PDA

View Full Version : Are carbs negatively affecting my training

MatthRaw
11-29-2012, 03:21 PM
The main staple of my diet is to consume 180g protein per day which I hit everyday however I try to keep my carbs as low as possible, at breakfast il have scrambled egg on toast or whole meal porridge, for lunch I eat 2 chicken breasts and for dinner I usually eat fish/chicken/steak with green beans/peas and then either a jacket potatoe or sometimes home made low fat chips. So really I have very little carbs in my diet, is this affecting my burn out time in the gym as some days I go in and struggle to hit the same weight I did the weak before, is this just an off day or could it be to do with what I've eaten that day?

ArchangelEST
11-29-2012, 03:23 PM
The main staple of my diet is to consume 180g protein per day which I hit everyday however I try to keep my carbs as low as possible, at breakfast il have scrambled egg on toast or whole meal porridge, for lunch I eat 2 chicken breasts and for dinner I usually eat fish/chicken/steak with green beans/peas and then either a jacket potatoe or sometimes home made low fat chips. So really I have very little carbs in my diet, is this affecting my burn out time in the gym as some days I go in and struggle to hit the same weight I did the weak before, is this just an off day or could it be to do with what I've eaten that day?

More than likely - yes. Carbs are the preferred source of energy for high intensity activities. While adjusting to ketosis you can function, and some people do indeed function rather well on it, but in general - you won't be able to output as much power or for as long on a low carb diet than you could while eating more carbs.
In your case where you may actually hover between ketosis and not, you may suffer the worst of both worlds. Where not enough free sugars are available for optimal continued physical intense exercise and at the same time, your body has not switched to ketones to any significant degree. Meaning you'll struggle to get enough energy from fat mobilization and trying to produce usable energy from proteins.

weknow24
11-29-2012, 03:38 PM

what about fat? how much fat you getting? insufficient fat is more important than lack of carbs

MatthRaw
11-29-2012, 03:47 PM
what about fat? how much fat you getting? insufficient fat is more important than lack of carbs

Around 65 grams on average.. This would make sense as I'm also getting tired very easily after an 8/9 hour sleep by midday I'm shattered, so should I up my carbs or how do I adjust to ketones

Tdiguy
11-29-2012, 03:57 PM
oh lord ^^^^^^ lol

ArchangelEST
11-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Around 65 grams on average.. This would make sense as I'm also getting tired very easily after an 8/9 hour sleep by midday I'm shattered, so should I up my carbs or how do I adjust to ketones

Let me see. You are 6'1, 210lb - around what I am.

And you eat 180g of protein and 65g of fat. Those are passable numbers technically. But you're probably hovering around 50-100g of carbs. So your total energy intake is what. Under 2000kcal? That's also the reason you are tired. Not enough carbs is part of it, but if you are low calorie as-well, you are really shooting yourself in the foot here.

Up EVERYTHING. :)

Add protein, add fat, add carbs. An individual of your height and weight who lifts at a gym should be looking for around 3000kcal or so to maintain weight. And probably shouldn't go below 2500kcal while cutting, unless trying to get really, really lean.

vladpower
11-30-2012, 12:41 AM
Right now you're running on low carbs. You're consuming too many carbs to be keto, and your consuming to few carbs to efficiently run on carbs.

Option 1: Go keto. You'll have to cut carbs down to just greens for health and fiber. You'll also have to cut protein to 120-130 grams a day. Any more than that will turn to glucose, possibly taking you out of ketosis. You will also have to increase your fat to meet your daily calorie/macro needs.

Option 2(Preferable IMO): You start pounding down carbs. Fruits sweet potato, whatever. I also recommend getting a glucose meter. This way you can play around with your diet for a while until you find something you like.

I'm about an inch shorter and 10 lbs lighter than you. I eat around 120 grams of protein a day, 450-500 grams of carbs, and 40 grams of fat. I work 60-70 hours a week and I'm on the go so a huge staple is bananas, I eat around 10 a day. I used to eat more fat/protein and less carbs, but after some experimenting I found this keeps me lean (I was bloated after sushi from the green hulk pic lol), keeps my strength up, hormones are raging, and I feel great.

I do highly recommend you get a glucose meter to continually check blood sugar before you start pounding down bananas ;)