before. g/l!

rand18m
11-30-2012, 06:03 PM
You need a little help learning the basics.

Why don't you start here and learn the basics, post back with your TEE and your macro determinations for feedback.

The only way you could be eating too much fruit is if that put you caloric intake too high. Again, start with these links!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851

SwoleLikeYates
11-30-2012, 07:02 PM
When you start your program the only thing that'll really change is (a) calories in and (b) protein in. Looks like you've got a good handle on nutrition and you've been down this road before. g/l!

thanks mate, appreciate the comments.

SwoleLikeYates
11-30-2012, 07:06 PM
You need a little help learning the basics.

Why don't you start here and learn the basics, post back with your TEE and your macro determinations for feedback.

The only way you could be eating too much fruit is if that put you caloric intake too high.

Thanks for the reply. I briefly skimmed the nutrition for newbies before posting. I'll make sure to check it a bit more thoroughly again.
Calculating calories and macros seemed a bit more advanced for my purpose. Will take another look and see if I can work it out.

Cheers